Hella 4K wiring question

OR2BAJA

Reaction
I have three hella wired through one hella wiring kit. I am wanting to upgrade to the 130w bulbs and I am not sure the wiring harness can handle it. I am wanting to retain only one switch and was wondering if you guys could give some recommendations! Thanks as always!

Co-Dog

Reaction
Wattage / Voltage = Amps --------so----------130w / 12v = 10.8 amps

Ohms Law is not an exact science when it comes to lights. There are some variables involved, but more than likely, each light will draw between 10 to 13 amps.

Need more information. How many lights? What is the existing wire size from the relay to the lights? What is the current rating of the relay you are using now?

You can use one switch, but if you are running more than 2 lights you will probably need more relays or a multiple pole relay.

OR2BAJA

Reaction
I do not know what size the wire is. I have the hella wiring kit running the 3 Hella 4k's 100w lights running off the harness!

Last edited:

loufish

Reaction
I'm running 3 lights right now with 100w Halogens, but was also thinking about upgrading to 130w bulbs. Since i had this in mind at the time of wiring, I ran the 2 outer lights (driving beam)off one relay, and the center light (pencil beam)has it's own relay.

I run the common 30 amp relays and keeping no more then 2 lights on one makes sure neither relay is overloaded...I also run just one switch...easy to do...

OR2BAJA

Reaction
Ok cool! I am thinking that I am gonna get it re wired! So two relays but my single switch is good to go? Thanks lou!

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Ok cool! I am thinking that I am gonna get it re wired! So two relays but my single switch is good to go? Thanks lou!

I am unfamiliar with the Hella "pre-fabbed" harness as it has always been cheaper to wire it without one. Depending on wire size, relay capacity, etc... it would be difficult to say one way or the other... That being said, if running a relayed cct and (3) 130watt halogens... I personally would opt not to run everything through one standard 30amp cube relay.

You could have a single switch "activate" many lights if you are using the switch to simply switch the coil within the relay. However, also consider if this is a route you want to go as it could knock out all lighting as a result of an electrical "issue". One benefit of separating ccts is that you can maintain lighting ccts that are not involved. It would be possible to have a "single" cct "activate" your relays then run your lighting on different ccts... which sounds like the path your thinking.

Here is how I typically wire my lighting when I am using a relay. The only exception to the diagram is I reverse the wires on 87 and 30... by reversing them, the cct will not be "live" when the switch is in the off position (87A) if using the generic 5 terminal relay. To use a single switch for three lights, I would just "bridge" the wire on the 85 terminal of the relays and omit the second switch.

Hope that helps...

OR2BAJA

Reaction
I am unfamiliar with the Hella "pre-fabbed" harness as it has always been cheaper to wire it without one. Depending on wire size, relay capacity, etc... it would be difficult to say one way or the other... That being said, if running a relayed cct and (3) 130watt halogens... I personally would opt not to run everything through one standard 30amp cube relay.

You could have a single switch "activate" many lights if you are using the switch to simply switch the coil within the relay. However, also consider if this is a route you want to go as it could knock out all lighting as a result of an electrical "issue". One benefit of separating ccts is that you can maintain lighting ccts that are not involved. It would be possible to have a "single" cct "activate" your relays then run your lighting on different ccts... which sounds like the path your thinking.

Here is how I typically wire my lighting when I am using a relay. The only exception to the diagram is I reverse the wires on 87 and 30... by reversing them, the cct will not be "live" when the switch is in the off position (87A) if using the generic 5 terminal relay. To use a single switch for three lights, I would just "bridge" the wire on the 85 terminal of the relays and omit the second switch.

Hope that helps...

Bad **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME**! Thanks for that!

DesertGuy1

Reaction
67Cummins, also as another option, you could simply convert your halogens to HID... if you are looking for more lighting. After I did a conversion, the halogens just no longer compared. I was surprised at the quality of the conversion (H1) kits that were available. After hearing many stories about their inferior quality I bought a few "extra" kits, just in case...... I never needed to replace a kit, ended up using them to convert other lights.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47468

loufish

Reaction
I personally would opt not to run everything through one standard 30amp cube relay.

...uh that's what I said...I run 2 relays for my 3 lights...:)

This also gives me some redundancy, each relay has it's own fuse so if one relay or fuse goes, I still have at least one light still going...

If I was wiring up a race car and the lights were mounted up front where there's a good chance at least one would get hit by something(...or somebody..;)) I'd wire up each light to it's own fuse to insure the most amount of lights after a "bump"...