Harbor Freight Tube Notcher

1992f150

Reaction
Anyone know if these things are decent? there is 2 different models in their catalog, both much cheaper than any other notcher i could find. I plan on using a craftsman electric drill (not a press) for mostly 1 1/2" .120" tubing. I know first hand how bad their powertools are but I figured the notcher is fairly simple so it might be ok.

"Freeze! Drop the gun! Drop that mig gun!" -The welding police.

AZmiik

Reaction
I have one and have no real complaints. It was a little off center when I got but I fixed that with some shims. I would recomend that you check it for square before you use it and make sure all the bolts are tight.

Mike

motoxscott

Reaction
I've got the JD2 version and havent had any complaints. I havent used the harbor freight knock off, but I've heard from people that when you start to put some pressure on it, it flexes which inturn doesnt give you an accurate cut.

Nothing a grinder and a mig welder to fill in the gaps cant fix. If you're planning on using it a lot, your better off getting a better tool than a cheapo. Thats just my opinion.

cleartoy

Reaction
Been wondering the same thing. After making a bump this weekend with my new JD2 bender and MIG, i had big gaps that i filled with weld cuz i dont have a notcher. Welds look like dog doo wherever a round surface is due to filling.

I waited 5 weeks for my bender, so i think ill check out the HF notcher.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

motoxscott

Reaction
I'm pretty sure JD2 stocks their notchers, so you won't have to wait for them to build and ship it. My bender took about 4 weeks from them because demand is so high. I've ordered 4 different sets of dies and they had them in stock everytime.

or you can go with the harbor freight version.

Marshall

Reaction
I have used HF notcher that uses a hole saw. Is this what your woundering about? I have used actual notchers ( Low Buck Tool) and find the hole saw style works way better. As far as quality goes, its a Harbor F product !? but I did a complete cage with the notcher and its still going strong.The ticket is to keep the shaft greased and the hole saw cooled with oil and it works great. There only like 50-60 bucks so you cant really go wrong . Its worth it to buy a quality one if your a fab shop but other wise save you money and get the HF. Just my 2 cents. FYI you cant use a drill press with these so you need a 1/2" chuck drill. AND ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN GRINDING! G@D I HATE GRINDING!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I had a JD2 Notcher and it worked great! It was my friends though and he took it back heh.

I then got a Harbor Freight $60 notcher and the first time I used it the whole bottom plate bent! So that was the last time I used that lol.

Now I just use my chop saw and grinder to get them pretty good. Nothing my MIG welder can't handle.

Go Big Or Go Home
*UBCS 4 Life*

cleartoy

Reaction
Cool, thanks for the info guys!

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

Kbach66

Reaction
I think for the money spent (or lack of!) that the Harbor freight notcher works fine. I've had one for about 4 years and the only thing I did was shim it when I got it, and I also had to replace the bushing once. I'm not sure but I think the newer style of HF notcher is made a little different than mine, but I'm sure it works just as well

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The HF model is OK for light use. They wear out the shaft bushing really quick, keep it greased. Some of the better ones have needle bearings on the shaft and last much longer. I renforced the HF notcher to keep it from chattering as bad, makes your saws last longer. Make shure your not spinning the saw to fast as it will burn up blades really fast.