Helmet Shield Restoration

ErikIrvine

Reaction
I've gotten in the habit of changing my helmet shield before every race because it gets "fogged" from wiping off the mud and dust in the last race. Does anybody use a cleaning/polishing kit they recommend to restore? I feel like a better investment would be at the bar buying a round for the crew instead of half a dozen shields a year. Thanks,
MINT400 - ZAC'S WORST NIGHTMARE  IS COMING.jpg

Last edited:

tapeworm

Reaction
In the aircraft industry we use some stuff called Plexus, which is a cleaner wax specifically designed for plastic surfaces like a helmet lens. It won’t scratch and helps seal and protect the plastic from dirt, scratches, and discoloration. It can be found for anywhere between $15-$20 a can. You just spray it on and wipe it off with a microfiber towel.

Another product you could try is done lens cleaner called “smitty’s.” I’ve only ever been able to find it at the fairs, but one drop is enough to clean and protect a pair of sunglasses. I feel as though it works a little better than the plexus, but much harder to find in person. A google search may bring it up.

Last edited:

Randy Ross

Reaction
Rainx inside and out no fogging and heavy dose on outside makes it somewhat scratch proof

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
You need to come see me at the mint. We (SDHQ) are selling a new product that you are all going to want.

It is a pre cut clear laminate you put on the inside and outside of your visor. It is amazing. You can literally take a wire brush to your brand new visor and it will be fine. (Yes I just said that.) It is self healing, hydrophobic and anti static. It is new to market and I have been selling it like crazy. warm water, a little sunshine or even just the heat of your hand takes even the finest scratches away. We premiered it at King of the Hammers. The response was so overwhelming it was difficult to keep up with everyone.

I am one of the guys you all complain to when you have to buy a new visor every time you race. I am not exaggerating when I say this is a game changer. Come see me at the Mint and I will personally put a wire brush in your hand and let you try (and fail at) destroying a new $70.00 visor. Be ready to be impressed. Amazed actually.

I feel like a better investment would be at the bar buying a round for the crew instead of half a dozen shields a year.
I very much hope that you (and everyone else whose life I change by putting this in your hands) includes me in the above mentioned "round for the crew".

here is a short video of this stuff.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I tried to scratch the visor at KOH and like Dan said that stuff is amazing. I have no doubt that stuff will save a visor for multiple races even after wiping mud and dirt off your visor with your glove for hours. That stuff is a game changer.

y2kbaja

Reaction
I need this for my headlights.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I need this for my headlights.
We also have it for the popular Baja Designs pods. Helps with dust sticking and pitting/scratches. Development for other brands of lights is already in the works.

They also make it for goggles. you can wrap your helmet with it. hes tested it on sunglasses and it works too. I am excited to see my friend make this grow into all kinds of markets.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Dang. Literally when you were describing it I was thinking haha yeah right. Sounds amazing Dan

Mrs. Landers come on!!

swiftracing5

Reaction
I would vote for Dan2H as president. Of the world.

I am sold on that! Will you be selling them on Saturday morning too or packed up by then?

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Dang. Literally when you were describing it I was thinking haha yeah right. Sounds amazing Dan
I didnt believe it was gonna work either and I get kinda snooty about what goes in the vendor trailer. I was calling it snake oil until i tested it myself. This is the first time in a while I have been this excited about anew product.
I would vote for Dan2H as president. Of the world.

I am sold on that! Will you be selling them on Saturday morning too or packed up by then?
President of the World has a nice ring to it but I was recently promoted here at SDHQ and my new title of "Emperor of draining the blackwater tank" is pretty cool so for now I'll stick to that. ;)
I have Saturday off, kinda. Our team races on Sunday and Saturday we have a photo shoot to do and some pit boxes to send out but I am mostly freed up. The trailer will be at whisky Petes or over by the outlet mall after I move off freemont st. on Friday night. Buying one at tech would be way easier for both of us but if you cant make it, or have a buddy go on your behalf, go ahead and message me and I will get ya sorted out. The trailer closes but if I am on site and ya need my help i do my best to be accommodating. You wouln't be the first person to come pike me up Tree Bar, drive me to your pit, show me the weird plumbing piece you need to replace, drive me back to the trailer, find the part, go back t your pit, make sure it fits, and then you take me back to the tree bar.

We have these pre cut for Impacts, HJC, and Pyrotects. Other brands we offer a one size fits all kit you just trim yourself to fit.

swiftracing5

Reaction
It just so happens that ERIK IRVINE is paying my way this race so I’ll have him grab one for me.

isdtbower

Reaction
Rainx has never worked for me unless fully raining. Fog droplets on the inside if you are sweating, and on the outside when stopped. Maybe your experience is the dry desert, But not good in Nor Cal.

ErikIrvine

Reaction
It just so happens that ERIK IRVINE is paying my way this race so I’ll have him grab one for me.
Yes Ben I will be shelling out the dough. Go ahead and grab a table near Tech on Freemont St. and have all of your race buddies stop by and grab a drink on me. I'll be there a little late. If I'm not there, just keep waiting...

ErikIrvine

Reaction
If for some reason I don't make it by closing, due to an unforeseen circumstance, go ahead and pay for all the food and booze and I will make sure to reimburse you.

scottm

Reaction

Zac Reish

Reaction
Can we put it on the back of the blue ball so Derek doesn’t have to replace his caved in rear bumper Saturday.

I wish I had it on Erik’s roof when I rolled his 10 car. Those rolled aluminum roof lids aren’t cheap.

McCredie A

Reaction
Can we put it on the back of the blue ball so Derek doesn’t have to replace his caved in rear bumper Saturday.

I wish I had it on Erik’s roof when I rolled his 10 car. Those rolled aluminum roof lids aren’t cheap.

Pun intended?