• Forum membership has its advantages....

Help! My Motor is Seized!

DPpatrol

Well, I finally got my truck all together, but went I went to start my supposedly recently rebuilt 22r-te, the motor wouldn't turn over. The damn thing is seized. The motor hasn't been run since last june and got rained on a few nights when the rain surprised me before I could cover it. The motor has had oil in it since June and I doubt that much water could have gotten in cause in has always had spark plugs in it and the intake has always been together so the combustion chamber should have been sealed off. I spurted some motor oil into the combustion chamber and let it sit for 24 hours, and tried to crank it over by hand, but still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

jason

tkr

take all the plugs out, spray some WD40 or other rust penetrant into all the cylinders. Let it sit for a few hours. Then drain and refill the oil. Try to turn the crank by hand with the plugs out. If it still won't turn over......I can't think of any reason it would sieze.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

mike_hinson

Take the plugs out and add some Marvel Mystery Oil. Use it liberally. You can get it at Kragen or Pep Boys. It comes in a black and red can. Let it sit overnight before you try to crank it over.
Mike Hinson

DPpatrol

Dropped in the mystery oil tonight. We'll see if it works tommorrow. Mystery oil... it's like they try to make it sound like snake oil. The bottle even looks like one some old school pharmasist from the old west would be selling on the patio of a saloon. I must say though, the oil's red color looks very cool.

jason

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
It also works good on older motors (IE:leaded fuel) to lube the upper-end.Auto trans' like it too if they have been sitting along time.

DPpatrol

"Well, did it work?"

I'm sorry to say... no. I'm hoping I won't have to tear the motor apart, but it sure is looking that way. Any one else got some more ideas?

jason

DPpatrol

The transmission and clutch both are in good working order. It seems a little fishy to me that a motor would seize this hard for only siting 7.5 months. Sure it got rained on a couple of times, but the enitre motor was together, I don't know how water would get into the combustion chamber. I've already twisted off the head which pops into the socket of my breaker bar and stripped out the gears of my good ratchet trying to turn the motor over. This motor does not want to rotate. This isn't normal, is it?

jason

Ryno

Jason-

If there is a way to seize a motor, I have probably seen it, or done it. To be perfectly honest, it happens all the time. I've seen rodents get into motors, and make a home in the cylinders. How they got through a tiny intake port is beyond me, but I've seen it happen. I am guessing you hydrolocked a piston or two. Take off the head, and take a peek at the cylinder walls, and the head. Most of the time, after a motor has been sitting, it's the top end that siezes, not the bottom. Also, try changing the oil, and get some oil with NO DETERGENTS, it's availible from Wal Mart, cheapest stuff there. Also the slickest stuff there, but doesn't handle heat long term. Excellent for breaking in a motor, and trying to get one to move.

Ryno

PS-As far as Marvel Mystery Oil, I've also seen that stuff do wonders, quiet lifters, etc.

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

DPpatrol

Pat, you were right.

I pulled of the transmission today and it turns out the pressure plate had gotten lodged into the bellhousing of the transmission. The clutch and flywheel on turbo/V6 yotas are larger than normal 4 cly ones.
I'm using a normal 4 cly transmission in my truck, not a turbo/v6 unit, so when I put the transmission on, the larger pressure plate rubbed against the bellhousing preventing the motor from turning over. Once I took the transmission off, the motor turned nice and easily. My friend at the junkyard is bringing me home a flywheel from a 22r tommorrow and I have a 22r clutch laying around, so the truck should be together and driving Monday. aaahhhhhhhh. I feel relieved.

jason

fishd00d

What A Joke
Cool man you will be making it to the MDR race then right? I will be helping out JC also so you should see me there!

Go Big Or Go Home

Tyson

AWESOME Jason, stoked for you.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops.

DPpatrol

Well, the rain sure didn't make it easy, but at 11:30 last night, I fired up my motor for the first time and took my truck for a lap around the block. This is the first turbo vehicle I've driven, and all I can say is I'm hooked on turbo chargers. There's still a few bugs to be worked out, but I'm stoked to have the thing finally running. Now just need to get it registered.

jason