Help me decide where to move. . .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
OK. . .we are thinking about moving and we are looking at 3 different places based on where work is available for one of us (nuclear power plant). . .

the three places are:
-Eastern Washington

-South Texas

-Phoenix, AZ

The three places have comparable weather (at least during the summer for E. WA), all 3 are closer to our families than we are now, and all 3 have desert terrain. . .other than that there are pro's and con's but we're kinda at a toss-up on them. . .

. . .so help me out. . .do any of these 3 places have any high end fab shops that any of you know about???

I'm about ready to finish my Welding and Technical design degrees and I will be wanting to find work in the off-road fabrication field (as a welder I won't be limited very much to any particular field if I can't find a fab shop that's hiring right away so that's not the end of the world just my preference).

Thanks!!!

Zambo

Reaction
I lived in Corpus Christi for almost three years. You will not find much desert type offroading down there, it is all private ranch land. I sold my desert bike shortly after moving there. It is also miserably hot and humid. Out of the three I would pick Phoenix. Housing is incredibly depressed there right now, if you have any money you can buy a place for very little investment.

SandGurl

Reaction
Phoenix also puts you closer to Baja and fabulous racing!!!

djblakely

Reaction
With your last part of your requirements, Phoenix Az. is the only place that will offer the off road fab shop jobs. Sure you might find something in Texas or Washington, but there are several in Phx area. The other factor is drive time to races. Phx again is the best location.

Wild bill

Reaction
South texas....too humid, very little close racing
Washington....very little close racing, weather ok
Pheonix...hot but low humidity, racing everywhere close, fab shops.

Pheonix is my vote.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks guys. . .that's pretty much what I figured. . .

. . .we like Eastern Washington and there is federal employment in the nuclear industry as well as commercial which was a bonus. . .

. . .it's just too bad there isn't racing there. . .they have the terrain, public land, and space for it. . .just too bad. . .

Thanks again!

DUMP!

Reaction
Have you looked at San Onofrie nuclear power plant (I know I butchered the spelling on that one) in northern San Diego County? Don't know if they are offering any jobs in your field but San Diego is pretty much the off road racing capitol when it comes to industry producers.

Dump

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I know about San Onofre. . .I thought about getting a job there when I lived in San Diego, but I ended up working for the shipyard instead. . .San Onofre has a history of hiring and then laying off VERY frequently so they were not a very confidence inspiring career choice in my book, and not to offend anyone but I did not like living in California very much at all!!!

No problem with the people and no problem with Southern California itself, but California government has ruined California as an enjoyable place to live (not to mention the cost of a house there!!! and what was allowed to happen in SoCal as far as housing goes). . .and unless CA makes some drastic changes and it becomes a more "user friendly" place to live I will not be returning there anytime soon. . .like I said I hope that doesn't offend any of you who live there because it's not you or SoCal that I have a problem with. . .

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
Sorry, we're full. :p

I like it here. Lots of MX action anyways. And there are a few pretty cool shops in the area.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Phoenix for sure... forget the other places u will b much happier n Arizona... got the lakes and river during the summer and tons of offroading... i plan on building a home n Scottsdale after i finish my masters n Architecture... just love the area

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Thanks for rejecting So Cal. Now if we can just get another 75+ million people to do the same it might get back to the great place it was before. Just sayin'......:cool:

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I've got two sisters in Phoenix as well. . .I guess it really should be an easy choice!

Just have to convince the SO that's where we wanna go. . .

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I think the government is the problem. . .not the people. . .oh wait the people elected the government (or at least theoretically they did. . .)!!!

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
I've got two sisters in Phoenix as well. . .I guess it really should be an easy choice!

Just have to convince the SO that's where we wanna go. . .
Just remember, a lot of Phoenix, especially Tempe is a college town. So there are quite a few strip clubs, clubs, and ASU chicks running in next to nothing. But you should keep that to yourself. Just tell her it has a good school system...or something... :D

Zambo

Reaction
Well just so you know AJ it was about 70 degrees here in Socal yesterday under clear blue skies. It is almost July. :D

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I was in Phoenix this past weekend for my sister's wedding (which is what started this whole "where should we move" thing. . .especially after we floated the Salt Rive on Sunday) and I believe that Sunday was the first day it went over 100* in 15 days. . .but then again when I flew into Phoenix last June it was 112* and that was the first day in 2 weeks it had been below 114*. . .

. . .I don't mind the heat though. . .humidity is what makes the heat unbearable. . .

mebuildit

Reaction
I'm a native to Phoenix, actually Scottsdale. But think about this! California is nice but pricey, Arizona is also very nice and a little less expensive and easier to get around town. If you need a fab shop, there are a few reputable shops around town. Plus if you need work done in Cali it's only a 6 hour drive away.

Just my .02¢