Helmet Lights for in car use

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Only problem with using a red light is that you can't see anything painted, written, or stickered in red color. Otherwise, great for keeping your night vision in dark environments. For what it is worth, Green also works but same issue, can't see anything green with a green light. If something is super important and needs to be found in the dark for emergencies, etc... put a piece of white reflective tape on it and it will pop under any color light when shined on it, even white.

ppumper

RDC Crypto
Whatever you use, remember what can happen if it gets hung up on something during a crash. Good velcro is a good thing.

MARXICO

RDC Crypto
When I was a kid we put a brake light under the seat of our street racers with a dimmer to get a cockpit or the Ferrari effect a long time trick .Buy using the Velcro to store the camera until needed moment it allows more than one person to use the light instead of it being dedicated to one helmet , in the 1000 a lot happens and unexpectedly the night time guy may not be in the car when expected the Velcro method makes it universal so any one with Velcro can use it .The head lamps they make now have additional red light and strobe features ….You can store more than one as a spare may come in handy if you need the strobe feature to warn upcoming vehicles that you are broke down doing repairs ahead … more effective than triangles waiting to catch there headlights as they approach

coryanderson

RDC Crypto
Website
play-well.org
Does anyone have any new or unique ideas regarding a helmet light? I will be navigating the night section of the 1000 this year and trying to think through possible needs. The velcro idea seems to be the best idea but curious if anyone has thought of anything new.

I really like the red light idea, especially one facing backwards to help incoming cars see me. Does anyone permanently mount lights to their helmet or restraint device for this purpose? If so, which light(s) do you recommend?

Thanks!

TrophyBurro

RDC Crypto
The light is not actually red its the brand name .
link here is updated

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
Wow, old thread revival. This is what I ended up using, removed the metal clip, used some adhesive backed velco. It stayed attached just fine, worked well when it was used. I mounted it just behind the upper edge of the visor, far enough away from the edge, so the visor would go up and down unobstructed.

W_Lacher

RDC Crypto
I always used the Petzl with the flip down red lens wrapped around my helmet. Red doesnt dialte the pupils so you can run it all night and see the dash and switches etc. If you have to work on the car, the red lens flips down for white. It lasts 6-8 hours fine.

class5cole

RDC Crypto
Yup, the GoPro mount works great. I use a bicycle light i found at target that has both a front facing light and a rear facing red light that flashes I like this cause maybe it gives a bit more chance of being seen in the dark if you are outside the race car.
Used it for a Glen Helen night race. Actually helped a ton