harsh rear supension, need help???

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Hey i have a ford f150 and recently got a fabtech 3" lift it has upper control arms and springs up front, the front is smooth, but the back just chatters and bounces,i have the stock leaf springs in the rear with 1.5" blocks. I plan on getting leaf springs in the future, but i was trying to figure out a way to make the rear a little plusher and possibly gain some travel. Would longer shackles help or maybe taking a leaf out of the spring. I would like to eliminate the lift block so i don't get any wheel hop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ToooStifff!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dbd167 on 06/04/02 09:18 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

If you carry stuff in the bed, flop the load leaves upside down. Just did this to the tow rig 4wd 3/4t Suburban. Made a huge diff.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I have 1998 chevy 1500 and mine too is really stiff in the rear. I have 6 inches of downward travel and 2 inches of upward travel hahha. I carry 3 dirtbikes in the back of my truck with all sorts of other goodies would it be a bad idea to remove my overload spring?

Crayfish

Another setup that works well is to make a 1/2" thick spacer to go between the leaf pack and the overload spring. It lets the truck travel down further before the spring pack contacts the overload spring, probably around an inch.

ntsqd

That'll work, but in order for the main spring pack to contact the overload you'll be bending it in a reverse arch. Cool for wheel travel, way bad for spring life.

I've friend who about has his truck set up with the overloads such that b4 he puts any load in the truck the overloads will drop down on top of the main spring pack. They will set indexed on a pin and captured so that they can't rotate. Putting enough load (like a cab-over camper) in the bed pretty much contains the springs. He's not quite crazy enough to try the whoops with the camper in the bed, so loosing the overloads from totally unloading them isn't a worry. When he doesn't have the camper in the bed the overloads reside in the camper.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages