Have you swam with the sharks?

GFC

Reaction
"The six-foot sharks lurking around at San Onofre now have names: Fluffy and Sparky. Nice. People are still freaked out, despite the fact that the critters seem uninterested in human flesh. Click here for more info http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20030826-9999_1m26shark.html
and here http://www.surfline.com/community/whoknows/08_21_shark.cfm
for some professional advice on what to do if ever confronted by a shark in the water. "

now, apart of me thinks all the sighting reports are due to the one lady who was swimming with the seals that got killed. i personally have only encountered one shark while out in the water in oceanside, a small 4 footer or so. but with reports of a 15+ white swimming around, last seen south of the san onofre power plant.... iv been alittle leary of goin for a swim. it hasn't scarred me out of the water but has been somewhat more on my mind than in the past.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
When I worked on the fishing boat we would goto Guadalupe Island in Mexico and there are a TON of Great Whites there. They would come right upto the boat and we would throw carcasses out on lines and play with them. I got some awesome footage of them jumping out of the water attacking the fish and stuff. Pretty cool just wouldnt want to fall in when they are hungry lol.
One time one came up and started to knaw on the back corner of the boat lol. Lucky it was a 98 foot boat.....the shark was only about 14-16 feet lol

NORCALf150

Reaction
do you have anymore of that footage laying around????? up here in northern ca ive taken a few trips out to the fairlon islands (spelling) and seen some nice size sharks

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Ya i'll look for it....its on one of my tapes laying around somewhere lol. If I find it i'll post it up.

GFC

Reaction
that would be awsome to see austin, i got to see one out at the coranado islands one day on a 3/4 day trip... pretty bad azz, but like you said.... i wouldnt wanna be swimming with them when they r hungery

michael_loomis

Reaction
well ive been on plenty of shark trips right off mission and pacific beach ..... i and others that sportfish know damn well there are sizable sharks right here !! lol

ive hooked a few blues off mission within a mile of the surfline ....sure blues arent much to worry about , but i'd be lying if i said i didnt think about them or there cousins EVERY time i grab my sponge and hit the water !!

i have NO desire to become "the other white meat !"

4x4Yota

Reaction
Yeah, the attack at Avila was like 5 min. from my house. A shark was just spotted by one of the fishermen on the pier at Pismo right where everyone surfs. It might have been the same shark.

martininsocal

Reaction
YOu guys don't realize how close you are to sharks, etc...everytime you hit the water. I grew up in the Bloody Triangle, was a Lifeguard there, and have "big fish" stories to tell. I have had the I failed spelling scared out of me by a 15 foot white abolone diving at Ano Nuevo Island, and have had several close encounters with Whitey, the Nurse, etc... Humans are not shark food! Sharks may be curious about what you are in the water, but they have no idea you are a meal because you are not their everyday neighbor to gnaw on. The woman who got bit at Avila was swimming with seals about 1/4 mile offshore. She was a seal lover and an unofficial ocean buff. She had probably swam with the fishies hundreds of times and never had a problem. That particular day, she was in a black wetsuit with a school of black skinned seals(whiteys' 2nd favorite, sea lions have more body fat!) swimming happiliy along when all of the sidden the seals shagged out! she, being the slowest "seal" became the first target for dinner. Much to the sharks surprise, she wasn't a seal, didn't have a tasty protien rich layer of fat, and was wrapped in crappy tasting rubber/neopreme! cough/spit. out she goes and unfortunately the bite damaged the femoral artery and she bled to death on the beach. Your odds of this happening to you? You literally have a better chance of getting hit by lightning.
I am not saying it isn't scary seeing the belly of a huge great white block out the sun as it swims over you, and it will scare the pure, undigested food out of you when you see a 24" fin coming staright at you while you paddle a "sponge" back to shore a couple hundred yards off shore with abs stuck to the bottom. But it hasn't kept me out of the water yet, and it shouldn't keep you from enjoying it.

Dave_G

Reaction
RE:"Guadalupe Island in Mexico and there are a TON of Great Whites there."

Hey Fish,
Funny you should mention sharks and Guadalupe. I just got back from a five day trip on the Spirit of Adventure last monday and we got into the big 100lb bruiser Bluefin. Here's a pic of one of my smaller 80lb fish that got his motor bit off by a white shark. I had this one hooked on 40lb with a 4/0 wide Penn and wasn't making very good progress. Almost 2 hours into the battle it got shark bit. To be honest, I'd have paid that shark to do it a half hour earlier!

Dave

Attachments

Dave_G

Reaction
Fish,
Here's a pic of our cook Danny (aka "Bubba") who whacked this nice Bluefin on a glow in the dark jig at 11pm at night while we were making squid.

Dave

Attachments

mflo

Reaction
From my recent SCUBA diving trip to Cozumel, Mexico. This is a 4.5'-5' Nurse shark. I swam up to it and spooked it once i got to within 20ft. Saw another one a couple days prior, sleeping under a shelf. They both seemed to be very tame.

martininsocal

Reaction
See Dave- That seems to happen in all the environements on the planet, the smaller rear engined guys are always getting whacked by (land) sharks with bigger motors!

It is funny you mention the sport fishing part of life. My Family is all old Portuguese from the Azores and fishing is not a right, but a requirement. I followed the big Atlantic Tuna catches off the Azores for records when I was younger, and after 8-24 hours of trying to bring in big fish on little line, most had already been on the sharky weight loss plan and were 1/3 lighter. I guess it is a symbiotic relationship, we ham-string 'em and the sharks eat easy.

4x4Yota

Reaction
Yeah, when I first heard about the attack in Avila and how the lady was swimming with seals I knew the shark thought she was one. It is a really rare thing to happen in CA.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I swim about a mile everyday right of the beach in Mission wearing a Triatholon wetsuit that makes me look like a small wounded seal...needless to say that I sure am thinking about those sharks!! But the sharks have been around for ever. About 4 years ago a lady was eaten off Point Loma by a GW, so its something you just have get over. My love of the ocean is not going to be effected by some sharks!!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Dave you got the perfect bite lol. You are lucky when they just get the tail and no more. Then its just dead weight to pull in and you still have your fish! lol.

Were the bluefin at the island? Or on the way down there?? How about the Yellowfin and Yellowtail any big ones?

I'll post some pics of shark bitten fish. Let me find them and scan them.

martininsocal

Reaction
Jr- Don't wear a seal suit and you should be fine. Years ago, the Oceanic crowd up at Long Marine Lab did a study and found that their manequin surfer was 4 times as likely to get bit in a black wetsuit than in any other color. This was with chum in the water near Ano Nuevo. I know you cane get a tri suit in colors, I have one left over from the Miami Vice era...White with pink and teal stripes! Oh, and little palm trees and seaguls on it. Seriously, why look like dinner when you can look like Don Johnson?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Here are some Great White attack aftermath photos from Guadalupe Island last year:

Here are a few Yellowtail that we got away from Big Willie!

All those bites happen in about 1 second and there is usally only one clean bite. You dont even feel it. Its pretty crazy one second the fish is fighting hard and then the next second there is nothing there but weight lol. Wouldnt want to have them take a bite out of me!!

tedmales

Reaction
i lived on an island 800 miles south of honolulu and there were sharks everywhere, but there had never been an attack in the 50 years or so the island was populated. it was the only reef for 800 miles in any direction, and there were lots of sharks. i always had on bright colors when i was in the water, untill i went fishing with a couple of guys and the lure they were using was the same color as what i wear. they caught sharks but had to let them go because the island was a preserve. damn tree and shark huggers

Attachments

jeff

Reaction
This is my favorite quote of the week... "Seriously, why look like dinner when you can look like Don Johnson?

Aloha