Hauler / Chase Truck DOT Compliance

SuperRanger

I'm curious if anyone is having issues with DOT / CDL compliance. I see plenty of heavy duty logo'd chase trucks towing logo'd race trucks. Not trying to debate legality with a state trooper here, just wondering if it is getting enforced and if pro teams are going the route of DOT / CDL for box trucks, F-450, etc.

Bro_Gill

I have heard from several folks now that 3 axle trailers are getting popped for no CDL/proper class of license.

ErikIrvine

I haven't had any problems and I drive work trucks with trailers all day every day in so cal (race trailer is a triple axle)

motoman29

Make sure that any driver who is operating a vehicle over 10,000 gvwr (any dual wheel truck basically) has a medical card. This is an out of service violation.

Medical Cards are easy to get and usually cost less than $75 for 2 years

Any time that vehicle travels more than a radius of 100 air miles, a log book is also needed. This is also an out of service violation.

Log books cost less than $2 and there are videos online about how to properly fill them out.

Any trailer that is 10,001 lbs (basically all triple axles and is a red flag that CHP can see from miles away) requires a Class A. This is an out of service violation.

I can keep going, but those are the basic ones that get most people in trouble.

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
Make sure that any driver who is operating a vehicle over 10,000 gvwr (any dual wheel truck basically) has a medical card. This is an out of service violation.

Medical Cards are easy to get and usually cost less than $75 for 2 years

Any time that vehicle travels more than a radius of 100 air miles, a log book is also needed. This is also an out of service violation.

Log books cost less than $2 and there are videos online about how to properly fill them out.

Any trailer that is 10,001 lbs (basically all triple axles and is a red flag that CHP can see from miles away) requires a Class A. This is an out of service violation.

I can keep going, but those are the basic ones that get most people in trouble.
You can drive a truck under 26,000 lbs with a regular liscence.

They don’t give out the green medical cards anymore, you only need to take the medical test on a commercial liscence

Bro_Gill

You can drive a truck under 26,000 lbs with a regular liscence.

They don’t give out the green medical cards anymore, you only need to take the medical test on a commercial liscence
No, non-commercial Class B and above are suppose to have a medical on file with DMV (Don't have to have the card ion your person), but in some cases, it is simply fill out the information and turn it in, no doctor needed. Depends on what you are driving. I believe all 5th wheel RVs towing another vehicle behind fall into this category.

chicken lips the ocho

Most Annoying RDC Poster
No, non-commercial Class B and above are suppose to have a medical on file with DMV (Don't have to have the card ion your person), but in some cases, it is simply fill out the information and turn it in, no doctor needed. Depends on what you are driving. I believe all 5th wheel RVs towing another vehicle behind fall into this category.
Class B is a commercial liscence. The medical cards are gone now.

Bro_Gill

You can get a non-commercial class B. I had one for many years. Non-commercial class A to haul RV doubles in California is available as well.

motoman29

CDL holder or not, any commercial vehicle over 10,000 gvwr requires the driver to have a medical certificate.

they don't issue the actual green cards anymore, but you still need to have the cert attached to you DL (and in many cases have the actual paperwork with you)

i won't even get started on annual (and 90 day) inspections, fire extinguishers, fuses, triangles, DOT numbers, vehicle markings, etc.

if you get a CHP pickup truck (or blue uniform) pulling you over, they know the rules and will happily inform you of all of them along with some paperwork.

JDDurfey

CDL holder or not, any commercial vehicle over 10,000 gvwr requires the driver to have a medical certificate.

they don't issue the actual green cards anymore, but you still need to have the cert attached to you DL (and in many cases have the actual paperwork with you)

i won't even get started on annual (and 90 day) inspections, fire extinguishers, fuses, triangles, DOT numbers, vehicle markings, etc.

if you get a CHP pickup truck (or blue uniform) pulling you over, they know the rules and will happily inform you of all of them along with some paperwork.

I will second this. There are some regs that don't go into affect until you are over 26,000 lb., but as soon as you cross state lines that number drops to 10,000 lb. I have first hand experience with this. So to cover your butt, just follow all the regs if you are over 10,000 gvwr and you will be good. Even if the vehicle is registered in a persons name and not a company, but being used for a commercial use the regs apply.

Bro-Dozer Motorsports

My little brother just got a ticket for not having weight stickers or commercial registration on his super duty on the way to our last race. He has a 2013 F250 with a service bed on it and was towing the race truck. The Officer informed us that it doesn't matter if it was for profit or not the fact that the service bed added weight to the truck we were now considered over the GVW once you hook anything up to the hitch because the body was "modified" to carry more.

He looked deep into it and talked with all the local CHP and we have two options either register it commercial which means hitting the scales, commercial insurance $$$, log book, medical card, and weight stickers orrrr pull the brand new service bed off and make it a regular truck again.

He is super bummed, he has wanted a real chase truck since we were kids and finally saved up enough to build out his super duty and only made it two races. So if anyone finds any loop holes that aren't bending the rules too far send em our way!

SPROCKET

My little brother just got a ticket for not having weight stickers or commercial registration on his super duty on the way to our last race. He has a 2013 F250 with a service bed on it and was towing the race truck. The Officer informed us that it doesn't matter if it was for profit or not the fact that the service bed added weight to the truck we were now considered over the GVW once you hook anything up to the hitch because the body was "modified" to carry more.

He looked deep into it and talked with all the local CHP and we have two options either register it commercial which means hitting the scales, commercial insurance $$$, log book, medical card, and weight stickers orrrr pull the brand new service bed off and make it a regular truck again.

He is super bummed, he has wanted a real chase truck since we were kids and finally saved up enough to build out his super duty and only made it two races. So if anyone finds any loop holes that aren't bending the rules too far send em our way!

or register it in South Dakota ??

CMA GUMBY

There are NO loopholes for Cali registration. What you have heard is correct. Enforcement is ramping up.

Jerry Zaiden

"Not For Hire" means nothing.

If you have a truck rated 10,000 or more you need to run weight stickers and rate the truck for the load it will be handling. Most 350/3500 trucks fall into this. THis is why we use F250 truck WITHOUT a service bed. With a service bed you need CA numbers and if you cross state lines you need a DOT number.

These laws are a mess! But they are laws you you should follow them. I hear of more people getting ticketed these days.

Example for us is we use to own a GMC 5500 crew cab box truck. We needed CA numbers and DOT numbers all drivers needed a log book and we needed commercial insurance etc. THis is no different than a box van, box truck or truck with a service bed. All of which are under 26,000 gvw etc.

Also towing we have all our trailers at 9999 rating as if your trailer is at 10,001 or more you need an endorsement to tow that trailer. Example would be 2000-2500lb trailer with a 6000 race truck is only 8500lbs so no need for the trailer to be rated for more than 10,000.

People are towing and not understanding the laws (YES DUMB LAWS) but they are laws that don't make sense. You can drive an RV with the same rating and no big deal but as soon as it is for proffit. Yes all desert racing is for profit because you can win money or you have sponsors who pay you or give you product (all is for profit).

motoman29

or register it in South Dakota ??
(Over 10,000lbs GVWR)
That would be even worse. Then they will ticket you for not having proper registration and can (if they dig deep enough) make you pay back CA registration fees and penalties plus citation for improper registration.

Nevada is also ramping up and bending people over. Last September, one of my drivers got pulled over with a F550 and a 9900 lb trailer. (Over 10,000 lbs GVWR) He had a medical card, but no current log book. He was put out of service.

In addition, he did not have a Nevada trip permit (TX straight plates). After $1300+ in fines and having to send another driver to pickup the truck from the side of the road, we thought it was all over.

Just last week, we get a nice letter in the mail from Nevada saying that we owe another $650+ for improper registration of a vehicle. Wait! We already paid that citation. Nope, the original citation was from the county who we already paid. This is another citation to the state of NV. Talk about being charged twice for the same violation. F Nevada!