• Forum membership has its advantages....

Header install on 94 Toyota

cleartoy

Just put on a Doug Thorley header 555Y on my 2wd 94 Toy with EFI. The hook up pipe was made almost straight. It needs to have multiple bends to get where it needs to go. Maybe it wouldnt be a problem on a 4wd, not sure.

To their credit, they had the O2 flange already installed.

Welp, off to the muffler shop tommorow. That thing is gonna be loud as hell wide open.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

cleartoy

I was thinking the same thing. I work for a muffler shop and the $200 out the door price was attractive to me, as was the instock status.

LC headers are nice, ceramic coated, and over $100 more with price and shipping.

Welp, i got it taken care of today, test pipe no cat. Sounds great!

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

vwguy

lets be realistic a header is a number of pipes put together the only difference in them is main tube size, equal length, or unequal length tubes, and the coating of them the 89.99 pacesetters are probably almost the same except for the ceramic coating

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Tyson

But, I do not believe that pace setter makes a header for the 22R on the 22RE motor. .

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

Marshall

Cleartoy,
You said you put a test pipe in? Do you have a o2 senser in front and behind the cat ( or test pipe) and if so does a test pipe screw any thing up like a check engine light? I have done test pipes in the past but never with two sensers but my 94 has two. Thanks Marshall

Ryno

Marshall-

regarding your question about the 02 sensor, you always want it before the cat. The 02 sensor is a main component in monitoring fuel for the computer. If you you put it behind the cat, you are doing a HUGE misservice to your motor. The motor will run rich, all the time, and that will click off a check engine light.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Tyson

Hey Ryno, I believe he was refering to the 22re Toyota motors, in which there is an o2 sensor in front and behind the catalytic converter. Its a screwed up way to do it I know but that is what mine and every other Toyota pick up has.

toyoter91

haa i only have one o2 and its before my cat hehe i got lucky

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

Tyson

YOu suck!! Mine are blown or bad or whatever - those things are damn expensive. You also have the V6 right? See us 4 bangers have 2 o2's why, I have no idea.

toyoter91

yeah those things are not cheep i got to replace mine too and yes i have the 3.slow v6 i also have to replace my cat cause mine is done or so says teh smog tech but some how it still passed. laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

drtdevil93

a header is a header? geez.... we should all get the downey 3.0 v6 header then. you know how they run the cross pipe like a 1/4 inch from the trans, causing the transmission to run way hot. if you have a trophy truck, ya, its not quite as complex. but when you have a near stock truck, and there are crossmembers and gizmos the header has to maneuver around, then there is a difference from one to another. and in my opinion lc has the best fitting header.

vwguy

yes i agree fitment of a header does also make a difference in it. but if its not going to work dont get it

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Skyler

I have a 94 2wd with a 4cyl. It has two o2 sensors, I took it to have it smogged a while back and it passed with flying colors. A couple of weeks ago I pulled off the exhaust to hollow out my cat and to my surprise it was already hollowed out from the previous owner. I was under the impression that the o2 sensors would know that the cat had been altered. The check engine lights have never come on in the three years I have owned the truck. I'm not complaining in the least bit, just curious as to why this would happen

DuffcoDan

the power is made in the design of the merge collector, length and size of tube. the best header for my stock 22re was the Downey or LC header. they both have long 1 3/8"-1.5" dia primary tube and nice merge collector. these bring the truck to life from 3-5000 rpm without sacraficing driveability. you must also do the intake and larger 2.25" exhaust and maybe cam to get best results. the others I've tried did little for power (Hooker, Doug Thorley, Pacesetter). the pacesetter header is very poorly made. made in Mexico...

cleartoy

Sorry guys, ive been offline for 3 days. I have an O2 sensor before and after the cat.

Check Engine light has not come on. I thought about that, but i had a friend with a 94 22re with testpipe and dual O2s, and his never came on. He had a friend with a 95 nissan, and its check light came on with a test pipe.

Now i have to read and reply to all these messages.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

cleartoy

On this truck, the cat back exhaust which i did before the header made more noticeable power than this header and test pipe install did after. Not complaining, just makin an observation. It now revs out farther and is pulling well at higher rpms. Im a rever, so it suits me well.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

DPpatrol

I could be wrong, but I believe the sensor by the cat is an exhaust temperature sensor, not an O2 sensor.

jason