Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nextgen Defender

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • HANS

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

mean_green

Reaction
Looking to order a HNR for racing. Here is the deal. I see alot of threads but they are pretty old and comparing some units no longer available. I Have used a HANS device that straps around your body but never any of these new units that use the saftey straps to hold in place.

I am torn between the IMPACT Accel unit and the Nextgen REV.

People said they loved the old Nextgen Defender which was popular that resembles the IMPACT Accel yet Nextgen replaced the defender with the rev claiming it is superior. Though the Accel/Defender seems to have more adjust-ability and features?

Can someone school me that has used both?

DoitforBMoore

Reaction
I have the Defender and love it.. I hate to say it but I've tested it a few times and it works amazing.

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
I have a defender with all hardware (team model) in great shape with case for $300 bucks. DM me if interested.

tapeworm

Reaction
The Impact accel and Leatt MRX are very similar. I have the Leatt MRX and I love that. Super easy to put on, doesn't restrict range of motion too much, and Leatt was one of the innovators in the HNR game on the moto side of things. Impact is a very reputable company and great to deal with. If possible, go to a retail store and try out the different devices and see what you like the most. All the top companies are going to offer a product that does the job just as well as the others, its a matter of finding what device you feel the most comfortable in. Everybody has a different body shape so each device fits everyone differently.

mean_green

Reaction
Thanks everyone. Killer input. Went ahead and picked up a Team Issue Defender.

notime

NTR Films media guy
Reaction
ill started using a R3 rage, when i started, 2 years a go i switched to Impact Necksgen and love it, i feel has little bit of more movement on the side compared to R3, later got advice, than its better if you dont use padding on seat belts.

11043162_1580316795540515_2949174599622708034_n.jpg

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
notime, it may be just the way you took the picture but it looks like the tethers are are tight and your chin is way off your chest. The tethers are really just supposed to slow your head, then rotate it down. It could also be the REV is too far back on your shoulders and that's making the tethers tight. When the tethers are too tight, you usually end up with a raw forehead from it pulling your helmet every time you hit a bump. HNR's set up properly shouldnt be uncomfortable or very restrictive beyond normal movements.

And since I'm picking on you, It also looks like your shoulder harness is too low where it come through your seat, It should go straight back or about 10 degrees down. When the belts pull down and not back, you rock forward and back in the seat. Also when the harness pulls you down and puts unnecessary pressures on your spine and shoulders, especially when your bouncing up and down. The REV may help spread that load over your shoulders which is why you are still comfortable without the pads(which are usually a Band-Aid for poorly set up harnesses.

Wendell #527

Reaction
AZ45 I am with you to a certain point, and I know I won't win this debate. For safety's sake though, I'm going to chime in. I have a compressed vertebrae. The 10 degrees down concept on the shoulder straps is just bad. I know everybody uses the old SCORE book as a reference and it says to have them angle downwards, but it's bad geometry. Having 10 degrees downward angle is bad enough. further angles down would be worse, but even 10 degrees puts your back into compression on every bump. You move forward, the straps push your shoulders down. It's a horrible thing started by whoever wrote that first SCORE rulebook that's been copied and pasted by everybody. You need the shoulder straps to go straight back or like I do in my cars, even a little upward. Your lap belts hold you down. The shoulder harnesses are supposed to hold you back, not down. Keep your lap belts tight and your back will actually go in tension in bumps---like actually good for your back! I don't expect everybody to believe me, though.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
AZ45 I am with you to a certain point, and I know I won't win this debate. For safety's sake though, I'm going to chime in. I have a compressed vertebrae. The 10 degrees down concept on the shoulder straps is just bad. I know everybody uses the old SCORE book as a reference and it says to have them angle downwards, but it's bad geometry. Having 10 degrees downward angle is bad enough. further angles down would be worse, but even 10 degrees puts your back into compression on every bump. You move forward, the straps push your shoulders down. It's a horrible thing started by whoever wrote that first SCORE rulebook that's been copied and pasted by everybody. You need the shoulder straps to go straight back or like I do in my cars, even a little upward. Your lap belts hold you down. The shoulder harnesses are supposed to hold you back, not down. Keep your lap belts tight and your back will actually go in tension in bumps---like actually good for your back! I don't expect everybody to believe me, though.

For info I just finished the 2016 BITD rule revisions and it will include reference on required seatbelt mounting based on SFI standards.

Best in the Desert is now a SFI associated member for 2016.

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1453432998.851153.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1453433010.250423.jpg
ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1453433021.542025.jpg

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

Wendell #527

Reaction
ND that is much better than the old SCORE I was ranting about. Yours gives much more detail. I still question why anybody would want any downward slope to the shoulder harnesses? "0 to -20 with -10 being optimum". Where does that come from? I like 0 to +10 with +10 being optimum. Why do we want our backs to compress at all?

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
ND that is much better than the old SCORE I was ranting about. Yours gives much more detail. I still question why anybody would want any downward slope to the shoulder harnesses? "0 to -20 with -10 being optimum". Where does that come from? I like 0 to +10 with +10 being optimum. Why do we want our backs to compress at all?

I am not the one to answer that but I will be happy to get an answer from those at SFI that provided the guidance on the mounting standards.

In talking with BITD Tech director Darryl, he has indicated that it will take a little time to get everyone up to speed and on board but that the SFI standards at least give a better guideline than an outdated or potentially unrecommended previous expectation.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

Robin Hood

Reaction
Since this is derailed from the HNR....

This is great on paper...but how many companies make seats that you can order the exact seat belt height you need to mount your belts correctly? What do you do when your driver/co-drivers are different heights.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
You're right on Wendall #527, the harness should hold you back and not down. Your lap belt should hold you down. Straight back or +10 or so is the best, but -10 is part of most of the recent specs.

For a HNR to be effective, a properly set up harness is critical...so we're not too far off topic.
I'd assume Mastercraft could change where there belts go through the seat on a new seat, not sure about an existing seat. If you're buying a Sparco, there are several seat size option to choose from. Its also possible to change the position of the upper harness guides on shell seats, it will no longer be FIA approved but since there's no spec anyway it wont get you thrown out of tech.
Having differ ant sized drivers create a problem, but it doesn't change the facts...just makes it more complicated.

I think it great that BITD is finally an SFI member. Being an SFI member eliminates a bunch of the "opinions" that often get confused with facts based on actual testing. Assuming all of the SFI resources for training are utilized, it should eliminate a bunch of confusion and make everyone safer.

ppumper

Reaction
Ok, if your shoulder harness is mounted +10 it would be like a trampoline and is way less effective in holding you upper torso back in the seat. Keep in mind that everything in the drivers compartment has to work together. The lap belts have to be mounted so the belts go back across your hip bones. Most of the seats have the lap belt holes straight down and not angled back. I have taken a knife and cut holes in seats for drivers to get the correct angels and as it was one put to me," its like i have been sitting on a sofa all these years" it makes a HUGE difference angeling the lap belt back and down, that alone changes the dynamics of the restraint systems. HNR's. For off road a yoke style device is not the best choice. you need to think about multiple impacts and how the device is going to react. just because it is SFI certified doesn't means it the best choice. Buying a HNR because it's less money? price out a wheel chair.

Wendell #527

Reaction
ppumper I agree geometrically it can't hold you back quite as well as 0 degrees, but +10 or -10 either way is like a trapoline, but only very slightly. When I made the switch I couldn't tell that it didn't hold be back as well. It feels like it holds me back just as well. The only difference is it doesn't try to throw my upper spine into my lower spine. I actually think my speed went up because it just doesn't hurt, you feel more comfortable, and you tend to get a heavier right foot. I did have to modify my seats in both my race cars to make this possible, but I am way glad I did it. My co-drivers who unlike me have good backs, actually like it better, too. Again I suspect it all goes back to the old SCORE rulebook. I really like the way BITD is going with this, though. They have stepped up.

Sheaco

Reaction
LMAO!! I read the title as Red Neck Restraint devices.