Helmet lights

J Burleson

Reaction
im in the codog seat in a class 10 for the second half of the 500. Don't know yet what expected finish times should be but most definitely gonna finish in the dark. Wondering what others use for lighting on a tire change or... (other than vehicle mounted lights)? I was think a cheap led something Velcroed to my helmet
So what do you use?

J Burleson

Reaction
I guess if I'm doing my job and Ramsey keeps it out of the weeds, it shouldn't be a problem! Lol. But want to be prepared!

morgan HSD

Reaction
I use a hardhat light with Velcro and some strong tape to hold it to the front of my helmet. Works good.

MARXICO

Reaction
Buy a Head lamp like the tweekers ware, remove the straps and Velcro it to your chin so you can open your face shield. Put a piece of Velcro in the car so you can store it while racing, it doesn’t have to live on your helmet.

Speedster

Reaction
Headlamp as stated above... make sure it has a red light option so as not to take away your driver's night vision. Remove strap and use some Right Stuff to glue it to the chin of your helmet... it will always be there for you, in and out of the racecar.

R_LLEWELLYN

Reaction
2016-05-28 21.52.14.jpg
I've used this set up a few years now and love it. Drilled 4 holes in a go pro mount. I use a coast led light from home Depot that also has the red led for the cockpit.

Baja Tracking

Reaction
I saw this on kickstarter, I ordered one to put on my helmet but I don't think it'll get to me in time. Great idea though, I'm excited to give it a go.
180led.jpg
one80.jpg

swu chase1

Reaction
I guess if I'm doing my job and Ramsey keeps it out of the weeds, it shouldn't be a problem! Lol. But want to be prepared!
You should watch out for big rocks and concrete post as well, since you have been know to attack them. LOL good luck be safe stop by for a beer with the guys

J Burleson

Reaction
Yea, we all have our own account of that little "incident". Lol. We are staying at San Nicholas so will definitely see you(assume you guys are staying there) Your ph# still the same? Been meaning to get in touch for quite awhile

steveG

Reaction
I used my Zebralight in the 1000 last year. No used the regular head strap by opening up as big as it would go, wrapped it around the bottom of the helmet so the light was below the visor, just in front of my mouth. I used duct tape to keep it in place. Our entire section was after dark and it worked great, providing just enough light to read the gauges but jot enough to bother the driver.

ImageUploadedByrace-deZert1464747903.365061.jpg

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

J Burleson

Reaction
I ended up using the same setup as r Llewelyn. The light is just white forward facing but has a flashing red rear facing light that comes on with it.
Thanks for the responses!

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
I made a prototype light that ran off 3 LED bulbs and a pair of AA batteries. I knew they would last the full race, but I didn't realize they would last for another 2 months after the race....

Try to get red lights if you can (I am a Pilot, and red is the flavor of choice to keep your night vision). Look at a pilot supply store (sporty's pilot shop, aircraft spruce etc...) and they will have lights with red, or white options.

You don't want a bunch of light to kill your night vision, but just enough to see switches / gauges etc.. These were bright enough once your eyes adjusted at night to change a tire with. Like $15 in materials and an hour of my time

helmetlight.jpg

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I personally like the Pelican 2720 Headlight. Or maybe just an excuse to get more Pelican gear. #FanBoy

<LINK>

pelican-brightest-led-camping-headlamp-l.jpg