• Forum membership has its advantages....

Hail Rally

spalind

Going on now...

The Ex-RG Hummer is back in action with Yazeed behind the wheel

BUT....Who is leading the event? That's right...a Nissan....

Driven by Ahmed Al-Shegawi, the Nissan was flown into the race without an engine from South Africa in the past week. The V8 engine was shipped from SA separately to avoid customs issues, the SA Nissan team lead by Terrance Marsh, who has been managing SA Nissan teams in the Dakar the past few years, flew in, reassembled the truck and off they went...I was merely hoping for a decent showing to encourage buyers to put in some more orders for the V8 Nissans they are producing but this is way better than that so far!

spalind

In looking up info on Ahmed it appears he ran in the '16 Dakar behind the wheel of one of the big trucks and has entered at least one eWRC event previously. He has purchased this V8 Nissan already and this is its first event. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see it at Dakar next year!

GEO_DXB

Al Shegawi is a well-known Saudi racer. Drove Nissans and at some point a Chevy protruck at various events. Maryan Chytka, the well-known fotographer is now in Hail, a few pics on his social media profiles.
Emil Kneisser driving a UAE-prepared Nissan Patrol Y62 T2 is racing as well.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Friday, March 11th, 2016

SAUDI’S AL-SHEGAWI CLAIMS FASTEST TIME ON OPENING LEG OF HA’IL NISSAN RALLY
  • Yazeed Al-Rajhi keeps overall lead; T3 advantage for UAE’s Khalid Al-Jaflah
  • Abdul-Majed Al-Khulaifi leads quad category; problems for Ahmed Al-Nasser
HA’IL (Saudi Arabia): Saudi driver Ahmed Al-Shegawi and his Emirati navigator Arif Yousef Mohammed were the surprise winners of the opening leg of the Ha’il Nissan International Rally on Friday morning.

The Nissan pairing clocked a time of 1hr 26min 05sec on the 123.40km selective section to beat super special stage winners, Yazeed Al-Rajhi and German navigator Timo Gottschalk, by 1min 06sec.

But Al-Shegawi had been slower than his illustrious rivals through Thursday’s short opener and the cumulative time meant that Al-Rajhi maintained a 27-second overall lead in the unofficial results to take into the final three days of Saudi Arabia’s premier motor sporting event.

The four-time winner complained that he had lost his way for a time and also suffered a minor engine issue on his Hummer, although Yazeed will start directly behind Al-Shegawi on Saturday. “It was not the best of days and we didn’t get the stage win, but I’m well placed to push again tomorrow and maintain the overall lead,” said Al-Rajhi.

Lying in an unofficial third overall at the overnight halt is the Saudi Nissan driver Khalid Al-Fraihi, while T2 leader Meshaal Al-Saeedi is fourth, also driving a Nissan. The title sponsoring Japanese car manufacturer has no less than eight cars inside the unofficial top 10.

Friday’s special started 25.71km from Ha’il at As Sufon before finishing at Camb Al Dolo’o, 88.4km from the overnight halt. Although short by Ha’il standards, it was a tricky stage nonetheless and several drivers experienced problems.

After suffering overheating woes on the road section to today’s stage, Bahrain’s Hassan Al-Sadadi failed to start in his Predator Buggy, which he had built himself with backing from Oman’s Nizar Al-Shanfari.

There were delays for former winner Ibrahim Al-Muhanna and Mohammed Al-Tuwaijri, who started the special from third place and was running quickest at one point on the stage until he dropped over an hour with mechanical issues.

Qatar’s Sheikh Hamed bin Eid Al-Thani began the day from second position on the road in his Nissan, but the 1993 FIA Middle East rally champion could not match the pace of some of the local drivers and reached the finish with the 13th quickest time after losing ground over the closing kilometres. The Qatar reached the stage finish 53 seconds in front of Lebanon’s Emil Khneisser in his Nissan Middle East-backed Patrol running in the T2 category. Al-Thani and Khneisser are now 11th and 13th overall.

Ahmed Al-Sabban is celebrating 25 years in motor sport with the number 25 displayed on his Ford Raptor. The Saudi clocked the 20th quickest time on the day’s stage and holds an unofficial 19th overall.

The UAE duo of Khalid Al-Jaflah and Ahmed Malik continued to lead the T3 category in their Yamaha and posted a time of 1hr 39min 48sec. They are 12th overall.

Eight quads and the solitary Honda 450 motorcycle of Ahmed Al-Nasser began the event. Victory on the super special stage to determine the starting order on Thursday afternoon had fallen to Hamad Abdullah Fahad-Hdayyan. He started in front of one of the pre-rally favourites and last year’s quad category winner Abdul-Majeed Al-Khulaifi.

But Al-Khulaifi was not to be denied on this occasion and the Saudi Kawasaki rider won the special. Abdulsalam Rami Hamam was second on a Yamaha quad, but Al-Nasser suffered problems on his two-wheel Honda.

The rally is being staged under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Bin Abdul Aziz, Governor of Ha’il, President of the Supreme Commission for Ha’il Development and the Head of the Supreme Commission of the Ha’il Rally. The SAMF runs under the chairmanship of His Royal Highness Prince Sultan Bin Bandar Al-Faisal and the event is being organised in conjunction with the High Authority for the Development of Ha’il.

The competition becomes much more difficult on Saturday, when drivers and riders tackle the longer 216.40km selective section through the An Nafud desert that loops around the start and finish area in Baqa’a. The action gets underway for the cars at 09.45hrs after a 110.2km road liaison section from the overnight halt at the Maghwat conference centre.

Ha'il Nissan International Rally – leading positions after Leg 1 (unofficial @ 11.50hrs):

1. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU)/Timo Gottschalk (DEU) Hummer 1hr 31min 55sec
2. Ahmed Al-Shegawi (SAU)/Arif Yousef Al-Mohammed (ARE) Nissan 1hr 32min 22sec
3. Khalif Al-Fraihi (SAU)/Ali Obaid (ARE) Nissan 1hr 41min 38sec
4. Meshaal Al-Saeedi (SAU)/Bandar Al-Saeedi (SAU) Nissan T2 1hr 41min 46sec
5. Faris Al-Mashna (SAU)/Saud Al-Zayed (SA) Nissan 1hr 41min 50sec
6. Ahmed Al-Gashami (SAU)/Waleed Al-Fiuam (SAU) Nissan 1hr 42min 42sec
6. Ahmed Abdullah Al-Shehail (SAU)/Rasheed Mslet (SAU) Nissan 1hr 42min 42sec
6. Saad Salman (SAU)/Nawaf Al-Anzi (SAU) Toyota 1hr 42min 42sec
9. Reza Lefa Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Abdullah Ataiwaan (SAU) Nissan 1hr 43min 09sec
10. Rajah Farhan Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Mubarak Al-Shammeri (SAU) Nissan 1hr 43min 31sec
11. Hamed bin Eid Al-Thani (QAT)/Fares Allouh (JOR) Nissan 1hr 45min 21sec
12. Khalid Al-Jaflah (ARE)/Ahmad Malik (ARE) Yamaha T3 1hr 45min 38sec

Follow the rally live:

Results:

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/posi/HAIL16/web/index.php/display/index/

Tracking:

TDCOM e-viewer satellite tracking system

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
For immediate release
Saturday, March 12th, 2016

SAUDI’S YAZEED AL-RAJHI STORMS INTO BIG LEAD IN HA’IL NISSAN RALLY
  • Nissan’s Khalid Al-Fraihi holds second; Al-Thani delayed; Seaidan rolls his Toyota
  • Ahmed Al-Nasser and Abdul-Majed Al-Khulaifi lead motorcycle and quad sections
HA’IL (Saudi Arabia): Saudi driver Yazeed Al-Rajhi and German navigator Timo Gottschalk extended their overall lead in the Ha’il Nissan International Rally from 9min 43sec to a massive 37min 17sec after the second selective section around Baqa’a on Saturday.

The Hummer driver was in scintillating form and crushed the opposition with a time of 2hr 42min 12sec to finish the day’s timed section 26min 47sec in front of runner-up Rajah-Farhan Al-Shammeri.

Khalid Al-Fraihi, driving the first of a fleet of Nissans in the top 10, finished the special in third and holds second overall. T2 leader Rajah-Fahan Al-Shammeri is third and Saad Salman and Ahmed Al-Gashimi round off the unofficial top five.

“I am very happy with the stage and was able to extend my lead today,” said Al-Rajhi. “I was able to win the stage for the third day, but it was not easy and there were tricky places where I was cautious to avoid making a mistake.”

Ahmed Al-Shegawi’s delight at winning the opening leg had been short lived when the Saudi incurred a time penalty for a route infringement and dropped from second overall to 32nd at the start of Saturday’s stage. The decision promoted Al-Fraihi to second overall and Qatar’s Sheikh Hamed bin Eid Al-Thani into the top 10 at the start of the day.

Crews tackled a much longer selective section on Saturday that looped for 216.40km along a route around Baqa’a. Al-Rajhi was the first on the road in his Hummer and began to storm clear of his rivals. He reached the first of the major checkpoints three minutes ahead of Shegawi, 6min 02sec in front of runaway T3 leader Khaled Al-Jaflah and 9min 24sec ahead of Ahmad Al-Gashami.

Yasir-Hamad Seaidan had started in 16th place and was running fifth in his Toyota with French navigator Sébastien Delaunay. He climbed to second at the last passage control before rolling out of contention.

Technical issues sidelined Farhan Al-Shammeri and Sami Al-Shammeri early in the stage and Butti Banjr Al-Qahtani’s car caught fire after a fuel leak. Hamed bin Eid Al-Thani stopped for a long time with mechanical issues before the halfway point after running second fastest behind Al-Rajhi at the first checkpoint.

Al-Jaflah was running inside the top five and comfortably leading the T3 category until he suffered its own fair share of technical issues and retired. UAE T3 rival Atif Al-Zarouni also retired and this opened the door for Rakan-Yousef Al-Salloum to head the T3 section in his Polaris into the second half of the day’s stage.

After injuring his back over a heavy jump in Muteb-Saud Al-Shammeri’s Nissan on Friday, Emirati co-driver Ali Mirza was detained in hospital overnight with back injuries, but was given the all clear to leave on Saturday afternoon.

Riding a Kawasaki, Abdul-Majeed Al-Khulaifi held a lead of just three seconds over Ahmed Al-Nasser after the opening leg in the quad and motorcycle category. The former winner maintained his advantage in the quad section after the second leg and held an unofficial lead of 6min 15sec over Heshayan Al-Heshayan’s Yamaha, but Al-Nasser was quicker and the solitary motorcycle rider headed the overall category by 3min 16sec.

Saudi rider Sultan Al-Masood crashed his Yamaha heavily and was airlifted to Baka hospital and then on to King Khalid hospital, where he remains stable with bruising. Mohammed Al-Darwish suffered technical issues near the end of the special and retired.

The rally is being staged under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Bin Abdul Aziz, Governor of Ha’il, President of the Supreme Commission for Ha’il Development and the Head of the Supreme Commission of the Ha’il Rally. The SAMF runs under the chairmanship of His Royal Highness Prince Sultan Bin Bandar Al-Faisal and the event is being organised in conjunction with the High Authority for the Development of Ha’il.

There is no respite for competitors on Sunday. The penultimate third selective section of this year’s Ha’il Nissan International Rally starts at 09.05hrs and runs for 206.4km between a start 61km from the overnight halt at the town of Shot and a finish in Jubbah.

Ha'il Nissan International Rally – leading positions after Leg 2 (unofficial @ 14.50hrs):

1. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU)/Timo Gottschalk (DEU) Hummer 4hr 14min 07sec
2. Khalid Al-Fraihi (SAU)/Ali Obaid (ARE) Nissan 4hr 51min 24sec
3. Rajah Farhan Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Mubarak Al-Shammeri (SAU) Nissan 4hr 52min 30sec
4. Saad Salman (SAU)/Nawaf Al-Anzi (SAU) Toyota 4hr 52min 53sec
5. Ahmed Al-Gashami (SAU)/Waleed Al-Fiuam (SAU) Nissan 4hr 55min 59sec
6. Faris Al-Mashna (SAU)/Saud Al-Zayed (SAU) Nissan 4hr 58min 03sec
7. Meshaal Al-Saeedi (SAU)/Bandar Al-Saeedi (SAU) Nissan 5hr 00min 20sec
8. Ahmed Abdullah Al-Shehail (SAU)/Rasheed Mslet (SAU) Nissan 5hr 00min 47sec
9. Emil Khneisser (LEB)/Alexei Kuzmich (RUS) Nissan 5hr 05min 42sec

Follow the rally live:

Results:

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/posi/HAIL16/web/index.php/display/index/

Tracking:

TDCOM e-viewer satellite tracking system

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Easy to bring a 50 cal to a .22 shootout! He could have gone at half the pace and still been ahead of the field. ;)

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
For immediate release
Sunday, March 13th, 2016

AL-RAJHI EXTENDS OVERALL LEAD IN HA’IL NISSAN RALLY WITH THIRD STAGE SUCCESS
  • Rajah-Farhan Al-Shammeri moves up to second; Khneisser into fifth place
  • Al-Nasser and Al-Khulaifi on course for repeat motorcycle and quad victories
HA’IL (Saudi Arabia): Saudi Arabia’s Yazeed Al-Rajhi and German navigator Timo Gottschalk hammered home their advantage on the third selective section of the Ha’il Nissan International Rally on Sunday and will take an outright lead of 1hr 01min 46sec into Monday’s final competitive section.

The Hummer driver carded a time of 2hr 22min 56sec for the desert stage, run to the north and west of the city of Ha’il, and beat nearest rival Ahmed Al-Shegawi by 19min 24sec.

“I am enjoying the rally and able to extend my lead each day and I am on course to score a fifth win in Ha’il and the second in succession,” said Al-Rajhi. “I had no problems at all today. Everything went smoothly, but I didn’t drive on the limit. I took things easily. This is not my usual nature to do this, but I have a big gap to manage to the finish. I just hope that everyone can now finish the rally safely tomorrow.”

Rajah-Fahan Al-Shammeri moved into second overall in his Nissan after clocking the fifth quickest time. Ahmed-Abdullah Al-Shehail moved up to an unofficial third, Faris Al-Mashna was fourth and Nissan Middle East-backed Lebanese driver Emil Khneisser was fifth. There were also useful moves up the leader board for Ahmed Al-Sabban and Owaid Mansi into eighth and 11th in the unofficial results.

Al-Rajhi began the day’s selective section of 206.40km with an overall lead over Khalid Al-Fraihi of 37min 17sec. The competitive route began from Shot and wound its way through the An Nafud desert to a finish, near Jubbah.

Al-Rajhi started to carve out a lead from the start and reached the third checkpoint with a 4min 50sec advantage over Ahmed-Abdullah Al-Shehail, who began the day in eighth overall of the surviving 32 cars.

Qatar’s Sheikh Hamed bin Eid Al-Thani, former T3 front-running Emirati Khalid Al-Jaflah and Saudi’s Sami Al-Shammeri failed to start the stage after suffering technical issues on Saturday.

Khalid Al-Fraihi lost second in the overall standings after beginning the stage late; the Saudi realised that he had left his crash helmet at rally headquarters and had to wait for it to be collected before he could start.

Abdul-Majeed Al-Khulaifi headed into the penultimate selective section with a lead of 6min 15sec over Heshayan Al-Heshayan’s Yamaha in the quad category. Both Al-Khulaifi and Ahmed Al-Nasser maintained their respective quad and motorcycle leads to take into Monday’s final selective section and look on course to repeat last year’s successes. Al-Khulaifi extended his advantage over Al-Heshayan to 10min 21sec in the quads. Abdulsalem Hamam is third of the seven survivors.

Sunday’s fourth and final selective section of 176.50 starts at 09.30hrs from Al-Farhaniyah and finishes at Qana. A liaison section of 54.91m then guides teams back to the finish in Ha’il.

Ha'il Nissan International Rally – leading positions after Leg 3 (unofficial @ 14.40hrs):

1. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU)/Timo Gottschalk (DEU) Hummer 6hr 37min 03sec
2. Rajah Farhan Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Mubarak Al-Shammeri (SAU) Nissan 7hr 38min 49sec
3. Ahmed Abdullah Al-Shehail (SAU)/Rasheed Mslet (SAU) Nissan 7hr 44min 18sec
4. Faris Al-Mashna (SAU)/Saud Al-Zayed (SAU) Nissan 7hr 47min 08sec
5. Emil Khneisser (LEB)/Alexei Kuzmich (RUS) Nissan 8hr 05min 23sec
6. Khalaf-Jouan Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Jouan Al-Shammeri (SAU) Toyota 8hr 05min 44sec
7. Meshaal Al-Saeedi (SAU)/Bandar Al-Saeedi (SAU) Nissan 8hr 06min 25sec
8. Ahmed Al-Sabban (SAU)/Adel Abdullah (QAT) Ford Raptor 8hr 08min 48sec
9. Khalid Al-Fraihi (SAU)/Ali Obaid (ARE) Nissan 8hr 14min 54sec
10. Munif Al-Salmani (SAU)/Ali Al-Sayari (SAU) Nissan 8hr 24min 32sec
11. Owaid Mansi (SAU)/Fahad-Obaid Al-Shammeri (SAU) Toyota 8hr 24min 55sec

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
For immediate release
Monday, March 14th, 2016

SAUDI’S YAZEED AL-RAJHI CRUISES TO RECORD FIFTH VICTORY IN HA’IL NISSAN RALLY
  • Rajah-Farhan Al-Shammeri wins T2 in fourth ; Al-Shehail finishes second overall
  • Ahmed Al-Nasser and Abdul-Majeed Al-Khulaifi take motorcycle and quad wins
HA’IL (Saudi Arabia): Saudi Arabia’s Yazeed Al-Rajhi and German navigator Timo Gottschalk cruised to a comfortable victory in the Ha’il Nissan International Rally on Monday morning after winning the super special and all four selective sections in Saudi Arabia’s premier motor sport event.

The Riyadh driver began the final leg with a lead of 1min 01min 46sec and extended that to a winning margin of 1hr 23min 45sec to confirm a second successive win in his powerful Hummer and a record fifth in total.

“I am extremely happy to win this rally for the fifth time,” said Al-Rajhi. “I notice the progress the event makes year-after-year and it is getting better with the support from Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Bin Abdul Aziz, Prince Abdullah bin Khalid and Prince Sultan Bin Bandar Al-Faisal.

“The competition was different this year and I have noticed the progress that all the drivers are making and that reflects in the atmosphere of the rally. I had a few early setbacks. We lost our way in the first stage and had to retrace our steps to avoid getting lost and missing a waypoint and the engine also stopped for some minutes. I had a different strategy this year. I took it easier and controlled my pace to ensure that I could win.”

No one in the 46-field was a match for Al-Rajhi, although Rajah-Fahan Al-Shammeri drove impressively in his Nissan Patrol to claim fourth overall and victory in the T2 category. “I am delighted to be the champion and I want to remain the champion,” said Al-Shammeri. “I hope that Nissan will give me more support next year.”

Ahmed-Abdullah Al-Shehail finished second overall in another Nissan and the Japanese manufacturer and title sponsor also filled third, sixth, seventh, ninth, 10th, 11th and 12th positions, courtesy of strong performances by Saudi’s Faris Al-Mashna and the Saudi sextet of Meshaal Al-Saeedi, Khalid Al-Fraihi, Ahmed Al-Gashami, Ahmed Al-Shegawi, Munif Al-Salmani and Jaafar-Majed Al-Qahtani. Al-Shegawi, for his part, set the second quickest time on the last stage.

Khalaf-Jouan Al-Shammeri steered the leading Toyota home in eighth position and the experienced Ahmed Al-Sabban was fifth in a Ford Raptor. There was disappointment for the Lebanese driver Emil Khneisser and his Russian navigator Alexsei Kuzmich. They suffered persistent gearbox problems within sight of the finish in their Nissan Patrol, lost fifth place and slipped out of the top 10.

Qatar’s Sheikh Hamed Bin Eid Al-Thani began well with the second fastest time in the super special stage, but technical issues accounted for his Nissan Patrol and the likes of Khalid Al-Jaflah, Atif Al-Zarouni and Ahmed Al-Shegawi also had their own fair share of problems that ruined potentially better results. Al- Zarouni, Yayha Ali-Abdu and Fahd Al-Abdulattif actually started the final selective section and then returned directly to the finish.

Abdul-Majeed Al-Khulaifi retained his quad title with a comfortable victory over Heshayan Al-Heshayan’s Yamaha and Ahmed Al-Nasser rode the solitary Honda motorcycle and completed the event once again. Abdulsalem Hamam finished an unofficial third in the quads.

The rally was staged under the patronage of His Royal Highness Prince Saud Bin Abdul Mohsen Bin Abdul Aziz, Governor of Ha’il, President of the Supreme Commission for Ha’il Development and the Head of the Supreme Commission of the Ha’il Rally. The SAMF runs under the chairmanship of His Royal Highness Prince Sultan Bin Bandar Al-Faisal and the event was organised in conjunction with the High Authority for the Development of Ha’il.

Ha'il Nissan International Rally – positions after Leg 4 (unofficial @ 14.10hrs):

1. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (SAU)/Timo Gottschalk (DEU) Hummer 8hr 10min 50sec
2. Ahmed Abdullah Al-Shehail (SAU)/Rasheed Mslet (SAU) Nissan 9hr 34min 35sec
3. Faris Al-Mashna (SAU)/Saud Al-Zayed (SAU) Nissan 9hr 42min 27sec
4. Rajah Farhan Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Mubarak Al-Shammeri (SAU) Nissan 9hr 59min 44sec
5. Ahmed Al-Sabban (SAU)/Adel Abdullah (QAT) Ford Raptor 10hr 00min 17sec
6. Meshaal Al-Saeedi (SAU)/Bandar Al-Saeedi (SAU) Nissan 10hr 02min 39sec
7. Khalid Al-Fraihi (SAU)/Ali Obaid (ARE) Nissan 10hr 03min 04sec
8. Khalaf-Jouan Al-Shammeri (SAU)/Jouan Al-Shammeri (SAU) Toyota 10hr 05min 05sec
9. Ahmed Al-Gashami (SAU)/Waleed Al-Fiuam (SAU) Nissan 10hr 16min 15sec
10. Ahmed Al-Shegawi (SAU)/Arif Yousef Mohammed (ARE) Nissan 10hr 16min 33sec