HELP - In search of 06 CRF450 frame

stewwalker

Reaction
While prepping my bike for the 500, I noticed small crack in the motor mount on the frame. Crack is on the clutch side, upper mount that is attached to the frame spar. Upon research, I have found out that TIG welding is not a viable option (the frame would have to be re-heat treated). Does any one know of or have a TITLED 2006 CRF450R frame that is in good condition and would like to sell? Would need to ship to Texas.

Thanks

AngryShawn

Reaction
Looks to be several to choose from on fleabay, here is one

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Do you know what alloy the frames are made of? If it's 6061-T6, you can weld on it, but the HAZ zone will be about 50% of the original strength for TIG and about 70% strength for high quality MIG (using 4043 filler). Those frames may be 7000 series aluminum, I'm not sure. If you do a weld repair and want the original strength you can gusset the area/increase material thickness (aka patch plate) to stop it from breaking in the near future. Just some options if a replacement frame doesn't work out.

stewwalker

Reaction
I believe it's 7000 series. I found a local guy who says he can handle it. It's a low stress area so I'm hoping it won't be that big of an issue.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today