Help my 97 XJ ride smoother and pick up MPH?

The_Punisher

Reaction
Hello! Hoping to improve "high speed" performance of this rig. 30-60 mph range. Didn't see how the forum was organized, told to move my thread to the appropriate "shop" section.

Here are some pictures. I try to show my bumps front and rear.

Bump stops are eibach shock shaft bumps on the fox 2.0's, and then some sumo springs (originally meant for a JK). They actually "stroke" 2 inches and so do the shock shaft bumps.

1997 XJ
-HP D44/9" 5.13's detroit/true trac
-4.7L Very high strung stroker, solid cam, 11.3:1 compression (tuned and running strong!)
-AW4 with transgo kit and winters shifter+rad designs full manual electronic control
-2800 stall converter
-33x10.50 toyos
-fox 2.0 remote res tuned by accutune offroad
-metal cloak front dual rate coils and deaver rear leafs
-12" travel front and rear
-Front stretch 1.5", rear 1" (104" wheelbase)
- 3 link front (stock jeep setup missing 1 upper control arm. arms are 3" longer than stock. RE drop brackets. Axle is pushed forward 1.5". I relocated mounting points slightly to get the other 1.5" of control arm length, everything is stronger than stock and is working well)

Jeep is 3,900 lbs, 50/50 weight distribution. It's closer to 4,000 and 49/51 when ready to wheel.

I'm running the metal cloak coils because my deaver coils would unseat about 2" at full droop hanging on the straps. I also didn't feel like I needed as much spring rate as the jeep speed guys because my rig is not as heavy. I'm probably wrong. I am happy so far with the metal cloak dual rate coils.

SO! My question for you smart dudes is what would be your #1 change to pick up a little MPH or improve the ride offroad? What would be the 2nd?

My ideas and line of thinking: (1) A bigger tire (2) Hydro bumps (3) 2.5" shocks (but shock fade is not the issue so I don't think this would have an affect) (4) More travel? (5) Front coilovers

Not the best video because I wasn't going that fast. Long day on a trail and the wife and I wanted one quick clip of it because we didn't have any.

The_Punisher

Reaction
Update: Taking videos soon for Ryan at accutune offroad. I have some PAC racing springs for the front on the way. 130# spring rate, 25" free length. Hoping this will get her tuned a little better.

kev4dez

Reaction
Punisher, Just FYI double check to see if the PAC springs are for sure available. I had a set on order from Jegs a few months back and they never showed up. Called PAC directly and they were out of stock and they did not have any interest in making any more for the XJ's. I ordered a set from Deaver and couldn't be happier. Just check it out before you get stuck waiting like I did.

The_Punisher

Reaction
Thanks and what you're saying is accurate. I ordered from PAC directly. They were not in stock and they had some in process of being made. First response I got was sorry those springs are no longer available. After some more emails and a call they're finishing the springs for me. They were already coils but had a weeks worth of work left to finish them I guess.

EOR1488

Reaction
Going to a 2.5 shock would be the first thing I did.

Larger shock isn’t just about shock fade but you need a good tunable shock. Smooth body or external bypass either would be fine.

If it was me I would find a used 2.5 external bypass on this site they do come up for cheap from time to time then that will make life a million times better. Make it so much easier for you to tune compression and rebound but low temps and just so much more dampening force in a 2.5 over ur current shock.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

The_Punisher

Reaction
Ok thanks. Here and pirate there has been a resounding call for 2.5's. Through the build I had a plan and budget. I had to give and take and the 2.5's were more than double the cost of the 2.0's. I did not spend a lot of time looking for used ones though.

JDDurfey

Reaction
If you want to know how to make an XJ ride better join Jeepspeed.com That is where many of the Jeepspeed racers show builds and give out tips.