Help Connecting LeadNav to PCI Intercom

E.Hagle

Reaction
Can anyone tell me if there’s a certain cable or a proper way to connect a LeadNav into our PCI intercom? Info to do it is oddly scarce. We aren’t running LeadNav for anything other than the audio notes, iPad is going to be tucked in a bag hooked up to an external batter source.

Kirk_Babbington

Reaction
Bluetooth.

I use the PCI B1 for my single seat 10 car, along with an old iphone 7 and an external GPS antenna from DUAL.. Not sure if you have a two seat car, but PCI also makes bluetooth enabled intercoms and I believe they can add bluetooth to some existing intercoms.

Be sure to configure the pairing settings well before race day and test it out multiple times while turning the car/devices on and off to ensure everything is connecting properly. The external GPS antenna is bluetooth as well and makes a big difference over the internal iphone chip.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Bluetooth.

I use the PCI B1 for my single seat 10 car, along with an old iphone 7 and an external GPS antenna from DUAL.. Not sure if you have a two seat car, but PCI also makes bluetooth enabled intercoms and I believe they can add bluetooth to some existing intercoms.

Be sure to configure the pairing settings well before race day and test it out multiple times while turning the car/devices on and off to ensure everything is connecting properly. The external GPS antenna is bluetooth as well and makes a big difference over the internal iphone chip.
Thanks for the response. We have a 2 seat car and I have the DUAL antenna that LeadNav recommends as well. I’m hoping to not have to replace the intercom because we may only run one race a year with a single seat setup.

EL ROMAN

Reaction
Does your intercom have the audio plug in? If so, plug your iPad into the intercom with a cord if you don't have bluetooth. Also one suggestion, keep the iPad or iPhone in a place where it will not heat up. The only problem I hear from people using the iPad/LeadNav set up is that the iPad overheats (usually because it is in direct sunlight on their dash). Other than that, I love my set up with the iPad. The Lowrance is now our backup only. If you have the room, get the Mob Armor mount and case. You can bolt it up to any tube as a secondary GPS, then you'll ensure you get airflow to it to prevent it from overheating.

Reaction
Does your intercom have the audio plug in? If so, plug your iPad into the intercom with a cord if you don't have bluetooth. Also one suggestion, keep the iPad or iPhone in a place where it will not heat up. The only problem I hear from people using the iPad/LeadNav set up is that the iPad overheats (usually because it is in direct sunlight on their dash). Other than that, I love my set up with the iPad. The Lowrance is now our backup only. If you have the room, get the Mob Armor mount and case. You can bolt it up to any tube as a secondary GPS, then you'll ensure you get airflow to it to prevent it from overheating.
I tried using LeadNav for 2 seasons and had nothing but problems... Showing my location incorrectly, lag in response time, not being able to push buttons to adjust , loop function not working, exiting prerunn mode during a race, intermittently crashing etc. I just gave up and bought a new Lowrance last week.

E.Hagle

Reaction
I was planning on running my iPad strictly for LeadNav audio, then using a smaller unit on the dash for gps. I had the intention of sticking the iPad into a pouch and just leaving it tucked away in the bag but now I fear it will overheat in there. Maybe I’ll load up a few ice packs in there with it.

Zambo

Reaction
First of all its not going to overheat if its not sitting in the sun unless it is just ridiculously hot in the car. If all you're doing is using it for the voice notes and not looking at it, why wouldn't you just use a phone instead? Does your phone ever get too hot just sitting in your pocket? Mine has never crapped out like that. Plus every phone has GPS built in. It isn't super fast like a puck that updates 10x per second, but for voice notes its fast enough. Heck it takes 2-3 seconds for Leadnav to spit out the voice cue anyway.

Call PCI and tell them which intercom you have and they'll let you know the best way to connect. Sometimes it is a molex connector, sometimes is 5-pin, etc. I recommend bluetooth for the simple reason that if you ever have to charge the device while using it, there is often engine noise ported from the tablet/phone into the intercom through a hardwire connection. But a phone with the screen off in airplane mode should work all day without needing to be charged. Also consider charging with a battery pack instead of hooking into the vehicle 12v system, to help with noise if you are connecting with a cable.

E.Hagle

Reaction
First of all its not going to overheat if its not sitting in the sun unless it is just ridiculously hot in the car. If all you're doing is using it for the voice notes and not looking at it, why wouldn't you just use a phone instead? Does your phone ever get too hot just sitting in your pocket? Mine has never crapped out like that. Plus every phone has GPS built in. It isn't super fast like a puck that updates 10x per second, but for voice notes its fast enough. Heck it takes 2-3 seconds for Leadnav to spit out the voice cue anyway.

Call PCI and tell them which intercom you have and they'll let you know the best way to connect. Sometimes it is a molex connector, sometimes is 5-pin, etc. I recommend bluetooth for the simple reason that if you ever have to charge the device while using it, there is often engine noise ported from the tablet/phone into the intercom through a hardwire connection. But a phone with the screen off in airplane mode should work all day without needing to be charged. Also consider charging with a battery pack instead of hooking into the vehicle 12v system, to help with noise if you are connecting with a cable.
I spoke with PCI. Once I looked up the cable they recommended it was an extra that we didn't use in our prerunner setup so thats taken care of.

I went to Best Buy and purchased a splitter that has a headphone jack and a charging port side by side so I can run an external battery pack as well as the needed cable that connects to the intercom.

I'm favoring the ipad because it runs the App much quicker, I'm splitting drive time with my brother, and the ipad already has a cracked screen. Plus if he breaks he'll spend the next 3 hours looking at naked pictures of my girlfriend on my phone.

92OCHO

Reaction
I spoke with PCI. Once I looked up the cable they recommended it was an extra that we didn't use in our prerunner setup so thats taken care of.

I went to Best Buy and purchased a splitter that has a headphone jack and a charging port side by side so I can run an external battery pack as well as the needed cable that connects to the intercom.

I'm favoring the ipad because it runs the App much quicker, I'm splitting drive time with my brother, and the ipad already has a cracked screen. Plus if he breaks he'll spend the next 3 hours looking at naked pictures of my girlfriend on my phone.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EL ROMAN

Reaction
I was planning on running my iPad strictly for LeadNav audio, then using a smaller unit on the dash for gps. I had the intention of sticking the iPad into a pouch and just leaving it tucked away in the bag but now I fear it will overheat in there. Maybe I’ll load up a few ice packs in there with it.
Yeah I was going to recommend the phone like Zambo mentioned, but I will say, there's advantages to the iPad. We were broken at a race behind some mountains. Radio wasn't clear, phone calls didn't work, texts to phones weren't coming in, but the iPad was getting messages. We could communicate via the iPad, and while we couldn't stream video, you're right we could look at the old photos HAHA

EL ROMAN

Reaction
I tried using LeadNav for 2 seasons and had nothing but problems... Showing my location incorrectly, lag in response time, not being able to push buttons to adjust , loop function not working, exiting prerunn mode during a race, intermittently crashing etc. I just gave up and bought a new Lowrance last week.
Hmmm there had to be some sort of connection issue. Maybe it was an older iPad? I was initially informed to get the newest version to ensure the best performance. Either way, sucks you had a bad experience, as we've had more issues with my old Lowrance than iPad/LeadNav.

Also for Zambo's point on overheating, yes a device can overheat in a pocket. Not a pants pocket, but picture a phone in a pouch, zero airflow, tucked in the dash, near the firewall (where it gets really hot) or on the floor near exhaust or transmission, with nowhere for heat to be displaced. It was recommended to me: newest version ipad, newest version iOS, shaded in the car, charging, connected to Dual SkyPro. The Mob Armor cases and mounts are just a plus!