• Forum membership has its advantages....

harbor freight tools that really suck

randy s

well...as of today, you can add the drill master 1500 watt heat gun to the list...it wasn't all that old either.

randy s

their abrasives all seem a notch and a half below what 3m and norton offer. of course they're alot less money but if you have to keep changing out sand paper or disks or whatever more often, then you have to add what your time's worth into the deal. better off getting the good chit to start with.

cusico

. better off getting the good chit to start with.
Amen.

If you buy expendables online you can save a ton of money.

If you check Ebay for tools you can have the best stuff for HF pricing if you get in on the cherry auctions nobody is bidding on.

Zambo

FWIW, a friend went to a recent HF corporate event/press conference and came away with some interesting stuff. Seems that the head guys at HF were flat out admitting that their tools suck big time and they know it, but their strategy over literally the last ten years has been to put all of their efforts into building their infrastructure. They said that they are finally at the point where they have all of their supply lines and delivery lines etc completely set up in a system that lets them get product to the shelves at a super low cost, but that building that infrastructure has cost a lot of money. They have had to put ultra cheap tools on the shelves while building that infrastructure in order to remain profitable. Anyway, the word was that now they are at a point where they can start supplying a higher quality tool without raising prices too much and that their focus now is going to be on shedding the reputation that all of their tools are junk. So I guess we'll see how that goes.

BTW, never buy the orange handle pliers set. You'd be better off wrapping a rubber band around two sticks than wasting your money on that junk.

bob380sx

there's just not quality control. the sizing on the wrenches is never right. most of the stuff wont work the first time. but they will keep trading the stuff out tell you get one that works. the electric stuff its like 1 in 10 works right. you could get 2 of the exact same things off the shelf at the exact same time and one could work for a long time and the other never work at all.

loufish

and said sorry for dogging on my tools.
If you own that many HF tools, you already know they suck.....So others telling you so shouldn't sting too bad...:)

Really simple, if on a budget, like many, buy Craftsman, Proto or SK......

Hose clamps!!!!!!!! I bought the box and when I got home and opened it I could literally crush the hose clamps with two fingers. I know have a plastic "parts box".

I found that any of the power tools from drill master are junk. I was using one of their paddle grinders and the things caught on fire.
At the time it was worth the 10 bucks I paid for it. I did try one of the central machinery ones an and it worked out just fine now I have 3 of them one with a flapper disc, one with a cutting disc and one with the grinding disc. I have had them 5 years and never had 1 problem with them. Go figure, it is kind of like Vegas at HF. :) but cheaper

john92223

I had the Central Macinery one throw out a huge fire ball a couple of weeks ago and it was done. Fortunately it was just under a year old so I took the receipt with me and got a new one. I had purchased the $6.00 warranty.

y2kbaja

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349104178.122211.jpg

While on the subject of sucky tools the clamps from Home Depot suck and will send you to the ER when the plastic breaks and the wire spring goes thru your hand

Grinders=crap! One of my welders went through 13 in two weeks i believe. He finally listened and bought a hilti or dewalt i cant remember. Now his air compressor is another story believe it or not but is the only this I can testify too!

mfs

Hose clamps!!!!!!!! I bought the box and when I got home and opened it I could literally crush the hose clamps with two fingers. I know have a plastic "parts box".
X2! I think their made of butter.

mfs

The air saw they sell works great! Looks like a copy of my ir saw, Just got the cen-tech Non-contact thermometer good so far. Some other ones that I like:

Slippery P

They're soft jaw claps suck! I bought 2 of them for a warranty interior job on a car I was working on customer was a waiter so I ran around the corner to HF and bought 2. The minute I put pressure on the clamps they both broke. Shop press. Sucks I was thinking about buying one so I was checking out the floor model, 2 pump and the bottle Jack seal blew out dumping hydrolic fluid all over the floor. Grinders suck air tools suck drill bits suck the only thing I have bought there that have lasted are some ball peen hammers us them everyday had them for 10 years!!

DBMETALWORX

16ga. air nibbler is absolute garbage.. Went through 3 of them in 2 days, cutting 22ga.

well...as of today, you can add the drill master 1500 watt heat gun to the list...it wasn't all that old either.
Amazon.com has a decent Dewalt heatgun for around $20.
I've used it on at least 6 full vehicle wrap jobs so far (that's quite a few hours of burning) and it's still going strong, even after a couple good drops. About to get another one as a backup.

promer

Thats some funny **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** !!! by the way the snap ring pliers suck balls!! how can a little snap ring bend the f-ing tool?????