Hand proping an airplane...hehe

Dave_G

Reaction
For those who have never done it or experienced it, hand proping (or hand starting) and airplane is a tedious affair and rather dangerous at best. I've done it many times with dead batteries and it's always a thrill to try and keep from cutting your head, hands and feet off. Even worse is when you have to do it by yourself and their is no one around to help. But if your going to do it by yourself, there are a few basic rules that have to be followed. Rule #1: YOU MUST SET THE PARKING BRAKE AND CHOCK THE NOSE WHEEL! or else you'll end up doing one of these numbers to your neighbors nice twin. :-0

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "You didnt do that did ya Dave?"

Hehe...nope. But who ever did better have some good insurance!

Dave

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I want to see the look on that guys face whil ethat was goin down.
Is that where you store your plane?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "Is that where you store your plane? "

No!.... thank god. ;-)

Dave

jeff

Reaction
For more aero antics check out the Tony Tellier El Chineros site... it's full of witty writing and more... just take the time to sift through it all, it's worth it, even on a 28.8 dialup like mine.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.elchineroconcepts.com/>http://www.elchineroconcepts.com/</A>

Aloha

martininsocal

Reaction
damn...i thought that look went out in the '80's with mullets!
tell me that isn't pat benatars plane!

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Would they even be able to fix that plan or is it now just scrap metal?

See ya in the dirt!

BlueCoyote

Reaction
They will problabley repair that one. Damage looks worse that it is. Long as the spars and engines are good they are usually fixed.
Hand propping has got to be one of the scariest experinces in life. It is bad on a small engine (200) but real scary on bigger ones. Never did it solo, but you still have to have 100% trust in the person at the controls. Used to see doctors, lawyers, and especially dentists who were too cheap to buy a new battery do that with their Moonys and 182's all the time. About once year one would get away and do simular damage.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?

shrek

Reaction
Would you fly in that if they fix it??????????????

Not me!!!!!!!!!!!

faceman

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "They will problabley repair that one."

No way. The structural damage to the fuselage and empenage is incredible and it would take more money to fix it that the blue book value of the airplane. A repair of this sort would also take factory jigs and tooling which are unavailable to repair shops or maybe even no longer in existence. The insurance company will probably sell what's left to a salvage company. This one for sure is a total.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
What should scare everyone is the guy who did this is a pilot I assume..... And if you are to cheap to buy a fricken battery don't you think you shoud give up on planes????

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "And if you are to cheap to buy a fricken battery don't you think you shoud give up on planes????"

Tony,
In many cases having a dead battery in your airplane doesn't mean you need a new one. Master switches, dome lights, radios, etc inadvertently get left on after shutdown. Sometimes the batteries just need charging after being inactive for a period of time. Also, many batteries are 24 volts and a 24volt battery charger is hard to come by especially at a remote airport or strip. In my airplane it takes about 30 minutes of work to even get to the battery let alone remove it if I need to charge it.

There really isn't anything wrong with hand proping an airplane. They did it religiously 75 years ago when there wern't any batteries or starters. You just need to pay attention and follow some good guidelines before doing it.

And yea, pilots do screw up from time to time but there is a natural system in place to deal with it. It's known as "Genetic Purification". Those that are dumb enough to die, will, and hopefully before they contaminate the gene pool. ;-)

Best,
Dave

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
If you just have a dead battery then I understand. I think we have all been there. What about a bank of big caps and a hand crank magneto? LOL..... Just kidding..

And Dave why did you hide the battery so well in your plane? :)

<font color=yellow>And yea, pilots do screw up from time to time but there is a natural system in place to deal with it. It's known as "Genetic Purification". Those that are dumb enough to die, will, and hopefully before they contaminate the gene pool.</font color=yellow>

Ain't that the truth!

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

PatrickG

Reaction
I saw a similar incedent that happend in Australia tonight on the news. There was people in the plane when the Australian event happened, That plane hit like 2 other planes and caused 250 thousand dollars worth of damage.

Patrick

Dave_G

Reaction
Re: "And Dave why did you hide the battery so well in your plane? :)"

Tony,
Well, it had more to do with the CG envelope than anything else. I had to get it nearest the CG datum so it ended up under the panel, on the floor, in an encased box between the rudder pedals. You have to remove the carpeting, seats and one control stick to get at it. That's also where the kits designer planned for it to be. At the next annual inspection I'm planning to install a ground service plug so you can jump it with a vehicle if need be.

Dave

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The plane that got hit was a University of Australia plane so that probably is a picture from the acident on TV

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"