Heavily debated fabrication subjects?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
OK I'm starting this thread not to discuss things that are already being discussed/debated/argued in other threads but I need some info.

I have a school assignment that requires me to discuss three major issues being discussed by practicioners or academics in my field. . .my field is off-road fabrication.

Two of the three topics that I have decided upon are:

-TIG welding: Single-pass vs. Multi-pass (weave)

-chrome-moly filler metal selection

I need to come up with a third discussion topic. . .what's something else that is always popping up, being resurrected from the dead, or heavily debated?

Maybe mild steel DOM vs. chrome-moly?

Thanks!

racer56

Reaction
Race cars are TIG welded.

MIG welding is for taxi cabs and boat trailers.

TUBETECK

Reaction
Your gonna get the encyclopedia when it comes to answering the first question.
It all depends on that particular weld staring you in the face. Sometimes you can single pass, sometimes you can weave on a single pass, sometimes you need to do mutiple passes. Whats important is the fact that the weld is perfect everytime. No undercut,porosity,cold lap,lack of penetration,ect,ect,ect.
If your building a stock class race car, such as class 11, class 5-1600, class 7s, there are some welds that haved to be migged just for the simple fact that when the body or cab go back on the chassis you can now put in those pieces that go through the stock sheet metal and most of the time they are in the worst possible position. Its much easier to mig those joints sometimes than trying to get both hands and arms and a filler rod in there to do it. Plus if you not lucky enough to have a remote control for your tig machine you gotta have someone run the pedal. Dont get me wrong I tig everything on my cars but there are those half dozen or so welds that have to migged.

Wild bill

Reaction
Here's your third question. Is it really necessary to pre-heat and post-heat anneal 4130? A side question would be...... if you plan on 2 passes, then is it necessary to pre-heat?

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
moly filler rod ,

most guys seem to use er70-s2 , but in asking similar ??,s on some drag race related sites er80d2-s2 seems to be a very popular rod for moly , i bought some very hard to find locally and was a special order , tried it out just doing some passes and such and the welds look pretty cool in color when compared to er70.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/index?page=story142.html

here,s a article supporting the use of er80 on a topfuel chassis

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks for the suggestions guys. . .I think I'm gonna go with the pre-heat/post-heat for the third issue.

Tubeteck. . .you hit the nail on the head, sometimes one method is technically correct and sometimes another method is technically correct. Luckily, I don't actually have to answer the question. . .this is only a one page assignment. I have to list three organizations that are important to my industry (I'm choosing SCORE, AWS, and ORBA), three technical journals read by those in the industry (chose Practical Welding, AWS Welding Journal, and Off Road Advertiser. . .I wanted to use Dirt Sports, but I don't think it would meet her intent), three discussion forums (Race-Dezert, DezertRangers, and DesertRides), one national meeting/symposium (Pomona Off-Road Expo), and finally three discussion topics which I only need to write a single paragraph on each. . .a single paragraph isn't enough to really get into the meat and potatoes of the subject , merely introduce the subject and the two (or more) opposing views.

Thanks again for the suggestions and the links!

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
DOM VS MOLY i,m all ears on this subject , SFI/NHRA mandate anything faster then 7.50 has to be moly regardless of the weight

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Hey guys thanks for the great suggestions!!! I really like the A-arms vs. beams. . .I'm gonna use that for sure, don't know if I gonna use it in place of the pre/post heat treatment vs. none or the filler metal. . .probably gonna end up going for single pass vs. multi-pass weave, A-arms vs. beams, and DOM vs. chrome-moly; with that selection of subjects I'm not just concentrating on welding, but am touching on a variety of subjects within desert racing fabrication.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!

ChromolyKid

Reaction
*cough* A-arms FTW *cough*

Haha I'm interested in your topics as well because I'll be going to Cal Poly Pomona soon for mechanical engineering and might have to do a similar assignment.

Good luck.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
*cough* A-arms FTW *cough*

Haha I'm interested in your topics as well because I'll be going to Cal Poly Pomona soon for mechanical engineering and might have to do a similar assignment.

Good luck.

Make sure that you get involved with their SAE Baja team ASAP. . .as an underclassmen I don't know how involved you can be right off the bat, but any involvement is better than no involvement and the earlier you get involved in the program the earlier you can play a major role in the program.

I was the Project Manager for my school's team last year (our first year) and I'm the Project Manager again this year. . .it's great fun and a really good excuse to spend other peoples' money doing what you love!!! Good practice for shop work later on!

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I tried the search tool to see if there were already some pre-existing threads on the "DOM vs. chrome-moly" and "A-arms vs. I-beams" subject and the search said no matches. . .which I dont' really buy.

Anybody have any links to these subjects on this forum?

Thanks!

Samco Fab

Reaction
The Truggy runs A Arms.

Discussion done, no other debate needed.

The Truggy is made from 4130.

Done, next please.

I read that Mike Smith who built the Truggy uses 70S2 to weld the Truggy.

I think we pretty much wrapped this thread up, just click the rep points buttton below to say thanks;), and of course say thanks to the Truggy

Last edited:

ChromolyKid

Reaction
Make sure that you get involved with their SAE Baja team ASAP. . .as an underclassmen I don't know how involved you can be right off the bat, but any involvement is better than no involvement and the earlier you get involved in the program the earlier you can play a major role in the program.

I was the Project Manager for my school's team last year (our first year) and I'm the Project Manager again this year. . .it's great fun and a really good excuse to spend other peoples' money doing what you love!!! Good practice for shop work later on!

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely remember that.

The Truggy runs A Arms.

Discussion done, no other debate needed.

Haha agreed!

Apparently somebody on here loves beams though (negative rep on my first post) haha