Has anybody seen this happen before?

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Same thing here with a four seater that we prepped for the Baja Cup, it won the race but halfway he was complaining that the car was running out of fuel, got it back and took the cell apart to find the "garden hose" pick up. The car has always ran fine till we put C-12 in it for that race.

Byrdman

Asked to be removed
Reaction
Make sure that when you replace the hose, It's rated for fuel on both sides of the hose, other wise it could ventilate itself again. (rot from the outside- in)

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Did anyone that had a problem with a FUEL SAFE cell talk to them or get any info back from them on what to do to keep it from failing . This $ 5.00 hose cost me about twenty grand @ the Baja 1000. And the F&L fuel bill for $ 800 from them for the 5 gallons that we put in @ mile 45 splash pit and what we topped off the truck with at the start is all the fuel we used. Does anyone have a place that can test fuel so I can find out what is doing this to the hose. Thanks

BlueBear

Prep/Woody/Sleepy/Drive-Bear
Reaction
do u keep fuel in ur cell while ur truck sits or do u empty it out? ive been told by a few different people that you should keep some fuel in the tank to keep stuff from drying out.

PALAPABOY

Reaction
do u keep fuel in ur cell while ur truck sits or do u empty it out? ive been told by a few different people that you should keep some fuel in the tank to keep stuff from drying out.

I had the fuel cell dry b4 the last race to clean / replace the pickup screen filter in the cell and it all looked like new then filled it up and it sat about three weeks b4 the race. Thanks for the info.

Josh @ DanZio

Chains
Reaction
The guy above is correct. You need hose that is rated for fuel on BOTH sides of the hose. I use that kind of hose for my vents because you can see the fuel in the vent, but it is never saturated with fuel.

VORRA-BJ

Reaction
that sucks, same thing happened to us at the 1000 while pre running, just after the lake bed, kept blowing efi fuses kept tracking the wiring. found what we thought was the problem, after using every spare fuse we tore the fuel cell apart found the hoses looking just like that.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction

Good quality hose shouldn't "dry" out. That stuff looks like water hose from Homo-Depot.

Reaction
Same thing happened to us at Parker '08. Factory-supplied hose, just over a year old, pump gas only, And never allowed to dry out. Limped around, cost us first place.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Mine was a Fuel Safe cell in my 4-seater with a pump gas motor and I believe it was a factory installed pickup hose. It was fine. Then it was not, looked exactly like the pics in post #1. I think it was caused by Calif pump gas with some additive that ate up the hose. Maybe a batch of bad hoses but I think it's more likely a fuel additive in the pump gas. Since I replaced the hose and cleaned the gunk out of the cell, it's been fine.

Has anyone had this problem when the fuel cell has been on a strict diet of pure race fuel?

JCA

Reaction
Gray hose here, in my rock buggy, nothing but pump gas (Ca. pump gas) same results as the picture.

cusico

Reaction
So what has been the fix for running pump gas in ca???

Same problem on mine.

King Dan

Reaction
Did anyone that had a problem with a FUEL SAFE cell talk to them or get any info back from them on what to do to keep it from failing . This $ 5.00 hose cost me about twenty grand @ the Baja 1000. And the F&L fuel bill for $ 800 from them for the 5 gallons that we put in @ mile 45 splash pit and what we topped off the truck with at the start is all the fuel we used. Does anyone have a place that can test fuel so I can find out what is doing this to the hose. Thanks

contact TT he has a report on fuel and the effects on the rubber hose

PALAPABOY

Reaction
I was contacted by e-mail from an attorney that said if we had enough people with problems like this that there might be merit for a class action lawsuit. Not sure that I want to go that direction but the response I got from Fuel Safe was not very satisfactory either. After all when you buy a Fuel Safe fuel cell, you are not buying a cheap one, and expect the quality that has always been behind Fuel Safe. The thing that bothered me the most about Fuel Safe's response is that their only solution was to check the cell every year, but mine is only 7 monthes old. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Sorry to hear that this has happened to so many people. Honestly before I posted this I truly thought this was a fuel issue. Now it really seems that it is a manufacturer defect, imo.

firedog

Reaction
buy a pick up from ATL? Just a thought, has anyone with ATL cells been having any issues?

Fourstroker

Reaction