Has technology killed baja??

sooner02r1

Reaction
I may get flamed for this thread, but what the heck. I think that the IRC trackers, youtube, etc may be hurting what the Baja races are all about. They are great for safety and for the spectators, but Baja started out as, we start at ensenada and the first one back (or the first one to la paz or wherever the 1000 ends this year) wins. When they start nit picking each turn in the course it becomes more of a drawn out short course race. I am a Ricky Johnson fan and I am also a Robby Gordon and BJ fan, but I think it sucks pretty bad getting penalized for a few feet of deviation here and there on a 500 mile, point to point race. I wish they would in this way, revert back to the older ways, although I know it won't happen.

Thoughts?

FatCity

Reaction
I don't have a Class 1 or a Trophy truck. Since they are only scrutinizing two classes it dosn't effect most of us. Unless they decide to pick two different classes next time.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
Our classes are coming per SCORE website

Sheaco

Reaction
I may get flamed for this thread, but what the heck. I think that the IRC trackers, youtube, etc may be hurting what the Baja races are all about. They are great for safety and for the spectators, but Baja started out as, we start at ensenada and the first one back (or the first one to la paz or wherever the 1000 ends this year) wins. When they start nit picking each turn in the course it becomes more of a drawn out short course race. I am a Ricky Johnson fan and I am also a Robby Gordon and BJ fan, but I think it sucks pretty bad getting penalized for a few feet of deviation here and there on a 500 mile, point to point race. I wish they would in this way, revert back to the older ways, although I know it won't happen.

Thoughts?
When the Baja started there may have been twenty or so racers finding their way from point a to point z. Now there's 200 to 400 racers, could you imagine the utter may lay that would ensue? The current racing that we see going on is a result of racers going uncheck for years, I believe it's human nature to push the limits or boundries of what's a "Fast Line" and what is Cheating. You Tube didn't kill the Radio Star.

randy1123

Reaction
I am a supporter of the rules, but when will Sal step up and do random drug testing? I think this is a more important issue.

MALABANAN

Reaction
Drink a beer, roll a joint, sniff a line, married men doing mexican hookers on race night, planning on cutting course, speeding on highway, Class 11 using the highest grade fuel( Eric) not pump gas, using highway(sombrerito racing), too many goons! We are all guilty! Like there isn't enough to worry about in Baja already! ROBBY GORDON IS THE CHAMP OF BAJA 2009! Rick Johnson and his charity 1st place, yeah right, your a slug TT!!!

scottm

Reaction
If the rules said 'get to la paz however you want' it would be ok to deviate, but then there would be carnage on the backroads. Instead the rules say 'stay on the marked course'. So now at the meeting when Sal says 'stay on the marked course', there will be no wink to the stars. This is a good thing for the sport, the locals, and the racers.

MALABANAN

Reaction
Baja is for MEN!! Not Wussies!! Wussies race NASCAR, drive in circles and get penalized for voicing they're opinion!!! Now we no why VW wanted out!!! ROBBY IS THE CHAMP!!! Go put a IRC tracking device on your wife SAL!

Kent Kroeker

Reaction
I am a supporter of the rules, but when will Sal step up and do random drug testing? I think this is a more important issue.
I'm even more concerned about the prostate testing.

Have you seen the size of Sal's Superbowl ring?

Sheaco

Reaction
Baja is for MEN!! Not Wussies!! Wussies race NASCAR, drive in circles and get penalized for voicing they're opinion!!! Now we no why VW wanted out!!! ROBBY IS THE CHAMP!!! Go put a IRC tracking device on your wife SAL!
For real Gina? Baja's for Men? Men don't cheat, My Dad always taught me that part of being a Man is to do the right thing even when nobodies looking. Why don't you go stick your head in the Oven with a comment like that about Sal's Wife, Don't be a Jabronie.

MALABANAN

Reaction
Fart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MALABANAN

Reaction
For real Gina? Baja's for Men? Men don't cheat, My Dad always taught me that part of being a Man is to do the right thing even when nobodies looking. Why don't you go stick your head in the Oven with a comment like that about Sal's Wife, Don't be a Jabronie.
America the beautiful, freedom of speech! SAL'S A KOOK!!!

Sheaco

Reaction

MALABANAN

Reaction
Your Maybe Right, But leave His Wife out of it.
Sensitive? Sorry? We are here to rant, rave, praise and etc...Just trying to make a point! SCORE has finally stepped up! Great! But, what about all the fake past champs!!! Hengeveld, Cambell, Robertson Brothers alternate route during massive flooding, Solorzano on the highway, Arambula 5/1600 on highway, the list goes on!!!How many 500 and 1000 races are a sham trophy on the mantel? Cheaters prosperred, just not NOW!!! Go roll a fatty for big daddy! Sorry Sal, I let you punch me in the face, Kimbo Slice style, you win. I can take it!!!

Alex Paterson

Reaction
No, it hasn't. There was a successful race and someone was caught doing something they were not supposed to be doing and SCORE, after endless complaints, did something about it.

Will RG do it again, maybe, maybe not but YouTube, IRC and camera phones are not what made RG fuel on the road, he did. This sport is what it is today because of this technology. TT's and class ones can go as fast as they can because of advancements in technology. I doubt anyone out there above Class 9 or Class 11 wants to go back to 6" of mono-tube controlled suspension.

-Alex

Lucho

Reaction
The world is full of idiots and the off-road community is no exception.

I used to ride a 1971 Husky with almost 6 inches of rear travel. Then I went to 1974 Husky with a full 6 inches of travel and the new "laid-down" shocks design. Years later I'm riding a 450 Honda, with all kinds of suspension and handlig capabilities.
The world changes, and so must we. Rules are rules, course markings are course markings and people who want to circumvent that are "idiots" and "cheaters."

You don't want to play by the rules? Go somewhere else, or better yet, grab a whole bunch of your "cheater" friends who think alike (some of you), each ponny-up $1000.00 and bet to see who will get from Ensenada to La Paz first--and tell them that they can't use the highway. How much you want to bet that you and all other "cheaters" would get pis sed off at the guy who took the highway--or maybe all of you took the highway! jajaja!

Just think how Kory and Harley must feel that they: 1) Did not cheat, 2) Drove as hard as they could, 3) and beat everyone! Those are winners in my book.

Lucho

pciscott

Reaction
We have been running trackers for years, this was long overdue! Use it or loose it, paying $275 per race for a placebo is not fair for the guys who walk the line. This shakeup is what Baja racing needed, the good old days of finding your way down the peninsula in cars or bikes with 6 inches of travel are gone. The population and speeds we race dictate we stay on the marked course! I for one am glad it happened, and anyone who does not race because of it is a CHEATER! Viva Baja!