Have you ever heard of this?

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
My brother thought there was a leak in my 250F's engine, that was leaking coolant.
i agreed, but than i rode it today. the engine was very hot, along with the exhaust, but than i thought about it. it wasnt overheating when it was running hot, and when it was cool, it was leaking a little bit.

So was this engine designed to run hot, and close up the crack when the motor expands??
Or is there just an overheating crack, and it happens to seal up when the motor heats up and expands??

it wont overheat, and it runs very nice when its hot, and i love it. YZ250F, if it matters. we bought it from a friend, and i didn't know much about the bike when we bought it. but its a motocross setup bike.

captainuno

Reaction
If the bike is leaking, it needs to be repaired period. Coolant leaks don't normally repair themselves. Your pretty vague on where the leak is coming from, a little more info would give the readers here a few ideas where we could help you. Eventually the leak will get worse and leave you stranded somewhere with a toasted engine.

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
well i guess it isn't leaking anymore. but when it was leaking, i was riding in the california mountains. it WAS leaking out a hole on the side of the engine.

desertrider15

Reaction
That little hole in the side of the engine is the condensation drain for the spark plug. Water must have gotten in there when he washed it and it was draining out. I have had the same thing and it sounds just like it.

Racer21(Roberto)

Reaction
alright, thats nice to know.

I think the engine is meant to run hot though, its very fast when its hot.

kjlectric

Reaction
That little hole in the side of the engine is the condensation drain for the spark plug. Water must have gotten in there when he washed it and it was draining out. I have had the same thing and it sounds just like it.
Could be the weep hole for the water pump indicating that the WP may have a seals/bearing/shaft issue. Where is the hole located where the water was leaking?