Headed to the Mojave area. What to see?

MNGSX

Reaction
I am headed for a job interview but will have a few hours Wed and Friday. Any suggestions? I'd like to check out what I can of the prerunner/desert racing scene. If I land the job and move out there from MN it would rule.

dezertboy69

Reaction
on friday in barstow you can check out the tech for the night race coming up. check it out... thats about all you can really get... unless you stay until saturday night.. then you can catch the night race in action at outlet center drive!!! its gonna be sickkkkk!!!!!!

Reaction
Where, particularly, are you going to in the Mohave? Upper? Lower? It's a pretty big dez. Be prepared for temps in the 110-115 range in the shade, and there won't be any shade so be careful. Drink at least one liter of water, not pop, beer, or "energy" drinks, every hour if you are of average size. If your xxxxx is yellow, you are becoming dehydrated. If you wait until your thirsty, you won't be able to catch up.

joe1369

Reaction
Where, particularly, are you going to in the Mohave? Upper? Lower? It's a pretty big dez. Be prepared for temps in the 110-115 range in the shade, and there won't be any shade so be careful. Drink at least one liter of water, not pop, beer, or "energy" drinks, every hour if you are of average size. If your xxxxx is yellow, you are becoming dehydrated. If you wait until your thirsty, you won't be able to catch up.

That is really good desert advice, was framing houses in Cal City years ago, started at 5:30 a.m., if you waited till 7:00 a.m. to take your first drink, you never caught up all day, wierd the way that body of ours works.:confused:

MNGSX

Reaction
Guys I just got home from a year spent in Iraq wrenching on helicopters! We had temps that were over 120!

I know to drink water but don't have the skinny on race events and things to see. I guess I could look up some truck builders and see if I can visit there shop.

I am on a layover at SFO right now.. Then flying to Burbank where I will get in the rental car. The areas I will mostly be in are Cal City, Edwards and Palmdale.

I am as big of a road racing nut as I am off road.. I could not check my Ducati 996 as luggage but I could watch a track day at Willow.

Scott_F

Reaction
If you are into motocross, you could check out the tracks at LACR in Palmdale, AV Fairgrounds in Lancaster and Edwards AFB.

Reaction
Guys I just got home from a year spent in Iraq wrenching on helicopters!

Thank you for your service!!! When I saw that MN location I just wanted to make sure you didn't become a statistic.

Now, we're glad to learn you didn't become one last year!

Lucho, Desertchick and Wayne Nosala, are all on rdc and live in the Cal City area and TT racer Rick Johnson's not too far away either.

Good Luck!

MNGSX

Reaction
I might check out worthington racing in palmdale. They run a Dodge Cummins that has a solid front axle. So does my 80 series landcruiser.. Might be a good shop to talk to.

sparkypyro

Reaction
Not racing but you could go over to Burt Rutans complex at the airport in Mojave and ask for a tour of the complex and their little spaceships.

Lucho

Reaction
I might check out worthington racing in palmdale. They run a Dodge Cummins that has a solid front axle. So does my 80 series landcruiser.. Might be a good shop to talk to.

Go to the MORE race, find the CHECKERS Main Pit, tell them you just came back from Iraq and Lucho sent you, and they'll take care of you! Put a name, address and telephone number in your back pocket, where they'll find it after you have been obliterated so they can drop you off after the fact. Then come and see us in Cal City, where we have heaven on earth!

Tundranation

Reaction
Guys I just got home from a year spent in Iraq wrenching on helicopters! We had temps that were over 120!

I know to drink water but don't have the skinny on race events and things to see. I guess I could look up some truck builders and see if I can visit there shop.

I am on a layover at SFO right now.. Then flying to Burbank where I will get in the rental car. The areas I will mostly be in are Cal City, Edwards and Palmdale.

I am as big of a road racing nut as I am off road.. I could not check my Ducati 996 as luggage but I could watch a track day at Willow.

Would you be interviewing with Northrop Grumman by any chance ?????? :D

diirk

Reaction
I'm in Lancaster and work at Plant 42 and wife at EAFB. If you get too bored, give me a call. Eric. 661-209-1068. Saturday we'll be heading to the MORE race, but we can always grab dinner or something.