Heavy Duty Beam

camp69

Reaction
Building a heavy duty beam for the baja have seen some beams that got different diameter tube on the bottom thicker wall. If Im looking at this right i need to make bottom tube 2 1/2" .25 wall top tube 2" .125 wall is this right or any better ideas?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
What kinda beam are you talking about. . .

Ford I-beam or Ford TTB. . .this is for me to know what you are talking about. . .I don't have the experience to answer your question for you. . .but I would like to know for myself as well. . .

Zac Reish

Reaction
This is for a buggy front beam.

And that is correct about the dimensions. Some racers even go 2.5 .25 wall on top and bottom.

camp69

Reaction
Like one of the vw link pin/king pin beams. If I go this route do I have to get special beam bushings if so who sells them?

_deleted_

doesnt not
Reaction
Like one of the vw link pin/king pin beams. If I go this route do I have to get special beam bushings if so who sells them?

what are you building?? exactly?? what kinda engine and trans, torsion bars? or coilovers?? what are you plans??

camp69

Reaction
Baja bug full tube chassis 4x5 rear trailing arms 18-20 travel. Built 091 trans 200-220 hp subaru.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Kartek or mckenzies will have the bushings. just tell them your beam ID, and trailing arm OD.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Reaction
Kar Tek also makes a prefabbed beam (1.75") in custom lengths for pretty cheap and then you can just weld it into your chasis. Saves you a lot of work. This is the direction I am going on my Class-5 Unlimited Baja Bug race car. I am also selling my old 1.5" beam foddrill arms, 4" x 4" over-size, 5/8" Link-pins if you are looking for something for a prerunner rather than a race setup. Same with the old Chromoly 10" over beam.

Link below:

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Suspension/FrontBeams.html

J.JOHNSON

Reaction
2" X .120 TOP TUBE AND 2.25" X .120 LOWER OR 2.5" X .250" LOWER. I can build you a beam if you are interested. PM

Attachments

kx125str99

Reaction
Kar Tek also makes a prefabbed beam (1.75") in custom lengths for pretty cheap and then you can just weld it into your chasis. Saves you a lot of work. This is the direction I am going on my Class-5 Unlimited Baja Bug race car. I am also selling my old 1.5" beam foddrill arms, 4" x 4" over-size, 5/8" Link-pins if you are looking for something for a prerunner rather than a race setup. Same with the old Chromoly 10" over beam.

Link below:

http://www.kartek.com/Product/Suspension/FrontBeams.html
do you have any pics of the beam and arm set up you are selling?

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Don't forget to think about which arms will have the shock mounts, uppers or lowers.

5racer

Reaction
go big what ever you do ,if you bend one they are not fun to re-place.