Handheld radio range??

Ryno

Reaction
When riding, in a group of 6 riders, 3 of us have radios. All Icom F11's. If we get more than 400 yards apart, we lose contact with each other. We all are carrying them in our camelbacks. Is there somewhere else we should have them, or mount the antenna better? Any tips would be great!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Pretty much line of sight and around 5-7 miles max, maybe more if your on a hill overlooking a valley. Depending on what your transmitting with. You should be able to get more out of them though. 400 yards seems kinda weak.

Chase 2

Reaction
JhonnyAirTime to the white courtesy phone please.........JAT runs more electronic gizmoes on his bikes than just about anyone, he did some stuff with antennas if I remember right. If he doesn't chime in here, he posts often over on Thumper Talk.

J Caster

Honda TRX700XX Pilot
Reaction
Mike over at Racer-X can help you out.

I ran one of his hand held units at San Felipe and it worked great. The chase truck could hear me loud and clear when I was still over 5 miles out. They have some different antenas that help get the signal out.

Mike also has a really cool set up to mount on a bike or quad. I will be running the quad set up really soon.

Call Racer-X 619-258-7223

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
i keep mine in a "pci" bag attached to the front of my camel back.
Approx. 5 mi. on flat land.

Ryno

Reaction
5 mi to another handheld, or a 50 watt repeater? Thanks for the suggestions, I think we need to get them longer antennas, or mount them higher in the camelbacks. I don't want it on the bars, or anywhere near where stuff can fly and hit it.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Two things to check.
First make sure that the power is set to high. Alot of times xmit is set @ 1 watt. You have 3 settings for this radio.
Second check to see if your antenna is tuned properly. Any good radio shop can tell you if it is tuned to the freq you are using.

CraigChr

Reaction
Down in the backpack is no good. Get it in a pouch on your belt or on you chest protector. The higher the better- If the camelback is all you have, make sure the antenna sticks out, but be sure to zip ty the zipper so the radio doesn't bounce out.

bobylax

Reaction
Down in the backpack is no good. Get it in a pouch on your belt or on you chest protector. The higher the better- If the camelback is all you have, make sure the antenna sticks out, but be sure to zip ty the zipper so the radio doesn't bounce out.
x2. Antenna exposure is key on the i-Com handheld for maximum output/reception!

Baja Fool

Reaction
x2. Antenna exposure is key on the i-Com handheld for maximum output/reception!
Roger that! Have a professional tune the thing for power and frequency. Even then they suck....at least mine does. For a quad though you can get an adapter for a truck roof top antenna and attach it to the rack. I've used this set up in a pit situation (attached the Icom to the EZ up) and worked well..... but be ready for the wack, wack, wack on the helmet....might be a safety issue as well.

My .02.

shooei

Reaction
Like they said before try and place your radio so the antenna is as high as possible. Also check your squelch, it might be a little too tight and therefore you are only receiving the stronger signals.

Handheld radio antennas cannot be tuned for swr, they're designed to work within the frequency range and power of your radio.

Your other option is to contact icom and ask them if you can use an adaptor (part#ad-98fsc) with an aftermarket high gain antenna, like a diamond rh77ca.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I have an ICOM V8 that i carry in My backpack. Top of the antenna is about shoulder level and get about 5 miles out of it. More in line of sight transmission. Your body is RF transparent so how high it is on your back will not make much of a difference. Now, having it vertical will make a large difference.

shooei

Reaction
I have an ICOM V8 that i carry in My backpack. Top of the antenna is about shoulder level and get about 5 miles out of it. More in line of sight transmission. Your body is RF transparent so how high it is on your back will not make much of a difference. Now, having it vertical will make a large difference.

So no signal attenuation from your body?

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
If you had enough metal in your body to block a VHF signal, you would be dead. Plastic and fiberglass are also RF transparent.

shooei

Reaction
Not talking about blocking the signal, just decreasing its strength. No big deal if you're running 50w to a 5/8 wave antenna, a handheld putting out 5w is a different story. Get that antenna up high son.

Last edited:

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Getting it higher won't make a noticeable difference. Having it strait up and down with no bends in it will do much much more.