GTA 3 - Playstation 2

EQuin

Reaction
Hey Guys,

After PS2 dropped its price, I went ahead and bought the console to see what it's all about. I heard that GTA 3 is a must have, so I bought that game, along with a cheaper PS 1 game. Anyway, when I put the GTA 3 disc in, nothing happens. But when I put the PS 1 game in (Driver 2), it starts up. Is my GTA 3 disc broken? Or do I need some kind of memory card or something? I read the manual for both the console and the GTA 3 game, but I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if I need something else to play GTA 3. Any ideas, tips or advice for this PS2 newbie?

By the way, I plan on getting WRC, Smugglers Run (is the PS1 version any good, or should I just go with the more expensive PS2 version?), Paris Dakar and any other racing games y'all recommend.

Thanks for any info and take care,

Ed Q.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
You shouldn't need a memory card to just play any game. You need a memory card to save your games. If your system is new and plays other PS2 games then maybe your GT3 game is busted. Return it and get a new one. It is a great game...I would get smugglers run 2 and WRC but not the paris dakar. That game is fun at first but it gets monotonous. My $.02

BRAAAAAAAAP!

EQuin

Reaction
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to rent a PS2 game from Blockbuster and see if it works. If it does, then I guess the GTA 3 disc is broken. If not, then I guess the console is broken.

I'll check out Smuggler's Run 2 and definitely WRC. Thanks for the advice on Paris Dakar. Maybe I'll just rent it so when it gets monotonous, I can simply return it. Any other off-road racing games worthy of buying?

Take care,

Ed Q.

mxjeremy

Reaction
yeah, you should get ATV off-road fury. It' by the same guys who made motocross madness, and it is the most realistic motocross/atv game ever. You can just pick up and play, but shaving valuable seconds off of each lap by timing the rhythm sections perfectly will make it much easier to pass the game. And after you pass it, you get a 1000cc 2-stroke super quad, which can jump something like 600ft, just like real life.

I like to put the camera on sideview, and then try to do a big slow wheelie for miles. Lean all the way back, and just balance the wheelie with throttle. Once you get this down, you can also "bunny hop" the bike, by getting the front end up high, and jammin on the brakes while leaning forward. One more advanced thing to do is a stoppie, but in this game you have to do a wheelie first, then transfer all your weight forward, while braking, and try to balance the bike on it's nose without going over the bars. good luck,
late.

EQuin

Reaction
Thanks for the suggestion on ATV off road fury. I'll check that one out. You also mentioned motorcross madness. Is that a good one, too? Are both of these PS1 or PS2 games?

Ed Q.

gary

Reaction
atv fury is now a ps2 greatest hit game....it's 20 bucks now...just buy it, cuz you'll dig it...

EQuin

Reaction
Dang, $20 is a great deal for that game! Thanks for the info!

By the way, I found out it was the console that was defective after trying to play some other PS2 games I rented from Blockbuster. Exchanged it for another one, and it works fine now.

GTA 3 here I come!

Ed Q.

Jimmy8

Reaction
The EA sports version of Formula 1 2001 is an awesome game. Definately worth getting. My PS2 goes between WRC and F1 right now. Quad Fury is also an awesome game. It is endless amounts of fun.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

gary

Reaction
anybody tried the new world of outlaws/sprint car game yet? if it's at all decent, it oughta be fun...sliding big horsepower/winged cars sideways thru the turns looks cool...colin mcrae 3 is coming out in a few months-that'll probably be pretty good...did you notice his name is left out of WRC? there's also some type of off road game coming out, which i cannot remember the title of at the moment, but i recall it being very similar to the arcade game...the one that you get to drive ivan's truck, ragland's old chevy, or the class one buggy, arciero i think...
i can hope...

EQuin

Reaction
Thanks for those suggestions, Jimmy. The local Blockbuster had the Formula 1 2001 game, but it was already checked out. Come to think of it, all the games y'all mentioned were checked out - the bastages!

Ed Q.

mxjeremy

Reaction
EQuin,
sorry for the late reply.....
motocross madness (1 and 2) are PC games by microsoft, but actually coded by rainbow studios who also makes atv offroad fury for ps2. All of them are awesome, but I can no longer run motocross madness, because I upgraded to Windows 2000 and it isn't compatible. I haven't looked into this much, but I will soon load XP which should let me play it. What I'm hoping happens is that since motocross madness was released by microsoft, they will come out with a motocross madness 3, but on XBOX. That would be so sick ! ! ! In fact, It would be better than sick, it would be SO SACK ! ! !
late.

gary

Reaction
so i trade in paris-dakar, and gt2 (forgot i still had it), to buy the sprint car game..way cool, if you're okay with lotsa left turns. seems kinda easy in practice mode, once you get the hang of sliding 'em-- but add in the traffic in race mode, and it gets way harder.
I LIKE!!!!!
only one bad thing...i've got a ps1 controller for a second controller, and it doesn't work with this game. fine with everything else, but not this one game. weird, huh?

CoiloverKid

Reaction
i hear there's a offroad game being developed right now that's the Gran Turismo of offroad. lots of trucks too! i'm super mega stoked on this! i'll find out more, and keep you posted.

+=UBCS Fo LIFE=+

EQuin

Reaction
Yeah, that sprint car game sounds pretty cool, especially if you get to slide around! So PS1 controllers also work with the PS2 console (with the exception of the sprint car game)?

Ed Q.