• Forum membership has its advantages....

Haul your vintage buggy.....

Old School 6-7-8

.....old school style, on a rack in the back of an old pickup!
Copy of IMG_1730.JPG

I was looking through my old racing photos and found this one of Fritz Kroyer's High Jumper at the Mint 400 from the early 1980's. I remember quit a few racers hauling their buggies to the events this way.

Bro_Gill

My thoughts exactly. Seeing all those old buggies hanging out of the back of F250s and Chevy Duallies would be cool. I am thinking of a rack for my car(s) as well. Had a friend who simply drove his into the back of his Chevy long bed with stock VW tires/rims to make it work, no extra ramps or anything.

jps1145

I used to haul my sand car like that on the back of a '78 F250 4x4 pulling a 20' travel trailer. Talk about a slow ride up Mountain Springs grade... It was always an "E-Ticket" driving it up onto the truck.

Chris Wilson was hauling his Prerunner 4-Seater this way on his F350 and got stopped by cops in Baja - I think the rack is for sale...

I've flat towed vehicles back from La Paz and Cabo after Baja 1000's - works great.

Mark Stahl

We flat tow back from Cabo for the NORRA events. Much easier then towing an empty trailer 1000 miles.
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1418694365.393831.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

3 Amigos Racing

Got me thinking about flat tow for NORRA versus my 18 ft enclosed.. I have a swingaxle buggy so a little concerned about dragging it home if it breaks big cause it wont freewheel.
I know the highway narrow but is the trailer issue just parking? I guess so cause when I have been to San Felpe or Ensenada I remmber now what a hassle it is to park..

Rory

Crayola Killer
Some of the roads heading south are very narrow and the Semi trucks take up the ENTIRE road when they are coming at you. That's the only thing that scares me with the flat tow also is screwing your racer up beyond the point of making it a roller. Seems like the traffic on the HWY is a lot less crowded for NORRA so the trailer issue isn't as bad compared to the Baja 1000.

Zambo

I flat towed my Chevy back last year. Piece of cake. Yes, towing a trailer all that way is a PITA. I figured if I wadded it up so much that it wouldn't roll I'd find a commercial truck to haul it back, or I'd go to a junkyard and buy and old axle and weld something up.

I used an off the shelf 5000lb tow bar last year. When I got back, some of the holes in the mounts were wallowed out a bit. For this year I welded up a custom tow bar with heims that should be a lot stronger. I plan on mounting the tow bar to the race truck somewhere so I can get anybody with a receiver hitch to give me a tow if I ever break down and don't have a chase truck following me. OBTW, I'm wiring a pigtail into the grill that'll plug into the tow vehicle light socket and activate the taillights on my desert truck.

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
I like to use the East Ready lane out of Mexicali and I have lost two trailer tires from the lane being so narrow and the edges of the K rail. There may be something to this flat tow.

Zambo

Yes, my truck is 88" track width, and of course if I do hang a tire its no big deal because guess what, its a 37. Beats the hell out of a 102" trailer with tiny tires.

Quailhunter

Covert Troll.
This would be bad ass with a VOTRL on the back.

image.jpg
image.jpg

y2kbaja

When you guys flat tow is the tow'd licensed? We are thinking about flat towing a buggy back after the race.