• Forum membership has its advantages....

Handheld GPS Unit

trentk

I use this when pre running on my quad and I have downloaded Baja 250, 500 and 1000 courses on it. Its small enough for hand held. Wouldn't be comfortable in a front pocket. I am probably going to sell it since I am not racing anymore.

GPSMAP® 76CSx | Garmin

PCI Race Radios

We use several different units that are the similar in size (hand held size). Lowrance ifinder (hand held, this unit is discontinued but still available on amazon/ebay from time to time, battery powered). Garmin GPSmap 64s (hand held, still available, battery powered). Lowrance Elite 4/Mark 4 Chartplotter (small GPS unit that is powered by your vehicle). If you have more questions feel free to give us a call and we can help you out.

PaulW

My Lowrance IFinder is giving me trouble and a quick search I found many IFinder H2Os for sale for very low prices. Best one to choose is one that has the 12v cable. Otherwise just use lithium batteries. The IFinder is completely compatible with all race tracks and PCI, ORW, and Murdock maps.

RacingTraX

How do you see the screen with the glare? I cant ever see the screens on my phone or tablets outside or in the car.
I had mine mounted low at first but ran into the problem you're talking about so then I rebuilt a mount so my iPad was right up against the roof angling down, that solved a lot of glare. Of you use an iPad it has to be kind that can have wifi + cellular, you don't need to have a data plan, but physically there are components in the + cellular versions that have gps. Downloading land maps and uploading course maps is very easy. I always upload the courses on to my iPhone as well so if I am in the Chase truck I can use it as a GPS to know where I am in relation to the race course and towns around me.

RacingTraX

A lot of guys are using iPads with LeadNav on it which is a great way to go if you are looking to make detailed course notes. But like I said before, for two dollars you can get the motion X GPS app and it will get you around the course no problem. Just get a good dust proof case and mount!it like all the lead nav guys mount theirs.