"Gravity Failed!"

Protech975

Reaction
\"Gravity Failed!\"

OK this is just for fun, Lets hear about your favorite or worst racing crash story! Weather it was your fault or in my case "gravity temporarily failed" or just plain bad luck, lets hear about the carnage that sometimes befalls even the best of drivers! Truth can be streched only slightly please... RS

MikeAdams

Reaction
Re: \"Gravity Failed!\"

Two Sundays ago out in Plaster City we were testing a friends 5-1600 car. We got there, unloaded, warmed the engine, charged the shocks, and wadded the car within 30 minutes of arriving. We were in a rythym section, caught a whoop wrong, and it set the car over, and over, and over...

Luckily no one was hurt. Plaster City seemed to have beat a few cars this month.

I'm ready to seriously look into building a nine car. I can't afford a 1600, and I have a lot of parts for the nine. The 5-1600 just resembles a beach ball in too many ways.....

Who's next?

racer951

Reaction

Nothing too bad, my 2nd race out I rolled it in Henderson, man it goes quick! My old man's co-driver Donnie Broach back in the 70's was burned really badly after rolling, not as bad as art's injuries, but it wasn't pretty for a while.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction

1 month ago at the Code/Frt race in Jacume, Tecate, I rolled in the first turn off the start. 200 yards from the green flag and I roll hard. The car made it completely around back onto the tires, so I fired it back up and kept going. Bent axles, wheels, mangled front bumper, mangled mirrors and lid but still managed to finish. Got third place out of 11 entries (not counting passing all but one 5/1600).

Protech975

Reaction

This is my story! It was Jan 2000 the first MORE race of the year and I was out testing our 9 car in Barstow the Sat. before the race, I was on a test track near the S&F and on the first round just as I came over a small hill at speed I met a class 1 coming the opposite direction at full speed, he went right, I went right and we missed by inches but I also slid into a wash and clipped a bush with my left rear and did a soft 1x3/4 barrel roll. I bent an axle and tore up the spare tire mount and mirrors.
So back in the shop we got the car fixed, reprepped and ready to start first off the line at the race on Sat. I took off '"Way to Stoked" and not 1/2 a mile from the start came to a notorious hole in the track that I have prerun about 10,000 times in the last 25 years and hit it hide open in 3rd gear! I immediately knew I had screwed up big time as the car rode up on the nose and I found myself looking straight at the ground for what seemed like forever, I then did exactly what I should not have done I tapped the brakes and that instantly sent me into what the spectators later told me was a sweet once over endo! I landed on the wheels and after the dust settled I fired the engine up and took off again not losing more than 10 seconds. Bent the same axle and this time tore off the spare tire and brand new mount but we did manage to hang in there and take a tough fought first place by 4 minutes and eventually went on to win the points race that year. One roll and one endo in the same car in 7 days!