Happy 5/1600 Day!

BajaJT

Bob Giese built 5-1600, owned by Les Carter (RIP) I raced a few times for him, this is the Firecracker 250 in Barsow, we broke a rear trailing arm while leading, finished 4th at Riverside same year (1984), the land rush start was fun. It was a desert car with to high Ring and Pinion so we ran the whole race in second and third gear.

IMG_0913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

harleys dad

Bob Giese built 5-1600, owned by Les Carter (RIP) I raced a few times for him, this is the Firecracker 250 in Barsow, we broke a rear trailing arm while leading, finished 4th at Riverside same year (1984), the land rush start was fun. It was a desert car with to high Ring and Pinion so we ran the whole race in second and third gear.

View attachment 213406
What ever happened to this car, classic Giese build. There were so many 51600 cars built in the 70s and 80s I often wonder where they all went. Buying a fully built car from Bob could not have been cheap at all and like most they just vanished

BajaJT

What ever happened to this car, classic Giese build. There were so many 51600 cars built in the 70s and 80s I often wonder where they all went. Buying a fully built car from Bob could not have been cheap at all and like most they just vanished
Man! I wish I knew, it was a ball joint car (which I didn't think would last as I have all was had Link pins) worked really great, I raced in Parker with Les's step son Clyde Reese, who I raced bikes with in the desert, we had a flat on the Cal side and Clyde rolled it on the Arizona side, Tom Neth (who I shared shop with) helped me put a new top on it,shortly after that Les passed on and the family took the car.
Speeking of the Neths, they built a realy fast but low budget 5-1600.

harleys dad

Man! I wish I knew, it was a ball joint car (which I didn't think would last as I have all was had Link pins) worked really great, I raced in Parker with Les's step son Clyde Reese, who I raced bikes with in the desert, we had a flat on the Cal side and Clyde rolled it on the Arizona side, Tom Neth (who I shared shop with) helped me put a new top on it,shortly after that Les passed on and the family took the car.
Speeking of the Neths, they built a realy fast but low budget 5-1600.
Neth and I had a great race at the 87 Firworks race, I led most of the day tirned it over to Cam Steele he went off a hill and back up and that cost us the win. We were very clse all day and night