Handbrake to setup turn with locked axle?

standfast

RDC Crypto
Anyone doing this with the locked axle in their trucks to get through the real tight hair pin stuff by locking the rears into a slide to carry RPM and momentum?

racer56

RDC Crypto
Some short course guys have a split brake pedal front to rear.

standfast

RDC Crypto
Its popluar in the rally world, just wondering if it was being implemented on the locked axles in the dez. It makes a lot of since. Especially on auto trans to keep in on the converter instead of getting off the throttle through the whole turn to negotiate a hairpin.

Process being:

Turn in
Rear Brake to initiate slide
Throttle down and countersteer accordingly

Obviously you can do this with just engine power (if there is enough) but this may be more repeatable or predictable I would think.

fasttruck ryan

RDC Crypto
just initiate the turn by quickly turning opposite to the corner, let off the throttle for a sec. then quickly turn back into the corner back on the throttle.no brake, all nuts.It takes a bit of practice but works really well. practice in a field with a cone marking the corner. you can watch the drift guys do it too.

standfast

RDC Crypto
just initiate the turn by quickly turning opposite to the corner, let off the throttle for a sec. then quickly turn back into the corner back on the throttle.no brake, all nuts.It takes a bit of practice but works really well. practice in a field with a cone marking the corner. you can watch the drift guys do it too.

I have done it that way for awhile now but noticed some inconsistency on varying surfaces especially when lacking in the HP department. I assumed the handbrake would create consitency and faster adjustment. Drift cars use hydro handbrakes.

Muddi44

RDC Crypto
I have been thinking about this problem for a while, I run a spool in the back of my 4wd race truck which in most instances is a huge advantage. I use the technique outlined by Fast Truck Ryan in a lot of turns, however hairpin turns in heavy ruts are a real PITA and as yet (apart from real slow) I have no answer. Thinking outside the box I may try cutting brakes on the front axle, as I see it planting the inside front wheel on the apex & holding back on the cutting brake at the same time as feeding the power in should have the desired effect. As yet I do not know anyone who has tried it! Alternatively I may fit an ARB with auto controls on the cutting brake to unlock when I operate.

RoosterBooster

RDC Crypto
I have been thinking about this problem for a while, I run a spool in the back of my 4wd race truck which in most instances is a huge advantage. I use the technique outlined by Fast Truck Ryan in a lot of turns, however hairpin turns in heavy ruts are a real PITA and as yet (apart from real slow) I have no answer. Thinking outside the box I may try cutting brakes on the front axle, as I see it planting the inside front wheel on the apex & holding back on the cutting brake at the same time as feeding the power in should have the desired effect. As yet I do not know anyone who has tried it! Alternatively I may fit an ARB with auto controls on the cutting brake to unlock when I operate.

many of the cars i made have spools so usually i do the "opposite turn, heavy foot" trick as fastruck ryan described.
i also experimented with cutting brakes on the front; my cars are front engine "truggys" with a roughly 45:55 weight distribution... so braking the front left tire going into a left turn was actually showing some effect in slow turns on hardpack (especially with a quick burp of the throttle) ... but i didnt use it a lot so i removed the cutting brake (started to develop a leak... darn cheap sand buggy stuff)

btw here is a short clip of Danny "Crazytrain" Murphy playing around and showing the "opposite turn, heavy foot" trick with one of my older truggys (Quickchange IRS with spool) ;)
[video=youtube;z6UdZZLPRVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UdZZLPRVk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UdZZLPRVk&feature=related[/video]

ChromolyKid

RDC Crypto
Website
www.youtube.com

That's called a pendulum turn. Or a Scandinavian flick. Or a Finnish flick. Very common in rally racing, it kind of "slingshots" you around the turn. Works great on turns with an increasing radius, but you have to be ready to countersteer fast. I think I've seen videos of Larry Ragland doing that a few times in Baja around telephone poles on corners...

Muddi44

RDC Crypto
I am thinking of a temporary set up before I spend any money on this. If my truck was not in the process of a full rebuild I would have tried it already. What I will do (as soon as) is to clamp off all calipers bar 1 front, choose a big open area and set up some cones and then try cornering whilst operating the foot brake thus retarding that 1 front wheel. Should hopefully prove the point either way.