Help, my atv has been sitting too long

ColoradoZQ8

Reaction
I'm hoping someone has made this blunder before? Last time i put away my ATV with the intention of riding it in the next few weeks. Well long story short, got caught up building a muscle car and going to school and its been a year since i was out on it. Obviously the gas is bad, so i sure i'll have to drain my tank, but what else should i do? Did that bad gas affect my carb/fuel lines?

captainuno

Reaction
Yes drain the tank, put a little gas back in it and drain it again, clean out the petcock as well. It the carb has been sitting that long with gas in the bowl, I'm sure your jets are plugged up. At the very least you need to remove the bowl and remove the Main Jet & Pilot Jet and clean them up. Also check the valve plunger assy that is connected to the float to make sure it is working properly, this could be stuck due to the laqucer left from the old gas. This should get you going, if not the the carb needs to be completely disassembled and everything cleaned.
I have an old Quad that gets riden about 1 time every couple of years, when I put it up, I just turn off the gas and run the gas out of the carb, then remove the bowl drain at the bottom to make sure all the gas is out of the carb. When I get ready to ride it, just put new gas it it and it starts right up.