Head and Neck restraints...mandatory?

XTEENA

Adam's better half
RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I just want to say that when I raced Powder Puff in 2010, I wore one for the first time in testing and in the race. I rolled twice, in testing and in the race and was not hurt or sore at all. I feel that the H&N restraint saved me from injury and or fatal consequences from the rolls. I feel that it should be mandatory in all races (including PP and all smaller races), like wearing your 5 points is, or even a seat belt in a car for that matter.

XTEENA

Adam's better half
RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
serious question..if your car is upside down or on it's side on fire, is a head and neck restraint system going to be a factor in you getting out of your car if you're a bit dingy from the initial crash event? personally, i'm more skeered to get burned up in a fire than anything else and if it requires more movement to escape a situation than you have by wearing this device, then i'll take my chances without one. you can't pick which kind of crash you might be involved in.

I was on my side in a single seat 16 car and, me being an amateur racer, I had no problem with the H&N restraint. It did not effect me at all when pulling my self out of a roof access car from the ground sideways.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
RDC Crypto
have a ? can you turn your head 90deg with neck restraints on .

A decel will not let you unless it is set wrong. The new style HNR's have a sliding teather system that will let you rotate more. I have no experience with them

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
I didn't read all 3 pages but had some input. At the last 2 VORRA desert races there has been 3 incidents of injuries: first was a lawn dart after a 200' launch 80' in the air, the other 2 were spearing the opposite wall on a roller section. The lawn dart was a 7-open truck, driver wearing dcel=sore lower back, co-driver no hnr=broken L1 (prior back injuries in his lifetime. #2 was a TT, driver wearing dcel=broken L1, co-driver=no hnr, sore back. #3 was a stock full, not sure of any hnr but both occupants were broken L1 & T12. Point is, 6 drivers, 3 incidents, 2 dcels, 4 broken LOWER backs, 6 really sore backs.

Wendell #527

RDC Crypto
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
I use an R3 every race but I don't think it should be MANDATORY. If some person in another race car prefers to not wear one, that's his right. It doesn't hurt me if he breaks his neck when he wrecks. That's the way it should be. With all the lawsuits now, it may not be that way. Maybe if that guy does break his neck and sues, then that would shut down races and I would wish it would have been mandatory. Did I just go around in a circle?

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
RDC Crypto
I use an R3 every race but I don't think it should be MANDATORY. If some person in another race car prefers to not wear one, that's his right. It doesn't hurt me if he breaks his neck when he wrecks. That's the way it should be. With all the lawsuits now, it may not be that way. Maybe if that guy does break his neck and sues, then that would shut down races and I would wish it would have been mandatory. Did I just go around in a circle?

Unfortunately you did, just a little though!!! Maybe loosen up the left tether on your R3, its pullin' ya to the side ;)

Why yes, yes you did.

Dough!

Jimmy8

RDC Crypto
Website
www.DownAndDirtyShow.com
This is like saying that shoulder pads in football should be optional. Would it make it easier for namely quarterbacks and recievers to play? Yes without a doubt! Then why is it not optional? Common sense says that they would be idiots to play without them! As far as I am concerned there is no argument here. HNR should be mandatory across the board regardless of class, no exceptions.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
RDC Crypto
Website
www.upr.com
I didn't read all 3 pages but had some input. At the last 2 VORRA desert races there has been 3 incidents of injuries: first was a lawn dart after a 200' launch 80' in the air, the other 2 were spearing the opposite wall on a roller section. The lawn dart was a 7-open truck, driver wearing dcel=sore lower back, co-driver no hnr=broken L1 (prior back injuries in his lifetime. #2 was a TT, driver wearing dcel=broken L1, co-driver=no hnr, sore back. #3 was a stock full, not sure of any hnr but both occupants were broken L1 & T12. Point is, 6 drivers, 3 incidents, 2 dcels, 4 broken LOWER backs, 6 really sore backs.

That was a bad day at the races, but I guess it could have been worse. How are those guys?

The t12 seems to be the most common injury, I think happens when your shoulders slump because your harness is loose from the bump you just hit or whatever just stopped you. The t12 is just above your lumbar.

Interesting read- http://www.umm.edu/spinecenter/education/compression_fracture.htm

L5wolvesf

RDC Crypto
As per Jeff from UPR earlier post, this thread should be about indentifying the most common injuries in offroad racing and how to solve them. HnR's are a marvel of modern racing science and there is no doubt that they work and have saved lives. The basics of racing safety are lacking in offroad and should be addressed first. After you address the basics, then you can start thinking about making HnR's mandatory. The debate over mandatory HnR's will most likely become a moot point, as the insurance companies have been making Hnr's mandatory for many racing organizations.

Someone else brought this up too. Very true, I was very surprised that these were not required by SNORE. A good pair of gloves and a balaclava can be had for $50, full leather shoes can be had for $75.

Larry

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
That was a bad day at the races, but I guess it could have been worse. How are those guys?

The t12 seems to be the most common injury, I think happens when your shoulders slump because your harness is loose from the bump you just hit or whatever just stopped you. The t12 is just above your lumbar.

Interesting read- http://www.umm.edu/spinecenter/education/compression_fracture.htm

Yeah, 2 bad days at the races. I will read up on that link. All drivers are recovering and I think the last went home this week (accidents were Labor Day weekend, and mid July). My post was simply that a HnR doesn't make you invincible nor prevent back injuries it but can't hurt. Incidently, 4 of the drivers were in 3G seats and two were in newer pro4 seats.

randy s

RDC Crypto
Lighten up Francis, that was not my only post relating to HNR's in this thread and obviously was made in jest.
.....oh..i see...i usually don't take you seriously anyway so no worries ..i'm joshin'..francis..

Rough_Rider_Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.roughriderracing.com.au
Yeah, 2 bad days at the races. I will read up on that link. All drivers are recovering and I think the last went home this week (accidents were Labor Day weekend, and mid July). My post was simply that a HnR doesn't make you invincible nor prevent back injuries it but can't hurt. Incidently, 4 of the drivers were in 3G seats and two were in newer pro4 seats.

There is some controversy here in australia over the use of suspension seating. The theory is that it causes back injurys because when the seat compresses then you have a gap between your shoulders and harness and this is where compression of the spine occurs (in theory).

I too am in the market for HNR and am leaning twards the Leatt style. Your left and right head movement is not altered which is the bonus for me. I guess i look at it this way, they are designed for motorbike riders from enduro to free style and those boys have some serious body impact when they stack (more than we do in trucks) so i think that is the avenue i will be heading down.
Have a look and see what you think. http://www.leatt-brace.com/

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
RDC Crypto
There is some controversy here in australia over the use of suspension seating. The theory is that it causes back injurys because when the seat compresses then you have a gap between your shoulders and harness and this is where compression of the spine occurs (in theory).

I too am in the market for HNR and am leaning twards the Leatt style. Your left and right head movement is not altered which is the bonus for me. I guess i look at it this way, they are designed for motorbike riders from enduro to free style and those boys have some serious body impact when they stack (more than we do in trucks) so i think that is the avenue i will be heading down.
Have a look and see what you think. http://www.leatt-brace.com/

Might be a totally freak thing but.......

A friend of mine was wearing a Leatt in his sprint car when it caught fire, the hook that goes around the seat belts to hold them in place trapped him in the car. He suffered 3rd degree burns on several parts of his body while trying to get out. Keep this in mind.