• Forum membership has its advantages....

harbor freight tools that really suck

randy s

prolly more useful than the other thread, but you never know.

randy s

the "C" clamps are junk. in fact most all of their clamps suck. those little items they have on tables pretty much all suck. those cheap ass angle grinders aren't worth throwing away but you can get a bunch of em' at once for the price of a good one and toss em' when they start to grenade a bearing and become friggin dangerous. they sound like a bearing's wore out when they're new. their little electric winches are a real piece of chit. spend more dinero and just get a real one. that's an item they don't even ask questions about when you take it back when it doesn't work. they know already. i threw one away in the damn bushes when it wouldn't work when i got inconvenienced in a silt bed at the 500 this year. it was the only time i've ever been stuck when there was a huge pine tree sitting right in front of me and the POS winch wouldn't work..

tpatkins

I'm with Dan...I got the rechargeable 3/4 impact and the same happened to me.

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
If you use the 1/2 breaker bar make sure that you weld the socket to the handle. It sucks when you snap the end off !!! Not changing flat tires cus I run BFG and don't get flats.

Dumfast

The 100 whatever piece drill bit set...Approx 5 of the bits were heat treated enough to actually drill steel..Most had a tough time in wood

Last edited:

randy s

If you use the 1/2 breaker bar make sure that you weld the socket to the handle. It sucks when you snap the end off !!! Not changing flat tires cus I run BFG and don't get flats.
thats exactly what you have to do with the half inch bb.

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
I like the aluminum jacks, they seem ok

randy s

the problem nowadays regarding whether or not the tools or anything really for that matter, are made in the usa or china is that you can spend too much valuable time searching for what you need if you're buying made in the usa items. everyone wants the home grown stuff for sure, but if you can't find it or it's a pain in the ass or you have to get it mail order, then it becomes impractical. how much your time is worth to find a small item that's made in the usa becomes a huge factor if you're on the job. even many items that traditionally have been made in the usa [stanley, carhartt, etc] are being farmed out for assembly in foreign countries these days. and sometimes what you're looking for quality-wise ISN"T made here..i've yet to find or use a small chop saw better than a makita for my needs as an example. harbor freight has it's place. they put american folks to work and that has to count for something doesn't it?

Rprice

I have a friend that works QA at harbor freight corporate, You should hear some of the stories haha! I bought a few of the LED flashlights thinking they cant be that bad to throw in the truck or emergency kit right? The one time it was needed of course it did not work so add that to the list. Although the simi valley store just had a parking lot sale and I still find myself going anyways so HF still has a place.

scottm

I dont go to harbor freight because having a bad tool is worse than not having one at all.. You think you have a certain tool, but it fails when you really need it, making the situation considerably worse. I was talked into buying a chinese 1/2" hammer drill from ebay to humor a friend. It cost 1 cent, plus $19.99 for shipping. It had a big blue plastic housing like a real drill, but it had no mass. Inside was a tiny little motor surrounded by air space. Sure enough it was so weak I could stop it with my bare hand. I threw it away and have not been fooled since.

robertharman

You get what you pay for.

Zambo

I know for a fact that many of the vehicles in the feature section that everybody oohs and ahhhs over have had many a HF tool used in their construction.

vaderoni

The shears, or dikes if you like that term better, absolutely suck. HF makes many tools that are fine for what they do, and others that are absolute junk. Be smart about your choices there and remember that it cost you a fraction of the cost of a "real" tool; don't trip out cause the free volt meter couldn't take summer heat.

NIKAL

I dont go to harbor freight because having a bad tool is worse than not having one at all.. You think you have a certain tool, but it fails when you really need it, making the situation considerably worse.
Funny story a few years back we were camping at Superstition and something came up about tools. I mentioned that 90% of the tools in my tool box that I keep in my motorhome came from HF. Well a guy in our camp made the same comment that HF tools are junk and he would rather not have the tool then have crappy HF tool. So later on during the weekend he was having a issue with his buggy and was needing a pair of snap ring pliers. The only person in our whole group that had some was me. When he came asking I told him I had some, but I doubt they would work for him as they were from HF, and I knew he would rather not have a tool then use a HF tool. So I asked him if his buggy was done for the rest of the weekend. He said well if those HF pliers dont work then I am! 20 minutes later he came back and said they worked and he was good to go. He later thanked me for letting him borrow my snap ring pliers and said sorry for dogging on my tools.

PDANK Racing

sawzall blows, sandblasting cabinet is junk, prybars, holesaw kit, chopsaw, tubing roller's a joke, any type of puller usually breaks too, angle grinders are junk, clamps are terrible, bandsaw is ok at best,cheap sheetmetal brake is exactly that.