Heims VS Tie Rod Ends

Ryno

Reaction
Time for me to replace tie rod ends on my chevy. I have a centerlink, so I have inner and outer rods to replace for each side. Are Heims as strong/ stronger? Then, even being grade 8, will a 3/8 or 7/16 bolt hold up to double shear being on a mainly street truck? I do take it in the dirt where I ride, but nowhere near beating it. Thanks for the .02

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

orvacian

Reaction
The heims are stronger but they will wear much faster. You may have to change them every year on a daily driven truck. I would go with a bigger rod end if you want more strength.

ntsqd

Reaction
I'd say go with tie rod ends for a non race or chase specific truck. Instead of replacing them every year, you can every now & then just give them a squirt of grease to flush out the junk. The MTBF of a tie rod end in normal or near normal service is far greater than a spherical bearing of any sort.
If strength is an issue, there are bigger tie rod ends out there. The taper reams are available from places like AFCO and Port City for about $120. Snap-On also sells a less expensive taper repair reamer ($40-50) that works for making a few holes.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages