Helo help?

Drprepper

Just curious, I heard that on day 2 the truggy was broke and the helo landed and brought them parts. I thought this is a DQ offence, yet in the results I see it finshed. If true, how does this work?

E&S Racing

F.A.I.T.H.
Nice first post. This will get you some friends... Did you see it happen?

Forty1Racing

not only DQ, but depending on how it went down may result in someone losing their license! :eek:

JB-13

I think the only way (if this is true) that a DQ would happen is if an official saw it happen or if it is on video.

Drprepper

No, I did'nt see it. Only heard it. I don't mean to start any trouble, but thought with the dnf rule and time limits, could you do this and take a dnf or does it still mean a DQ?

jbarker@banks

Yes it's an instant DQ. My pit may be the source of this rumor. On day one AND two a helo landed in my pit (pit 2). The first day (no joke) a truck pulled in hauling a fuel tanker and refuled the helo on the ground just outside the pit area. In case your wondering, yes, I did call it in to race control. On the second day, pit 2 again, a helo landed AGAIN, never shut off the engine and nobody got out. Again, yes I did call it in to race control. Both times I watched them the entire time to make sure they wern't breaking any of the race rules. Most likley sombody heard us call it in on the radio that a "helo just landed in pit 2".

CRAIG_HALL

Not sure of rules regarding refueling the helo's, but it's common practice to see them refueled near the pits..

jbarker@banks

Not sure of rules regarding refueling the helo's, but it's common practice to see them refueled near the pits..
Exactly. On day one they just filled it back up. On day two it landed oppsite of the pit and just sat there for five or ten minutes and took off again. I'm pretty sure it was the same one that crash landed later that day:eek:

JWK Motorsports

ya heard there were 3 people... 2 people got hurt, not sure how bad.. the third was okay i guess?! all 3 survived so thats a good thing!

jbarker@banks

From what I was hearing on day 2 everyone on board survived.
From what I heard, hard landing that broke one of the skids and it flopped on it's side. Glad nobody died in that one.

Sorry i just can't help myself:D
[video=youtube;nr_CJL1YQRc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_CJL1YQRc[/video]

Tipracer

When they are ready to tell their story I'm sure they will, just glad everyone is OK....Bad enough that the pilot has to explain that one

nohandslance

The Herbst helicopter landed at Mina pit, #7 day 2, I assume it was Mike Smith and company that got out, walked over to the Chase truck and waited for the #19 TT to drive by. Then they flew off to Pit #8. We all had a good long look at all the cars as they came down out of the canyon, I think he just wants to see how the truck is handling and the motor sounding. I wish I had a helicopter.

mawtrophykart

Get rid of helicopters peroid! It's cheating! Helicopters give way to much advatge to the drivers that have them. It seems like every other race one crashes and kills someone. Keep them around only for emergencies.

Chase 2

Get rid of helicopters peroid! It's cheating! Helicopters give way to much advatge to the drivers that have them. It seems like every other race one crashes and kills someone. Keep them around only for emergencies.
Congratulations on your V2R win Dave and for the new addition!

Sorry, but I disagree with you on the chopper issue. I suppose many of you who have not had choppers think that it is cheating and of course there are those who cheat with them. However there are teams who cheat, if they have choppers or not. The teams I've been on typically have at least an EMT on board, and the pilot with my current team is an MD. You know that any team's chopper would set down to help anyone in an emergency on course.

I have re-fueled choppers for a lot of different teams since the start of the TT class. Landing and re-fueling choppers in remote locations is legal. Landing the chopper and having the crew chief get out to look or listen to the car is legal. Carrying parts or transporting people who drive or work on the car is not. Although legal to do, re-fueling "Hot" (while the chopper is running) is not something that is very safe to do.

I have also seen a lot of really stupid flying over the races and for some reason it typically is associated with filming, not with team safety. I think that a very firm 500ft off of the deck minimum should be strictly enforced.

bajaford

The chopper that crashed was carrying an EMT. He would have landed for any team that needed medical help. When the Cls 1 car cartwheeled at parker, he landed and assisted. In Mexico he warns Weatherman of any boobytraps he sees.
At V2R the chopper did not communicate with the truck or the crews. At the end of the race we get to watch some cool video!