HELMETS and YOU!!!

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
So I was installing my R3 rings on my helmet and figured that maybe I should read the owners manual of my HJC helmet, well I was a bit shocked...first off, how many of you knew that you can simply take off all the padding and throw it in the washer? Well I did it and it's really clean now, also, I read that if you drill holes into it, it can compromise your safety, the biggest SHOCKER to ME was that the helmet is only intended for ONE shock, so if you drop it even from 4 feet high you should discard and destroy the helmet.........my question is..........how long do you use your helmet and if you roll (PETE :D CLYDE) do you discard it and get a new one or do you keep it until SCORE stops accepting them???

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64084

It's pretty common knowledge helmets are supposed to be replaced after a hard impact. That is what they are designed to do. Some people don't because of the cost. (motocross is my background and I've seen it)

There are impact indicator stickers that you can buy that let you know if your helmet has taken an impact that would compromise the structural integrity and strength of it.

http://www.shok-spotr.com/

You just got to remember how much is your head worth to you.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
So I was installing my R3 rings on my helmet and figured that maybe I should read the owners manual of my HJC helmet, well I was a bit shocked...first off, how many of you knew that you can simply take off all the padding and throw it in the washer? Well I did it and it's really clean now, also, I read that if you drill holes into it, it can compromise your safety, the biggest SHOCKER to ME was that the helmet is only intended for ONE shock, so if you drop it even from 4 feet high you should discard and destroy the helmet.........my question is..........how long do you use your helmet and if you roll (PETE :D CLYDE) do you discard it and get a new one or do you keep it until SCORE stops accepting them???
Yep!!!! your helmet is like an Egg!! it's easy to break!!!!!

dnf736

Reaction
I saved a helmet from a moderate crash just to show people how much the foam compresses and absorbs the impact of your head hitting a stationary object and why they are junk after a crash, Id put up a pic of it but I cant find my dang camera.

But yes, one time use, replace after impact.

I even have a superstition about new helmets, I scratch them before I ever wear them because history has proven (in my case), sctatch it before use or scratch it during use which (in my case) usually results in a concussion.

EDIT I found a pic of my bike helmet after a weekend at Mammoth,this is usually what you cant see inside of a regular helmet, good example of what the foam does when you take a good dinger.

Last edited:

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
so I dinged my head a few time on a side bar last race....should I replace it...?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
I even have a superstition about new helmets, I scratch them before I ever wear them because history has proven (in my case), sctatch it before use or scratch it during use which (in my case) usually results in a concussion.
That just isn't you. I think everyone does that. lol

so I dinged my head a few time on a side bar last race....should I replace it...?
I would think just a few dings i.e. paint scratching dings would be fine. But if there are dents, or if you got whiplash from the impacts, I would definitely take it to a dealer and see what they think.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Did it really Hurt????? if not NO!!!
not really, just saw a couple of stars and it was more of a loud bang than anything painful...no dents though

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
the biggest SHOCKER to ME was that the helmet is only intended for ONE shock, so if you drop it even from 4 feet high you should discard and destroy the helmet
Depends on the rating really.

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not.

rickf

Reaction
Most major helmet manufacturers offer inspection service.

BTW, heat and age GREATLY diminish helmet integrity.

Take it from the 'Human Lawn Dart'.

chmr03

Reaction
replace my helmet:confused: but besides the dinger its still nice and shiney:rolleyes: i know, ill just put i sticker and pretend the dinger isnt there:D

ok after this thread, i will never say that again :D