Groove on radiator lines

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I'm going to fab up some aluminum radiator lines and I need to have a groove put on the ends to help keep the hoses form sliding off. Where is a good place or how are these grooves made?

Now that I think about it, they are not grooves but the opposite of a groove. The bump that is on the end of a hard line.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
PDM, most any shop should be able to do the bead rolls for your lines. I have also seen folks weld a bead around the outside of the tube when a roller was not available.

07FJRog

Reaction
I'm going to fab up some aluminum radiator lines and I need to have a groove put on the ends to help keep the hoses form sliding off. Where is a good place or how are these grooves made?

Now that I think about it, they are not grooves but the opposite of a groove. The bump that is on the end of a hard line.

Come up to Ramona, HRT Motorsports can do that for you. 760-788-0019.

Rog

scottm

Reaction
I just weld beads on. Welding tip - make the piece of tubing longer than you need, weld the bead on where you want it, then cut off the extra tube just past the bead. Its easier than trying to weld alum tube close to the end.

DBMETALWORX

Reaction
Try williams lowbuck tools, they sell a specialized beader just for that, if you're gonna do lots of them. But if you're only doin it for your self once or twice, then i would weld a bead as mentioned above, works great either way. All you need is a tig welder, or a "bead form". I have also used 2 hose clamps on a smooth tube, with no problems.

punchdrunk monkey

Reaction
I thought about welding the bead. I was worried that if the welds were inconsistant in size it might leak. I guess the hose will form around the welds.

scottm

Reaction
The bead is just there to stop it from sliding off. The seal is made on the bare tube behind the bead.

manicmechanic

Reaction
I never tried it on aluminum, but for steel line I just use a flairing tool. With 2 clamps 1 for sealing and 1 so it cant slip over the flair on the end.