Helmet fresh air...no more filter

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
S&B Filters has come out with a game changer. The 30 year old tech Parker Pumper style system appears to have a very worthy, new challenger. More CFM and never reduced air flow due to the filter always getting plugged.
Can't wait to test one.

Helmet Particle Separator

Attachments

Robert Encinas

Reaction
hmmm....interesting. I somewhat trust filters, how long would your engine breath without a filter ?

Wendell #527

Reaction
I love the idea, gonna try it. Filters suck. Heck you could run a filter after this Separator if you were worried about it and it would probably never get dirty. I say run it with this instead of a filter and worst case scenario is you breathe a little dust and have to finish the race with your face shield open. We’ve all had to do that before.

jcorsico

Reaction
S&B Filters has come out with a game changer. The 30 year old tech Parker Pumper style system appears to have a very worthy, new challenger. More CFM and never reduced air flow due to the filter always getting plugged.
Can't wait to test one.

Helmet Particle Separator
That's just a Dyson vacuum. And the Dyson vacuum was nothing more than a cyclone style industrial dust separator. That technology has been around for 50+ years. I assume there is a reason why Caterpillar, Ford, Dodge, Cummins, etc., don't use it on their motors. That said, it does work, and may be good enough for a helmet. Interesting idea.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
That's just a Dyson vacuum. And the Dyson vacuum was nothing more than a cyclone style industrial dust separator. That technology has been around for 50+ years. I assume there is a reason why Caterpillar, Ford, Dodge, Cummins, etc., don't use it on their motors. That said, it does work, and may be good enough for a helmet. Interesting idea.
It is helicopter technology. The helmet fresh air system removes 99.46% of all dust before getting to the inside of your helmet and will NEVER plug like a paper and fabric filters will (and in my case, does every race). Plus the S&B system provides 54 CFM of air which is more than any other system.

S&B also makes a particle separator system for UTV engine intakes, but it is used as a pre-filter to be used in conjunction with either a stock or aftermarket air filter. The engine pre-filter particle system removes approximately 95% of dirt before it reaches the engine air filter and makes an air filter to last seemingly forever and eliminates power loss and potential engine damage that can be caused by a plugged air filter. IMO...great new ideas applied to our sport.

Wendell #527

Reaction
I agree it’s not a new concept but it would work at least to some degree. I work in the oil business and we spin fluid all the time to separate the solids from the fluid. Heavier molecules (sand) move to the outside and lighter molecules (clean fluid/air) are left on the inside.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I don't think I ever stated that it was new technology, just a new idea applied to our sport. The helicopter tech came from the Gulf war and obviously that was a while back. The helicopter guys likely just miniaturized and drastically sped up (greater efficiency) what was already being done in tractor intakes, but then again when was the last time there was a truly 'new idea.' Haha. Anyway...I thought I would share as I thought it was a cool idea. I can't wait to get one and try it as I hate my current fresh air system.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Yep. I didn’t mean anything negative against you. I guess we should stop talking about it and get one and try it!

johndjmix

Reaction
We (wild power sports) have been an S&B dealer for years. Their particle separators work amazing, and they really take pride in their products. I can’t wait to have these in stock to test!

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

retroblazer

Reaction
If you’re concerned about dust going through your filter, a simple filter wrap of 3M Filtrete will do the trick.

jcorsico

Reaction
This is the same thing Donaldson uses on their heavy equipment filters.
Yep. The Donaldson systems I have seen are a cyclone separator followed by a traditional filter. The separator captures the large majority of the dirt before it hits the filter. Extends the life of the filter. My John Deere tractor has a simplistic version of this.

Hog Wild

Reaction
S&B also makes a particle separator system for UTV engine intakes, but it is used as a pre-filter to be used in conjunction with either a stock or aftermarket air filter.
Robby Gordon probably has one of these and has significantly boosted the spin motor speed. Not sure how ASO will react to this new redneck turbo concept?

gawdodirt

Reaction
A little help here. Can't find the price anywhere. Also, I guess it depends on where you place the intake of your system. Obviously, if it's a direct path from dust, then it's going to get dirty faster. Simple things often make a difference.
Thanks in advance.

jcorsico

Reaction
What if you put a filter between this and the helmet? It would never get clogged and you'd be assured to get incredibly "clean air"
Yes, that would be the traditional way of doing it, like Donaldson. Significantly extends the life of the filter.

johndjmix

Reaction
I’ll have one on our truck (Trophylite 6013) at Parker ... will let everyone know how it goes.