• Forum membership has its advantages....

Haul your vintage buggy.....

Can you still license a Tow'd in CA?

Do you have to win the DMV specialty lottery to do so?

y2kbaja

Tow'd = bad choice of words for this crowd :)
Towed vehicle. When you flat towed the vehicle home from Cabo is it licensed? We plan to trailer to Ensenada, race to Cabo then flat tow with tow bar back to Ensenada. We are driving the race car on the highway during transits so not sure why we can't flat tow them home.

harleys dad

Picture of our setup at Rage. We have been using the rack for years.
I have hauled my class 11 51600 1600 cars and my 4 seater on my rack, hauled the class 11 back from La paz. My f 350 doesnt even know a car is up there. I have hauled 2 car trailer with another on the rack also. I use to drive the cars up there but now have a 12000 pound winch that brings them up with no effort at all. Yes I know 12000 is complete overkill but you take the deals you can get and got it for 299. Harbor frieght winch is terrific, New years hauled my class 11 up like it was nothing!

CMA GUMBY

In CA, anything that has a tire on the ground must be currently registered. I have seen alot of buggies,Jeeps etc being flat towed that I'm sure were not street legal. Just need to be lucky I guess. Don't know about Mexico though. If that was your question,sorry I wasted your time...

Zambo

The border agent at the San Ysidro crossing did ask for the registration for the Humungus (which I had). Not sure what he would have said if it wasn't registered.

Bro_Gill

I remember seeing the metallic green 5 car that Mel Tyree and later, Malcolm Vinje and Mark Hansen drove to many wins/championships hauled around by a VW split window transporter towing the trailer. Like to Vegas in the summer time, Lucerne, etc... That pic above is coolamundo. Was the John Sprague's car?

Rory

Crayola Killer
I remember seeing the metallic green 5 car that Mel Tyree and later, Malcolm Vinje and Mark Hansen drove to many wins/championships hauled around by a VW split window transporter towing the trailer. Like to Vegas in the summer time, Lucerne, etc... That pic above is coolamundo. Was the John Sprague's car?
That's Danny Thompson's Funco he raced back in the early 80's.

LantanaTX

The border agent at the San Ysidro crossing did ask for the registration for the Humungus (which I had). Not sure what he would have said if it wasn't registered.
The border agents at Tecate asked us for the registration of both old Funco's which we did NOT have. We told them they were race cars and didn't need registration.

slanted66

Bro, I stumbled across that pic on a drag racing forum. I like the contrast of the big motors and the VW transporter in the background.

ACME

Gene Bantilan (RIP) used to haul his 9 car to La Rana races in the back of a flatbed truck. Fast forward when his son Cory started racing his C-9 Baja aka Pinky in MORE, I believe they hauled it from Santa Barbara in the same liftgate truck... Perfect hauler platform for a small light weight buggy!