• Forum membership has its advantages....

Green Sticker - need help

LAPoliceGear.com

I have a new 6100 truck from HnM Racing. I went into the DMV today to try and get a CA Green sticker. They refused to register my truck or start any process. They said if the vehicle does not have emissions stickers they can not start registration on it without a letter from the CA Air Resource Board authorizing them to register it. I explained this was a race truck. They said they understood that and it didn't matter. WTF?!?

Question #1 - Do you need a Green Sticker to race?? I heard you do.

Question #2 - How has anyone here registered a new race vehicle in the last year or so and successful got a CA Green Sticker???

Bro_Gill

First, the problem. I do not know what the number needed now is, but most likely HnM is registered as a vehicle builder with the State of California. As such, if they build the minimum number of vehicles needed to qualify, they must also make sure that the vehicles they sell are compliant with Cali smog laws. If the chassis was purchased unfinished and you finished it, and you can prove that, you need to qualify that with receipts showing that you assembled it and should eliminate the need for smog. If you can't do that or it has already been register as a vehicle chassis with DMV that was completed, you will have to meet the smog requirements for the year of the motor when it was factory built with all factory parts needed. If she did not start an action in regards to your truck, you are in luck. Make sure you ASSEMBLE the proper paperwork that shows that you ASSEMBLED this truck at home with parts you purchased yourself and then register it as a homebuilt OHV needing a green sticker. I will PM you with more info about this.

LAPoliceGear.com

First, the problem. I do not know what the number needed now is, but most likely HnM is registered as a vehicle builder with the State of California. As such, if they build the minimum number of vehicles needed to qualify, they must also make sure that the vehicles they sell are compliant with Cali smog laws. If the chassis was purchased unfinished and you finished it, and you can prove that, you need to qualify that with receipts showing that you assembled it and should eliminate the need for smog. If you can't do that or it has already been register as a vehicle chassis with DMV that was completed, you will have to meet the smog requirements for the year of the motor when it was factory built with all factory parts needed. If she did not start an action in regards to your truck, you are in luck. Make sure you ASSEMBLE the proper paperwork that shows that you ASSEMBLED this truck at home with parts you purchased yourself and then register it as a homebuilt OHV needing a green sticker. I will PM you with more info about this.
HnM is NOT a registered manufacturer. No reg or anything has been done on this truck. There is no VIN on it yet.

07FJRog

You have to make an appt with chp, bring receipts for everything you paid for. They will give it a blue tag "VIN" and check the number of the engine to see if it was stolen. Then you take paperwork to dmv to reg as OHV.
Bring receipts for everything that you paid taxes on, if you have receipts for anything else and no taxes, then you will.pay dmv for those.
I have done this 4 times in cal this way. No problems.

green787

HnM is NOT a registered manufacturer. No reg or anything has been done on this truck. There is no VIN on it yet.
That's right.... the FIRST thing you have to do is go to CHP inspection.... Your truck should be on a registered and legal trailer, and do not unload the vehicle until the fine officers tell you to....
Then they typically take the truck in back somewhere.... actually drive it.... (the inspector is a bad @$$ and wants to drive your vehicle to see if it's "driveable".... If he can't get in and turn the key and drive it, then he starts questioning whether it's indeed anything that he would want to approve as a vehicle....
Then they ask you to wait in a waiting room, so they can easily handcuff you when the numbers come up wrong somehow.... You don't have numbers.... Tell them YOU built it.... or they will want paperwork from the manufacturers....
They will attach a small plate in what seems to be the stupidest place possible...
Then you can go to the DMV and get your green sticker.... I've always had one.... It's worth whatever hassle you have to go through to get it.....

Baja Fool

Just finished this process. Go to the DMV, tell them you want register an off road vehicle. You will need to provide the "receipts" to show the value of the vehicle,(BTW I did not take the vehicle). Adjust those figures accordingly as you will be taxed. Be prepared to pay those taxes along with the registration fees at that time. Explain that this vehicle was recently built by a shop, not a manufacturer and it is off road only. They will provide you with documentation to take to CHP office to obtain a "VIN" number for the vehicle. You will need to find a CHP office that provides that service. Not all CHP offices have this service. You will most likely have to make an appointment with them to bring the vehicle to the CHP office on a Trailer and I did not have to unload it. DO NOT go to the CHP if you have not paid the above mentioned fees. Simple; no money paid, no VIN. There they will inspect the vehicle ask you various questions regarding cost, who the manufacturer is....with me they seemed to just shotgun a bunch of unrelated questions ending up with "what are you going to do with it." Keep your receipts with you at all times and make copies.

Then they will apply your VIN number probably in close proximity to the driver seat and issue some paperwork to take back to the DMV (Yes, you go again). For me, I did not have to take my vehicle to the DMV, I just made my appointment, went up showed them my paperwork from the CHP and they issued my Green Sticker. This was my experience, others may have a different experience than I. But I did receive my Green Sticker. Buenas Suerte!

Last edited:

green787

I unloaded the green787 at the Temucula DMV.... Across the street.... So I drove my unregistered truck across the street to DMV, and boom, I was in big trouble right from the start..... I had to argue that it's legal for any farm vehicle to cross the road at 90 degree angles.... Then he dropped the issue.... So don't unload your vehicle until told to do so...

07FJRog

Tou can print your own form from the dmv website to take to chp.

LAPoliceGear.com

Great info guys. Thanks very much!

But some are saying goto DMV first while others say goto CHP first for the VIN. I have already talked to the local CHP and they say they can do the new VIN thing for me no prob. But they said they want me to leave the vehicle there for about a day for them to do their thing. Local CHP is very helpful.

green787

Great info guys. Thanks very much!

But some are saying goto DMV first while others say goto CHP first for the VIN. I have already talked to the local CHP and they say they can do the new VIN thing for me no prob. But they said they want me to leave the vehicle there for about a day for them to do their thing. Local CHP is very helpful.
I think most of us went to DMV first, and were told we would have to go to CHP.... I don't think DMV can issue anything without a VIN number.....

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
But they said they want me to leave the vehicle there for about a day for them to do their thing
I know nothing about the retarded Cali laws and don't mean to troll this thread, but that right there sounds like they wanna play with your car for a day without you watching, and then give it back to you. Lmao.

07FJRog

Chp wont mess with your car, i never even started any of mine for them. If you ask they will most likely put the tag where you want it as well, as long as they can get to the locarion to drill for the rivots

D-rek

We registered our ten car last year and the CHP requires 4 receipts chassis, motor, transmission and body. If you have paid sales tax on the parts you don't have to pay taxes on the build