Hats off to KARTMAN!

Reaction
Not only is the guy a tireless and creative shooter, he fights for his rights and wins:

"Had my day in court for the BS ticket I got from BLM at the Terribles 250. I was cited for being on a closed road which was open to BITD staff and credentialed media coming off Jean Dry lake.

Met with head ranger at the court, showed him my credentials from the race, where it happened and other race info. Ranger dismissed case since they knew it was total horse**BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**. It was a pain to come up here for court and cost me more than the ticket would have but it was the right thing to do. As off roaders we have let BLM step on our dicks far to often without fighting back. We need to change that and fight these BS tickets when a ranger makes up rules int he field.

Kartman WINS
Durka WINS
The Dirt Nation WINS"

I would like to have seen the BLM actually lose in court rather than subject Matt to this infringement of ALL our rights and then just weasel out and fold.

These overzealous rangers are giving the whole agency a bad image.

07FJRog

Reaction
yeh, good for him!

BLM, never seems to be on the same page everywhere, at Ocotillo they are one way, then glamis another then Pismo another. can't even keep there own rules straight. then, heaven forbid you get the one with small man/dick syndrome and it is even worse :eek:

trent06

Mush
Reaction
WHEN I talked to Matt this past weekend at the Rally race, he was talking about this, I am glad to see that it turned out well....! If he gets some pictures up on his website from the rally I am sure that would help towards his gas money to Vegas for this ticket!:D:D

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
glAd to to hear the bogus ticket was dismissed.

Just like idiot off-roaders hurt the image of the entire family, overzealous (or uninformed) LE officers hurt the reputation of all LE officers.... Not saying that's always the case, but it would seem to be the case here.

Good for you Matt.

DNPHOTO

Reaction
glAd to to hear the bogus ticket was dismissed.

.... Not saying that's always the case, but it would seem to be the case here.
Unfortunately in the desert, it is typically the case. None of us want to create a hassle for the guys working out there. Most (I say MOST) of us are trying to operate within our boundaries and want nothing more than to be able to get out there and do our job. I stop and ask Rangers at almost every race about what my limitations are for the weekend. Most times, you get a different answer from each Ranger you speak with. Give us the rules to follow, make sure the Rangers are all aware of these rules...and you'll see a lot less problems out of the media guys out there. Like I said, we really don't want any of them to have to chase across the desert to "correct" us. Not only does it ruin our day, but it takes the Rangers away from doing whatever else it is that they should be doing.

Great job Matt...any chance of sending them a bill?:D

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Unfortunately in the desert, it is typically the case. None of us want to create a hassle for the guys working out there. Most (I say MOST) of us are trying to operate within our boundaries and want nothing more than to be able to get out there and do our job. I stop and ask Rangers at almost every race about what my limitations are for the weekend. Most times, you get a different answer from each Ranger you speak with. Give us the rules to follow, make sure the Rangers are all aware of these rules...and you'll see a lot less problems out of the media guys out there. Like I said, we really don't want any of them to have to chase across the desert to "correct" us. Not only does it ruin our day, but it takes the Rangers away from doing whatever else it is that they should be doing.

agreed 100% Dirk... I have had this same frustrating experience, even when identifying myself as a LEO.... Very frustrating.

Tipracer

Reaction
Great job Matt, SOOO gald this tuurned out in your favor, to bad it cost you a day but it was a day well spent..

FCORR

Reaction
Good job Matt! For being both a hardworker in this industry and for standing up for what is right!

baja619

Reaction

10-4 on that.

At the 08 BITD Terribles Town 250 I spotted a couple of BLM Rangers pulled over on the paved road near the dry lake. I stopped Behind them and asked a couple of questions about how everything was going and that I was trying to make my way over to another area. They gladly assisted me and I offered them some cold beverages which they accepted.

If the time and opportunity is appropriate I have no issues consulting with the LEO in attempt to understand what they deem is acceptable.

Way to run it Matt.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
what do you expect from the highly tuned govt entity.
we expect to be treated fairly and not to be hassled doing a job that could be dangerous if you're distracted by some overzealous dude with a badge.

i think some of those ranger types mistake the off-road media for our cousins in hollywood that make a ton of money in air conditioned studios. while we make pennies or less out in the hot sun getting powder coated with silt by dudes with mullets.

i called the BLM BEFORE the V2R and checked to see where i could and couldn't go. i got a mini-lecture by the dude in charge and then the lady i was transfered to said i didn't need a permit since i was not shooting for a specific project or not working for anybody but myself. Photographers don't need a permit, videographers/cinematographers need a permit. on top of the BITD/SCORE/SNORE ect. credential. then at staging i introduced myself to the BLM honcho and he gave me a more in depth lecture about how i needed a permit. i just waited for him to finish and got the hell away from that guy. nothing i did or say was going to make him happy. besides didn't i call him 8 days before to try to do the right thing.

unfortunately those way cool friendly BLM rangers are going to do what they want and getting a judge with common sense might be the only way out. good for you Kartman for sticking up for your rights and prevailing.

i'd bet they aren't all pricks but the ones who are give the whole lot of them a bad name.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
I would have been more impressed if he wore the horns.

I cannot confirm this, it is just a rumor, but I think I heard from a guy who has been to Vegas that.... Kartman WAS wearing his horns in court! When asked by the judge if he had any defense...Kartman put his horns on, lowered his head, started snorting like a bull, and started charging and goring everyone in the courtroom! :eek: The judge declared a mistrial and let Kartman go!:D Just a rumor, but it sounds right.

Good job Kartman.... I would like to see that BLM ranger apologize that bugged us at V2R near Goldfield.. he drove up and strutted down the road to us with a drink in his hand and told Kartman he couldn't give a ticket to Kartman's vehicle this time, like he did at Primm.... what an AZZ! :mad:

Reaction
Photographers don't need a permit, videographers/cinematographers need a permit.
No, they don't. For the BLM, or any government agency*, to enforce such a position would be to practice prior restraint, one of the most heinous injuries government can inflict on the US Constitution and specifically the First Amendment.

That's why BLM management ordered the ILLEGAL citation squashed: to avoid the plethora of lawsuits that would ensue from such a anti-American action.

They knew they weren't dealing with a rollover patsy.

* Does not apply to Classified materials unless the classifying agency is ordered to release info by a judge. Google "United States vs Stevens," "FOIA," "Daniel Ellsburg," or "prior restraint" to learn more.

Last edited:

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
Thanks everyone, it was good to get a win for our side. Below is the full story for those that car to read it.

Fist let me say that not all BLM Rangers are bad or A holes but there are definitely a few.
The full story.

Durka Vs. United States. Durka Seven, United States Nothing.

BITD Terrible’s Town 250

During the morning race while coming off the power load road near Pit 1 I drove around a rope and was flagged down by Nick Burnard (I did not know who it was at the time) of BLM who saw it. I believe Nick’s title is Outdoor Recreation Planner. In short he is the go between for the Rangers and the Race Promoter. He is the guy Sal, Casey and Don all deal with for race permits and BLM ranger staffing at the race as well as race staff and media access to the course.

He said not to go around the ropes as the Biologists might lodge a complaint and showed me how they had made loops on the ends of the ropes to make it easy for us to drive over them during the race. He confirmed that we were allowed on access roads but warned us not to blaze a trail across the desert. Common sense that most of the media people already know.

Afternoon race, 3rd lap. I was coming off of Jean Dry lake onto Knight Ranch Rd when a Ranger blocked my exit. Ranger Regnell approached me and a friend who was working with me that day and said “Do you ever get the feeling you are somewhere you are not supposed to be?” I said no and we proceeded to discuss media access at races. I told him that since it was a BITD event we were allowed to use access roads to get to the course. We showed him out credentials, vests (we were wearing them at the time) and the vehicle passes that I had on my truck. I also explained that were had had contact with another BLM official who was not a ranger earlier in the day that confirmed we were allowed to drive out to the course.

At one point he asked me how often I shot races as if I was new to it. I explained that I worked almost every Las Vegas area race including over 10 in the past year and I again explained the different levels of access as they often apply to the different sanctioning bodies.

He went to his vehicle for some time. While he was gone I spoke with another ranger who seemed reasonable and gave me the impression that he agreed that were we OK to be there.

Ranger Regnell returned and issued me a citation for 43CFR 8364.1(D) with “Vehicle in closed area with media pass.” in the description. He was courteous and professional the entire time and I was polite and respectful even though I knew I was getting shafted.

Fast forward to today.

My case was to be heard at the Federal District Court of NV in downtown Vegas. This was mainly for just guilty or not guilty pleas. When I checked in the clerk said I could talk with the BLM, the head ranger and 1 field ranger were present, about a plea deal. I understood this to mean I could negotiate a plea bargain. Considering the citation to be 100% cougar crap I took my seat and waited for my case to be called since I had no intention of taking a deal.

When my case was called and the Judge read the charges I told him I was not sure how to plead since I was on the road in question but I was allowed to be since I had credentials. The Judge suggested I speak with the head ranger.

I went outside the courtroom, showed him the citation, my credential, vehicle pass and vest. I also showed him photos of the road where it happened and maps of the area. I informed him I had statements from my friend who was with me at the time and from BITD stating we were allowed on course. I also explained my interaction with Nick Burnard on the morning of the race. He said it all seemed so strange that I got a citation since I was credentialed, and said he would agree to dismiss it. We went back in to the courtroom and I was called again, the BLM said they were recommending dismissal, the judge went along with it and I was on my way.

While it cost me a bit more money to go to court instead of just paying the citation what many of the Rangers do to off roaders at the races is wrong and I was not about to stand by and let them walk all over me when I was just doing my job and within the rules laid out for us. Also I would rather my money go into the American economy than the pockets of a bloated Gov org like the BLM.

I strongly encourage anyone else who has received a ticket when they were within the rules to fight it. If we keep rolling over and paying they will just keep screwing us.

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
Good job Kartman.... I would like to see that BLM ranger apologize that bugged us at V2R near Goldfield.. he drove up and strutted down the road to us with a drink in his hand and told Kartman he couldn't give a ticket to Kartman's vehicle this time, like he did at Primm.... what an AZZ! :mad:
The Ranger in Doug's post above was in fact Ranger Regnell, the same who cited me in Primm.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Good job Matt standing up for your rights. Now if everyone follows suit instead of paying we might get this under control.

I honestly just don't get the logic of this whole mess out there. While my dealings with them have been good, but the stories I have heard just don't make sense. They need us as more then we need them. Our races pay a large portion of thier budget. You would think that races paying to keep them around might want them to support said racing.