Hard Drive

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I just got an 80G hard drive, I run windows ME and it is only recognizing 31G on the drive. I had to set the cap limit on the drive.

My question is what are my options do I have to live with the 31g with WIN ME or do I have to partition it or something. I haven't messed with compters in years so I can't remember what to do. Thanks

TimHayosh

Reaction
First, I would make sure the BIOS is auto detecting it. And yes, you may need to format it. A partition is not required to access the full 80 gig. If you have another harddrive in the same machine that you can boot from, that should allow you to right-click on the new HD and select "format". Reboot. If everything is right, you should have all 80 Gig.

Good Luck.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
It is a slave drive. Formatted at 31G becasue of the cap limit jumper. Bios will only see the drive if the cap limit is set. It is a Maxtor and I have heard that some people have had trouble with them, but noth sure what.

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
There are sevral things that could be happening. First you need to check the actual drive and make sure all the jumpers are correct. Some hd have a jumper setting that limits its size. Since some older motherboard's bios refuse to detect large drives, a jumper can be installed to fake it into thinking it is smaller. Second, check your bios and make sure it is in the large disk mode or auto.

If all these are correct and its still not recognizing the full size, you have two options. Some hd manufacturers provide downloadable software that will bypass your bios and configure/ format the drive to its correct size. The other option is to partition your drive into smaller drives.

Hope this helps!

Your local Dezert Software Engineer

slimjim

Reaction
some older motherboards have max hd sizes which are pretty low. i had an asus p5a-b which would only allow for the use of 28gb. look on the net for some info on your motherboard, if it does have a 31gb max you may be able to re-flash your bios - you'll need to find a newer bios for your board on the net - and if you aren't comfortable using a command line os (dos), then you might want some help. i'd like to know if that's it, so please keep us posted.