Ham Radio Operators in Desert Racing (or spectating)

Chas Moore

RDC Crypto
Website
battlebornoffroad.net
Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 13-50-53 United_States_Frequency_Allocations_Chart_2016_-_The_Radio_S...png

Advertising supports this site

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Slight hijack...but since race coms and PCI is being mentioned...why don't they (SCORE or PCI) figure out what can be done so that business in Mexico doesn't use the same frequency as the Weatherman during races? Or can anything be done?

snoreracer

RDC Crypto
Website
aol.com
Over the years, I've met quite a few Hams in desert racing... just curious how many are out there and active?

Personally, I don't have a lot of time to do much with it, but it's fun to call out or answer calls on the highway frequency (VHF) while traveling.

Thanks!
KM6WJH
Not a ham but I do GMRS , very easy, license is $30 for 10 years . lots of repeaters , in fact I put one up outside my cabin in Utah and could talk 80 miles . There is one outside of mesquite Nevada that I can hit from my place in henderson and that is about 120 miles . On the issue of running on a frequency that you are not licensed for . At the 1982 mint there was a race team using the input frequency of the metro police in Vegas dispatch channel . It took them 30 minutes to find the main pit at the speedway and they were informed to stop using that channel or face confiscation of radio's and arrest or fine . About 2 hours later they got on the radio and that was it took radios and they were cited

Advertising supports this site

Chas Moore

RDC Crypto
Website
battlebornoffroad.net
When the government takes down the communication towers, (as california has already talked about) what will any of this matter?
Great attitude. Radio isnt going anywhere no matter how hard the gov tries. Pretty easy to erect a tower, or even better hook up to a plane.

PaulW

RDC Crypto
My 80 watt radio is an open HAM unit is used for race or spectating using commercial freqs. Not much use for using the HAM functions since there are so few HAM users. Lack of HAM users in Mexico is probably because Mexico does not allow HAM use. I am sure that wont stop the HAM users anyway. HAM use is limited due to repeaters located in far away near large cities
In Baja for not race application 90% of the users are using commercial freqs. Seems like every different group of off roaders has their own choice for the freq. And of course many choose common race team freqs. Most of these people are using opened HAM radios.

Meanwhile
GMRS it taking over in the US since at 40 watts using the repeater freqs sure covers many personal needs when joining others with GMRS in the back country. Popular places like Moab have many GMRS repeaters. GMRS have much better sound and range than the CB that is still in common use. Not much use for a race spectator since the racers do not use GMRS or CB. So far GMRS repeaters in Baja like the HAM ones are concentrated in the larger cities. Many of the US folks arriving in Baja have only GMRS setups which limits their range function in the Baja boondocks. GMRS are just fine for person to person without a repeater and better that the old technology of CB.
PaulW KEOVZC