Helmet lights

bajabit

Reaction
Here's a question for you night racer's out there- where do you place you're helmet lights? I was doing some testing last Saturday out in Johnson valley and couldn't find a light position I liked. With all the dust and campfire smoke it looked like I was scuba diving at night. The lights would reflect off of the dust about 12 inches from my face. I am using the Trail-tek dual HID's.

J Caster

Honda TRX700XX Pilot
Reaction
I run duel HID helmet lights but only with other lights. If I get into dusty areas I will turn the helmet lights off so I'm not blinded by the reflection in the dust. As soon as it is clear I have them back on because it is really nice to have light any direction you look.

kaw500

Reaction
I have found that a single helmet light works for me along with with the HID headlight I don't really get that bad reflection in the dust using just the single. Still plenty of light for me even at high speed.

motoman29

Reaction
HID's are not so good in the dust. I have duals, but almost never run them, usually just the single, and turn it off when it is super dusty.

btw, I run it on my left chin bar.

RacerX1

Reaction
I wear an HID helmet light for back-up but I don't always have it on. It mounts on my helmet between the ear and mouthpiece. You actually have to point it up much higher than you think because when you're racing/riding, your head is always in a straight or down position. And yes, too much light can actually be a hinderence.

D Bergstrom

Reaction
I wear an HID helmet light for back-up but I don't always have it on.

Me to. I pretty much have it in case my main lights go out, or I have to work on the quad. It is mounted to the chin bar on my helmet. (I run a single.) My dual HID's on the quad put out plenty of light, and when I do have it on, it lights up alot of the handlebar/back of light area, kind of annoying. The only time I use it while riding is when I am in real technical stuff and find my self looking down at the front tires to place them somewhere.

Doug

bajabit

Reaction
Thanks for the info. I'm riding the final leg of the 500 this year and want to be prepared. If things go as well as last year I wont need the lights but I want to plan for the worst. I'm running a Baja Designs 8" halogen on a CRF450X

vetracer

Reaction
Do the helmet light have there own battery or do they plug into the motorcyle battery?
I know you have to rewind the stator to run HID's but if the helmet lights run off the bike battery, is there still enough power from the stator to run the lights and the tracking unit?:confused:

troyharper

DA Meatball
Reaction
Do the helmet light have there own battery or do they plug into the motorcyle battery?
I know you have to rewind the stator to run HID's but if the helmet lights run off the bike battery, is there still enough power from the stator to run the lights and the tracking unit?:confused:

the "niterider" system comes with ni cads.

bajabit

Reaction

The kit came with both a battery pack and a harness to run off of the bikes battery. I have the Baja Designs rewound stator putting out 150w's so running the 8" lamp and rally tracker was not a problem last year. I modified the harnes for the helmet lights to plug into the sub harness I made for the battery charger, that limits the amount of wiring under the seat. The HID's require less voltage than a halogen lamp too.