H&M's i-beams.......

motoxscott

Reaction
H&M\'s i-beams.......

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do on a '95 F-150 yet in regards to front suspension. I do know I want to go equal length and run a 2.5 coilover and a 3" triple bypass per wheel, and swing set steering.

Does anyone have any input on the ibeam kit H&M builds? What kind of travel they're getting out of it? I'm shooting for the 18"-20" range.

Here's a link to their page about it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hnmmotorsports.com/f150equallength.shtml>http://www.hnmmotorsports.com/f150equallength.shtml</A>

I plan on talking to H&M about it, but wanted to get some feedback here first.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

FORDTECH

Reaction
Re: H&M\'s i-beams.......

i saw newlines equal lenght kit at the off road expo. it looked all bolt on the swing set steering and every thing. it looked nice you should check it out there wed site is newline-products .com and phone nimber is 714 774 5877

im not afraid of dying ,i just dont want to be there when it happens !

Gabe Lara

Reaction

Scott,
I'll send yu a pic of the Newline kit fully installed when its on my Ranger.
Nestor and the guys are finishing it up this week, along with some other "goodies".

-Gabe

motoxscott

Reaction

I'm still not sure whether to go the king-pin route or ball joint. This wont be a daily driver, but will see enough asphalt as it is.

Any feedback from anyone who's built a quality i-beam F-150 would be great.

motoxscott

Reaction

I just talked to H&M about this so I thought I'd post some of my findings just in case anyone else was curious.

Their equal length i-beam kit will pull about 18-20" just bolting them on. If you ditch the AC and go with a swing-set steering setup you can get up to about 26" with them. Their i beam brackets bolt to some existing holes in the frame and then are welded on.

I'm seriously considering ditching the OEM A/C so that I can get that amount of travel and fit a 2.5 c/o and 3.0 bypass. Has anyone else done this and moved the A/C under the dash or anything?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

Do you really need that much travel? That is more than some TT's. If you have the 18-20" properly set up, you should be able to go almost as hard as with the 26".

See ya in the dirt!

motoxscott

Reaction

I'm not shooting for the most. I probably wont set it up for more than 22" just because of the camber it would have at full droop. I'm looking for the 20-22 range. I'm planning on linking the rear as well. I want to get as close as I can to having a full street legal race truck.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

You are going to have to go with vintage air and if you ask Scott Spindola he can tell you about it...he tried it and ended up yankin it.

As for the travel...that is a little extreme. Do you plan on putting 500 HP in it?

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction

Scott, what was there take on the difference between ball joints and the kingpin front end. It would seem to me that ball joints would be a lot weaker, I am sure they could build them either way, Just wondering if you asked.

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction

I say keep the A/C and run the 18-20" with the coilover and bypass. You'll miss the A/C when you go playing. Its nice rolling around the desert with the windows up. I WANT to add a bypass to the front of my truck but I dont NEED too. It rides nice with just the coilover for a daily driver but I want the capability to adjust the front. I have also heard of people running a 2.0 Coil carrier and a 3" bypass if room is an issue. Just my 2 cents.

motoxscott

Reaction

Kris: Yes my plans are to build up the motor pretty good, that wont happen right away though.

John: Yes I talked to them about king pin vs ball joint. King pin is the stronger way to go, it just ends up costing a lot more, through them at least. They end up building custom spindles and hubs.

Steve: If I loose the A/C it wont be for long, A/C is manditory. I can remember the times when I was going to havasu through the summer with the A/C off, windows down and heater on to keep my ranger from overheating. I will not re-live that again.

I'm still up in the air on exactly what I'm gonna do. Right now I'm doing research.................

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction

Its all about vintage air!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Greg

Reaction

I have 19" of "real" travel, I'd love to see what 26" looks like. As for the king-pin vs. ball joint issue, some will say the king pins are stronger, but the hot ticket seems to be 4x beam ends (ball joint/ floater). I know a couple people who actually use thier trucks that have this set-up and it works great. Any of the engineer types on this board ever do the calcs to see what the load on a king pin is with 37" tires at full compersion vs. a ball joint front end under the same conditions? It'd be insteresting to know.

Greg

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

Kris where are you? I see a paper on the horizon! :)

See ya in the dirt!

RacerX

Reaction

You dont have to totally ditch the AC. I have an F-150 with bent beams and 35's. My bro made me a new AC box. I tore mine out about 2 years ago, and I mean tore it out completly, blower motor and box. Here are 3 pics of it. It is moved up considerably. You can see the maroon color where the box mounted to. That is the lowest point on the box. Now figure that the old box came out of the firewall about a foot if I am correct. The tire never comes close to hitting it now. New beams are in the making.

Attachments

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

The loads will be similar but the stresses will be different. somebody give me some cross sections of a kingpin end and a bj end and a fake force simulating bottoming and I will be glad to do the calculations.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

I love you engineer types! I would be SOOOO lost just looking at it!!!

See ya in the dirt!