Help a Downed Racer!

Rich Roberts

Reaction
Last weekend at the SADR race in Rocky Point Mexico one of our off-road brothers Dale Steinke was co driving in a 10 Car when they got stuck and got out of the car.
Dale has a broken femur on one leg and multiple fractures on his other lower leg along with some internal injuries. Dale is a self employed fabricator (SandTrix) and will need financial help until he gets recovered. I have set up a Go Fund me page with the link at the bottom of the post.
IMG_2879 (1).PNG

DONATE AT:

Last edited by a moderator:

motoxscott

Reaction
Wow ... terrible news. I'd suggest having the admins change the title of this to something like "Help a fellow downed racer" it's will get more attention and intern more support from the RDC community. @klaus what you think?

- Scott

J Burleson

Reaction
sorry to hear about this! sounds like Dale is lucky to be alive. karma is a bitch and they'll get theirs! I wish i could have donated more, but I guess every bit counts. here's to a speedy recovery!

Rich Roberts

Reaction
Wow ... terrible news. I'd suggest having the admins change the title of this to something like "Help a fellow downed racer" it's will get more attention and intern more support from the RDC community. @klaus what you think?

- Scott
Thanks Scott, I took your Advice and edited the title.

Porboy

Reaction
Just curious, does the insurance from the race cover any of this or is it just stuff like transportation to the hospital? One of my fears when racing is getting hurt and not being able to support my family.

Rich Roberts

Reaction
To answer your question Porboy I think that the race insurance pays out where your health insurance doesn't. Like deductibles, co-pays, etc. He needs the financial help with paying his day to day living expenses. It will take a extended time period for him to recover and being self employed fabricator makes working pretty difficult.

Rich Roberts

Reaction
BTW, nothing against Go Fund Me but they take 7.5% of your donations. That said for those of you that know and trust me can send your donations directly to me. I will see that it goes to Dale. You can PM me for address info.

harleys dad

Reaction
Is there a chance they did not see him? I would almost bet they have no idea they hit him. You may be smearing them when they have no idea this happened. You certainly would not feel it and tons of racers never look at this site

Rich Roberts

Reaction
After some serious thought I feel bad playing the name game, calling folks out, etc. I apologize for any hurt feelings, tarnished reputations and any internet stirring that I caused. The most important thing is Dale's recovery. We are all a big family and pull together during difficult times like these! Thanks for all the kind words for Dale and donations you have sent. Please keep them coming.

Robin Hood

Reaction
I can tell you they jack rabbited us...

Attachments

• 12029554_959534814092903_5250188170310557714_o.jpg
    12029554_959534814092903_5250188170310557714_o.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 458

green787

Reaction
Plowing blindly through the silt until you hit something or somebody is the next safety issue that needs to be addressed.....

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Did you happen reach out to Fast-Aid ?

Fast-Aid has been in touch and we look forward to the possibility of being of assistance to one of our own in la familia... Those day to day expenses are exactly where we have been able to help dozens of others and continue to exist read to make that very meaningful difference in the life of the next person we are able to help. All donations are tax-deductible.

Rich Roberts

Reaction
I agree about plowing blindly through the dust. I think if you took away GPS it would stop a lot of this. Drivers and their co drivers don't read the terrain anymore they just read the GPS. I realize that some will argue that it is safer because you can mark the bad spots but you have several different classes racing at the same time at different speeds with some going 100 MPH or more driving by their GPS=disaster. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

JDDurfey

Reaction
While racing dirt bikes with no GPS I rode blindly through the dust all the time. You have no choice, but do so if you are going to pass someone and be competitive. Occasionally it bites your butt and other times it works great. Taking away GPS will not solve this issue. Lets just pave the race courses then there won't be any dust....just kidding.

Rich Roberts

Reaction
I knew Not everyone would agree with me lol! Before GPS you would judge what was coming up by the guy in front of you hitting his brakes and hoping his brake lights worked! That is if you get close enough.

Robin Hood

Reaction
The upper part of the course where this happened was very silty, fine dirt and there was little to no wind. If you didn't drive through dust you were parked on the side of the road.

One of the big problems was several of the cars did not have rear amber, blue and/or brake lights. It made it very difficult to safely run up on them in the silty conditions. Most of my experience is racing a single seater before GPS was so popular. I struggled reading the terrain in the blinding silt because the course was so overgrown, the lines are not burned in and there were no rear lights on several vehicles.