• Forum membership has its advantages....

harbor freight tools that don't suck

mfs

I like the noncontact infrared thermometer. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374175369.175707.jpg

mfs

Air tool swivel I love these things.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
HF sells made in the usa good year air hose. FYI
Yep, I have one thats gong on 6 years strong. Run everything from paint guns, impacts, and impacts off of nitro bottles for pitting in mexico (big pressure) with no issues.

They (HF) are actually starting to carry name brand tools and such now. A lot of my chase stuff came from them (use it once and forget it)

I bought the big 3" tow strap, and used it to pull the TT out of a hole at the 1000 last year with a f-150 hooked to the front of it that was buried itself. Has nice reinforced loops too.

Had the Roll-a-way toolbox from U.S. General, and loved it to death. The drawers were smoother than a snap-on and the only issue I had with it was the locking mechanism. It was in my boxvan for 2 years and the road vibrations just kinda shimmied it apart one day, so I put it back together with lock-tite and it was fine. Sold it to my dad when I bought the big Kobalt box with speakers.

SpareChangeRacng

By the way - they just dicontinued carrying the GoodYear air hose. I went in to get one as the one I bought previously had a jack stand fall on it and puncture it and they only had 1 25'er left & it was on clearance sale. I grabbed it & asked about 50' ones the girl at the counter told me that whatever was there was what they had left. She said they discontinued them 6 months ago & that was it.

I bought the short one just in case, but came home, got on Amazon and has a 50'er delivered for cheap (it's yellow vs. the black I wanted but for the price it's fine).

I've still got the 25' black hose sitting here & I keep debating on keeping it for a spare or returning it. It was $12 so I'm thinking I may just keep it around.

SpareChangeRacng

Almost forgot about a HF tool I've had around that was cheap & worth while - the HF "flush cutters".

If you don't know what these are, they are a cutting tool like diagonal cutters/dikes, but instead of having a tapered back side to the cutting edge like typical dikes, these have a flat back so they cut whatever you're cutting flush with the back of the tool. These are what saves you from those little cut off tails on the zip ties that always seem to attack you & draw blood! These allow the zip tie tails to be cut completely flush & leave no little "gotcha" sitting there.
I was debating on spending the $$ on the "real" ones and saw these for something like $2. They aren't as well made as a quality brand, but have been kicking around my shop for 3-4 years or more now & have definitely served their purpose. If when these break - I'll go replace them with a second set & still be $$ ahead of buying a better brand name.

FCORR

I'm looking for a good steel floor jack for the garage, I don't care about weight and I'm looking in the $100 range. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the HF steel jacks. Any recommendations on here about HF or any other brands in that price range? Also hearing that the similar Craftsman steel jacks are junk.

SpareChangeRacng

Room mates old HF jack was a total POS! That was about 8 years ago now though & the reason I haven't looked at their steel jacks since. Things may have changed, but may not...

I got a 3.25 ton Arcan floor jack from costco for $100 after reading good reviews on it. I haven't used mine a ton, but am very happy with it so far. Had it about a year & it lifts the front end of the crew cab (1 ton ford running gear & 5.9L cummins motor) with ease.

FCORR

Room mates old HF jack was a total POS! That was about 8 years ago now though & the reason I haven't looked at their steel jacks since. Things may have changed, but may not...

I got a 3.25 ton Arcan floor jack from costco for $100 after reading good reviews on it. I haven't used mine a ton, but am very happy with it so far. Had it about a year & it lifts the front end of the crew cab (1 ton ford running gear & 5.9L cummins motor) with ease.
Good 'ole Costco...maybe I should check out their selection as well.

The problem I am having with my current jack ($80 Pep Boy Special) is that it uses a gear mesh system to lower itself, so if you can't get the jack handle high enough you can't simply twist the handle and release it you have to crawl under the vehicle and hit it with a blunt object and as soon as it is released it drops the vehicle like a rock. My wife has witnessed me curse at this jack multiple times and said she'll buy me a new jack as a b-day present...haha

wrightracing.net

10 years ago I paid $60 for a Brute 2 ton steel floor jack and it is still going. I think it is time for oil though. I have had a Craftsman Aluminum 2ton jack in my F350 chase truck for 5 years without any problems so far. but that cost way more then your budget.

Zambo

I'm looking for a good steel floor jack for the garage, I don't care about weight and I'm looking in the $100 range. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the HF steel jacks. Any recommendations on here about HF or any other brands in that price range? Also hearing that the similar Craftsman steel jacks are junk.
Costco jack strong like bull.

Mark Newhan

Haha! My Costco jack is red... So in my cross mojo-nization, Austin Powers voice... "Does that make mine a Red Bull"?

ChromolyKid

Costco jack strong like bull.
Weighs about the same as one too... But has never let us down. Lifted a trailer with a 6100 truck on it the other day. About 6,000 pounds altogether, no problem whatsoever.

FCORR

Went with the 2.5 ton steel HF jack. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but seems to be constructed much better than my current Pepboys jack.

Also got the adjustable height roller chair, its very convenient and comfortable.

kxraptor

I've had very good luck with almost all my HF buys.Impact sockets are easily my most used tool and I recommend highly.

Slippery P

I had a set of their impact sockets for years never let me down used them everyday. Also the cheapy wood handled hammers outlasted many others for 10 years used them everyday as well. Other tools.... Well didn't even make it out of the store.

therd3

In the past I purchased knowing that the tools are of low quality. And if it breaks or did not work it had a 30 day return policy. Now they have a 20% restocking Fee (as they call it) for anything you return. Even if its dead out of the box!

Before this you knew they sold crap that it may or may not work but you could always return it. Not any more. Harbor Fright calls it a rental tax. I will be buying from Home Depot from now on. I'm boycotting Harbor Fright until they remove this policy. I hope you do also.

Chris Tobin

In the past I purchased knowing that the tools are of low quality. And if it breaks or did not work it had a 30 day return policy. Now they have a 20% restocking Fee (as they call it) for anything you return. Even if its dead out of the box!

Before this you knew they sold crap that it may or may not work but you could always return it. Not any more. Harbor Fright calls it a rental tax. I will be buying from Home Depot from now on. I'm boycotting Harbor Fright until they remove this policy. I hope you do also.
That is DUMB! I'm with you. Home Depot, Lowe's or Sears for me, sometimes even NAPA!

NIKAL

There is something wrong with this? I just made a return a few weeks ago with no issues. I had my reciept and they refunded my money, no restocking fee, no questions. If they indeed did charge you a restocking fee, I think you need to go back to the store and speak with a manager and asked him to read the return policy posted on the Harbor Freight website.

HARBOR FREIGHT RETURN POLICY
If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item purchased, you may return the product within 90 days for a full refund or replacement, whichever you prefer. Shipping and handling are non-refundable.

GOT ONLINE RETURNS?
TAKE THEM TO ANY HARBOR FREIGHT STORE! If you purchased an item through harborfreight.com, you can return it to any Harbor Freight store for an exchange or refund within 90 days of your purchase! Just bring the item and a copy of the order invoice and we will gladly exchange or refund the purchase, no questions asked. Buy it online—return it at the store—just one more way Harbor Freight is working to improve your customer experience!

GENERATOR RETURNS
Any generator returned for any reason after the 90 day satisfaction guarantee period will be subject to a 20% restocking charge and must be returned freight paid.

chevy8

Yes just did a return last week and I was not charged.