Hello, my name Paul and I’d like to volunteer with a team.....

Trek_Moto

RDC Crypto
I love all things off road and would really like to get involved with racing. I lent a hand to a team in MORE years ago and I miss it. If anyone needs help I’d be glad to do what I can to lend a hand. I live in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and I’m available most weekend and other week day evenings.

On a side note, I’ve been trying to make the Baja 1000 forever and plan on taking the time off to finally go this year.

GasserGas300

RDC Crypto
Hey Paul, did you ever figure out a team to volunteer for? I'm thinking the same thing, would love to volunteer on a pit or chase crew for the 1,000, but don't see anyplace where you can find teams needing people.

Big Whitey

RDC Crypto
We always can use people. Problem is we need total reliability. That is a hard thing. The ptp B1k is not a easy race to chase/help being a new guy to a team. For most of us you will not get paid or even maybe compensated for your fuel/ food/ hotel fees. If that works then fantastic, PM me, if you are just interested in pitting then call Baja pits, they may be willing to pay your fuel and place you at a pit, I’m not speaking for them, just a suggestion.

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Hey Paul, did you ever figure out a team to volunteer for? I'm thinking the same thing, would love to volunteer on a pit or chase crew for the 1,000, but don't see anyplace where you can find teams needing people.
This usually works in the reverse of how you're thinking it does.

Normally a guy who wants to "carry tires around for rich people" posts up and says what he's good at/experience and what his availability/location is. If they have their own equipment etc. (Everything ya bring to the table.)

Teams see that and usually privately message them.

I assure you there are tons of people who have thrown themselves out there this way on this forum and have been swooped up because of it.

Good luck to you.

Trek_Moto

RDC Crypto

Hey there, GasserGas300. I'm not hooked up with anyone yet but I was just contacted by a team that may need some help.

I'm new to this, having only helped out a couple times with a friends MORE team more than a decade ago, so not privy to how things work. But I'm reliable, able to fend for myself, willing to do whatever is asked, and not looking to be compensated (I'm 47 years old and have a job, jajaja). I'm just fascinated by the sport and want to partake before I'm too old!

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Trick is it’s hard to rely on someone you don’t know for a B1K.

we are trying to put our crew together for the B1K and it’s really difficult. we will be using Baja pits but still need 3 chase trucks with crews.

I don’t know if I would give a stranger the keys to one of my chase trucks and say hey we will see you at RM800.

So we are trying to find people we know or at least someone that has been on a team we know and we have been told they are reliable and trust worthy.

Maybe try to help someone on a smaller race to get to know them. We will be racing Laughlin and if anyone is interested in racing the B1K with us this year come say hi.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
RDC Crypto
Way to much to worry about with a NOOB as a leader. In the past we have combined forces with other teams but with a good leader noobs usually work out fine. (It would suck to get halfway down the peninsula to find out some dude is a jerkoff though. some level of vetting is probably necessary)

I think half the reason my team keeps me around is because I know enough people well enough to roll into a pit area and be able to find friends from other squads who can help us splash some gas or hold a fire extinguisher or whatever if were shorthanded.

FWIW I got hooked up with a cool team forever ago because of this forum. It would be hard to be more of a NOOB than me back then. I've stuck with the same core group of dudes for like a decade and it has served me/us well. Moved from vehicle to vehicle and ran in a bunch of classes in Baja and the US and we've won a lot of cool races together. These have been some of the best memories of my life. And, if were being honest, I would credit my successes to be more because of good luck than talent.

Last edited:

Trek_Moto

RDC Crypto
Do you have a sentri pass?

No sir, I do not.

And to everyone, I really appreciate the insight. I definitely would not hand the keys for anything over to someone I didn’t know, jajaja. And to be clear, I‘m headed to Baja for the 1000 this year as more of a bucket list item, just to spectate and for the adventure. I assumed teams would prefer to get to know someone a bit before putting them to work in such a big race!

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
No sir, I do not.

And to everyone, I really appreciate the insight. I definitely would not hand the keys for anything over to someone I didn’t know, jajaja. And to be clear, I‘m headed to Baja for the 1000 this year as more of a bucket list item, just to spectate and for the adventure. I assumed teams would prefer to get to know someone a bit before putting them to work in such a big race!
Good for you. What town do you live in?

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Trick is it’s hard to rely on someone you don’t know for a B1K.

we are trying to put our crew together for the B1K and it’s really difficult. we will be using Baja pits but still need 3 chase trucks with crews.

I don’t know if I would give a stranger the keys to one of my chase trucks and say hey we will see you at RM800.

So we are trying to find people we know or at least someone that has been on a team we know and we have been told they are reliable and trust worthy.

Maybe try to help someone on a smaller race to get to know them. We will be racing Laughlin and if anyone is interested in racing the B1K with us this year come say hi.

Mike
One of these years I really want to do this. Tough with my schedule and budget (and, you know, living thousands of miles away) but at some point I'll have to figure this out.

Like I was eying your team's season plan back when November was some distance away.

People who discuss suggestions (and reservations and such) aren't just writing to the OP, others of us read and dream, too.

bajafox

Accepted
RDC Crypto
No sir, I do not.

I'd highly recommend it if you plan on doing more races in Baja, but if it's just a one time bucket list maybe not worth the effort.

I might be heading down solo for the 1000 since my wife won't go down during the pandemic and just meet my team there but it's been hard to find someone to take with me who has a sentri pass since she stopped going after our son was born

Trek_Moto

RDC Crypto
I'd highly recommend it if you plan on doing more races in Baja, but if it's just a one time bucket list maybe not worth the effort.

I might be heading down solo for the 1000 since my wife won't go down during the pandemic and just meet my team there but it's been hard to find someone to take with me who has a sentri pass since she stopped going after our son was born

I’ll look into that. It’s been a long time since I crossed the border via car. In the 80s and 90s I spent many Memorial Day weekends in San Felipe, but I haven’t been in over 20 years now.

I may be rolling solo to the 1000 myself. I invited my buddy but his work schedule will dictate if he can go or not, and he won’t know until closer to race day. I booked a room months ago and I’m going either way.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
One of these years I really want to do this. Tough with my schedule and budget (and, you know, living thousands of miles away) but at some point I'll have to figure this out.

Like I was eying your team's season plan back when November was some distance away.

People who discuss suggestions (and reservations and such) aren't just writing to the OP, others of us read and dream, too.

you need to make it happen. You want to do it you have to just do it. I will help. DM me your cell.

Mike

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
RDC Crypto
Somebody needs to repost that Baja safety warning thing I see every year just before the race telling about BE SAFE down there I don't have time to dig around on here for it but it gets right to the point you can die in an instant it happens every year to the "other guy"

All I can say is use your head, don't drive at night, no mind altering ANYTHING, lots of water, turn off your DAMMED harbor freight LED light bar for oncoming traffic,........this could go on & on

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Hard to not drive at night on a full pull 1000 if you're keeping up with most vehicles, given known routes and approx travel times your gonna have to do some night driving. Doing it right and safely is the real battle.

GasserGas300

RDC Crypto
Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm a complete noob at this and just trying to figure out if there are any places I might fit.

I'm in my 40's, own a consulting business that affords me a good deal of free time and have started knocking bucket list items off. I'm finishing off one of them as a professional whale boat tour captain this summer in Oregon. At some point, I want to experience the B1K. Not sure I'd ever compete in it, but thought volunteering to be part of a team would be a good way to experience it.

I've served 7 years in the Coast Guard, driven tow trucks, worked construction, had a career in the corporate world, travelled the world, raced cars for fun, off-roaded 4x4's, raced sailboats, and ridden motorcycles and dirt bikes for decades.

All of that gives me exactly 0 experience with the B1k. But it hopefully begins to suggest I'm a little competent with tools/mechanical work, am a team player, can navigate, and can deal with difficult situations on the road with a calm head, a sense of humor and am reliable. Happy to provide references if it looks like someone might want some help.

I'm currently in Oregon, but can be down anywhere in the Southwest in mid October, as I tend to spend my winters down there in my toyhauler riding dirt bikes anyway.