Just got back from gonzaga on my Bronco and I realized
that the AOD transmission sucks it doesn't have the torque,
next year I'll be chassing for a class 8 & i'm thinking
in getting a turbo 400 transmission.
Now my bronco is 3" wider on each side is still 4x4
I would like to keep it that way, I know you can put a t400 transmission
on a 351w engine but how the transfer case works in relation to the
transmission i have no idea. I'm also putting a new rear end so anyone
with suggestions or phone ###'s will be really good.

lowdownndirty

Reaction
I`m not defending the AOD in anyway, but I don't understand what you mean by the AOD dose not have the torque.

teamramco.com out of yuma AZ, dose good transmission work.and everything is done in house, converters and all.

If your running in baja, I would keep it simple and run a built c-6 and matching transfercase.unless of course you have a 450+hp motor and all the travel to keep your foot in the fan blades in the dirt.

As for keeping the 4wd, ether a atlas type of T-case, or a adapter plate and th400 output shaft that will mate up your current T-case. check adavance and such.

Also you could look in to running a np205 t-case.would take a mix of two cases and guts if its possible.......during the production era of the th400, ford,dodge and chev all used the np205 transfer case.......ford and dodge has the front diff on the drivers side, chevy the pass. side.
ford used both married and divorced mount T-cases depending on the year
dodge used divorced and chevy used married.

just some ideals how to go about it,hopefully some of it help`s you.

sickrick

Reaction
c6 and np205.

ntsqd

Reaction
If you're not hard core crawling it you could use the NP241 from an IFS GM truck with the TH400. It will have the drop on the Ford side, have a 2.72:1 low range, & be way lighter than a cast iron cased 205. The trick will be matching the output & input splines.
A better option that retain the OD would be to go with the 700R4 as built by someone like Bowtie Overdrives dot com. Can find those already mated to a 241 t/c. Can buy the complete adapter kit for that from Kincade Bauer.

Or you could build the AOD. They're spendy, but they can be built to do chase duty (doubt I'd race one though). Look up Baumann Engineering for the 411 on that trans as there's some parts swapping from other Ford auto's that can open up what the AOD can do.

sickrick

Reaction
Good choice on the c6.

If you don't want to use the np205 you should try the BW1345 with fixed front and rear yokes. It is the next best transfercase. Don't bother with the np 208.

steveG

Reaction
A C6 would be the simplest swap. If you can find an earlier model Bronco with a C6 you could bolt everything (including drivelines and T-case) to yours and be done with it.

I'm kind of confused about your not having torque comment as well.

BTW: post some pics of the Bronco!

Josh_K

Reaction
Dont feel bad about using a c6 transmission, there good. Some transmission builders will tell you why there better than a 400 too.

Before the Herpies went to the 6 spd squension shift manual, there first choice of transmission was the c6. When they started blowning them up they switched to the th400 and they blow them up just as fast.

And to finish the story; Then came the Wiseman and now there using the A.M.D. transmission that they have today.